Newcastle United 1 - 0 Club Brugge - 25/10/12 - post-match reaction from page 24

Dave

I'd have taken 1-0 before kick off with that team. It relied completely on Sammy and Obertan having a good game and thankfully they did. Sammy is possibly the new Ben Arfa and the goal was hilarious.

Poor Cisse though. Could have had 3 on another day.

Quite enjoyed it tbh. Never looked like losing it and we knocked it about well at times. Wasn't perfect and you could tell we made 9 changes from the derby but to roll over a good Belgian team in that manner with that set of players is decent imo. Loads of purples rested for Sunday and we've got 7 out of 9 in Europe.

Not sure what more people want tbh. :dontknow:

I can understand some being a little frustrated we didn't make the most of our dominance, I was a little disappointed we didn't get one or two more but some of the reactions seem like it's gone a lot further than that.

I really appreciated seeing fringe/youth players coming in and really putting in a performance.

Quite enjoyed it tbh. Never looked like losing it and we knocked it about well at times. Wasn't perfect and you could tell we made 9 changes from the derby but to roll over a good Belgian team in that manner with that set of players is decent imo. Loads of purples rested for Sunday and we've got 7 out of 9 in Europe.

Not sure what more people want tbh. :dontknow:

Agree. Maybe watching it from the sofa made it a bit more palatable.

Well we got the win but it was a minging one. Felt we were lucky to escape with the win.

The repeated Saville/Cattermole chants were awful and I wish they'd stop doing them. It wasn't even funny the first time, so stop it.

We're just not getting the ball into Cisse's feet enough, he's not terrible in the air but he's not great, he likes to play on the shoulder, have it into his feet so he can get a shot away. Part of the problem is that the rest of the team are so desperate to help him score that they try and give him the ball too early, it was the same with Ba last year. Goals will come for him if he and everyone else stops worrying about it, like they/we all did with Ba over the summer. I really don't want us to start jerking knees and be starting Shola ahead of a player who is still one of Europe's most lethal strikers.

Sammy had a great chance to slide him into a position where he simply would not have missed, just after we scored, but opted to be a bit greedy. Very frustrating.

We're just not getting the ball into Cisse's feet enough, he's not terrible in the air but he's not great, he likes to play on the shoulder, have it into his feet so he can get a shot away. Part of the problem is that the rest of the team are so desperate to help him score that they try and give him the ball too early, it was the same with Ba last year. Goals will come for him if he and everyone else stops worrying about it, like they/we all did with Ba over the summer. I really don't want us to start jerking knees and be starting Shola ahead of a player who is still one of Europe's most lethal strikers.

Sammy had a great chance to slide him into a position where he simply would not have missed, just after we scored, but opted to be a bit greedy. Very frustrating.

Completely agree with all of that 100% :thup:

Totally agree, I wish people would stop obsessing over Cisse's (lack of) goals this season. He's pure class, he's been getting into all the right positions this season....its only a matter of time before he hits form. Chill.

This. Word for word.

I also agree with Wullie, but think Neesy and Mick are big softies. It wasn't that cold (I say p*ssed and warm in bed).

I went out with no coat on which was a massive mistake.  It didn't help that our tickets were about 5 or 6 rows from the front so the seat was wet and I was soaking for the whole match.  People actually sit in those seats every game.  :lol:

Sitting behind that Arooga cunt for the whole game, he had a massive hat on.

He also kept picking his arse (I can only assumed he had shit stained knickers)

Can't even remember the game, was so dull. Probably been said already but every chant was either about Saville or Sunderland. "Your support is fucking shit" sang to the 3,000+ Brugge fans, aye, spend that £5 on a new pencil case instead of a ticket.

Knackered.

Sitting behind that Arooga cunt for the whole game, he had a massive hat on.

:) Glad to see he's still alright, haven't seen him in a couple of years.

Pretty uninspiring performance and it was bloody cold.

Brugge singing "shall we sing a song for you" was about right; our songs were shite. JS isn't Catt's dad and the Brugge support wasn't shite; they sold out and 3 more were sat in front of me in The Milburn.

At times Tiote and Bigi were seeing who between them could miss place a pass better. Obertan took his goal well and ran fast but his actual play was rubbish. His crossing was poor, his passing was poor and when he got moved to left he may as well have been sitting with me.

Sammy was the bright spot but he needs to learn to pass at the right time. Anita looks like he'll need fine. Brugge could well argue that they were worth a point. We may do ok over there as they set up to hit us quickly on the break and as the home side they may set up differently.

A fairly uninspiring match, but I've been to worse. The 3 defensive midfielders was just appauling, I hope he never tries that again. I also hope he realises that once he went to 4-4-2 we found it difficult to win the ball, and that playing the formation against a passing side like West Brom will end in tears. Sammy was great for an hour then tired badly, Obertan actually beat his man, grafted and scored (not all at once), Ferguson was great, everybody else turned up. It was cold. Let's move on.

Felt like winter at the game tonight, blooming freezing.

I've just thawed out.

I nipped onto the high street on arrival and purchased an extra layer and gloves :lol:

Harper 6

Santon 6 (prefer him at LB)

Taylor 6

Perch

Ferguson 8

Bigi 6

Tiote 5

Anita 4

Obertan 8

Sammy 8

Cisse 7

Colo 8

Cabaye 7

Ameobi 6/7

Am now sat at my desk, eyes blood red, running on 4 hours sleep having driven 200 odd miles to get home.  It's going to be a very long day.

The formational switch/substitution was a double-edged sword, we needed to do it because there was no impetus going forward but it allowed them to have a lot more of the ball in midfield 2nd half.

Some extremely sloppy play and some really promising moments mixed in together in a game that was very dull for large stretches. Getting a bit bored of us grinding out narrow victories like.

This is spot on.  And it must be highlighted that the switch in formation was not a significant contributing factor in our goal.

4-3-3 all the way.

Our 4-3-3 controlled the game but without Cabaye as the advanced player had no creativity, with Cabaye we can control and attack and I want to see that more. What we saw today may be a good strategy when we desperately need to contain a team with little midfield presence but great strikers

Brugge singing "shall we sing a song for you" was about right; our songs were s****. JS isn't Catt's dad and the Brugge support wasn't s****; they sold out and 3 more were sat in front of me in The Milburn.

I was in 1892, and they were dotted around behind me too. However from what I could tell they also had the entire Milburn Paddock B! Was utterly bizarre having them jumping up waving their hands when I decision went against them.