Southampton vs. Newcastle United - 25/11/12 @ 3pm (No TV)

Rich

Now that Pards has said we need to try and grind out a win, we'll probably knock four goals in and play some attractive, free-flowing football. :lol:

You on meth?

Nar man, it's a pretty obvious pattern that whatever Pardew says, the opposite happens/happened.

I want him to come out now and say "I think we'll try and lose some football matches" to test the theory.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20121123/krul-well-build-from-the-back_2281670_2989515

Nigel Adkins' newly-promoted Saints are currently 19th in the table and boast the worst defensive record in the league, having shipped 30 goals in 12 matches. But they've scored 18, which is more than every other side in the bottom half of the table.

So Newcastle will have to defend well if they are to record another clean sheet - but Krul is hoping they can do exactly that.

"It would be nice," he said. "Last year that was our base - keeping clean sheets and then nicking wins.

"But it wasn't meant to be recently. We haven't had that bit of luck we maybe had last season - I think that's the most important thing - and maybe that little bit of quality to just nick that goal and go 1-0 up instead of 1-0 down.

"I think that's what's been lacking in the last couple of weeks."

:anguish:

I'd be completely f***ing p*ssed off if I were yous, with those comments.

And to say you haven't had luck? :lol: Give me a break.

one debatable sending off, one that wasn't, a sending off at your place that we didn't get to offset the offside goal and the other goal that never was came from a free kick that never was, for the goal off cisse's arse equal that with the og off dembas face.

it's like the mackems saying how lucky we were last season with injuries but we had saylor out most of ther season, ben arfa took over half a season to get back and tiote missed a few with injury as did williamson and santon.

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20121123/krul-well-build-from-the-back_2281670_2989515

Nigel Adkins' newly-promoted Saints are currently 19th in the table and boast the worst defensive record in the league, having shipped 30 goals in 12 matches. But they've scored 18, which is more than every other side in the bottom half of the table.

So Newcastle will have to defend well if they are to record another clean sheet - but Krul is hoping they can do exactly that.

"It would be nice," he said. "Last year that was our base - keeping clean sheets and then nicking wins.

"But it wasn't meant to be recently. We haven't had that bit of luck we maybe had last season - I think that's the most important thing - and maybe that little bit of quality to just nick that goal and go 1-0 up instead of 1-0 down.

"I think that's what's been lacking in the last couple of weeks."

:anguish:

May of course be completely wrong, but just can't help feel that's something Pardew has gone on about.

If we don't go up first, we lose/draw. If we "nick a goal", we'll be able to defend a win.

In any case, dreadful quotes.

one debatable sending off, one that wasn't, a sending off at your place that we didn't get to offset the offside goal and the other goal that never was came from a free kick that never was, for the goal off cisse's arse equal that with the og off dembas face.

it's like the mackems saying how lucky we were last season with injuries but we had saylor out most of ther season, ben arfa took over half a season to get back and tiote missed a few with injury as did williamson and santon.

2nd goal at Reading was a handball, Cabaye's shot in the derby was in fact deflected which isn't really mentioned, we could go on.

There's no getting away from the fact you've had an above average amount of fortuitous moments this season, which tends to be overlooked when a team is performing below expectations. Not that that will be a popular opinion.

And that's coming from someone who thinks you'll still finish in the top 8 and on a very similar amount of points - perhaps more - as us, despite all the comments on this forum about how you're playing currently.

2nd goal at Reading was a handball, Cabaye's shot in the derby was in fact deflected which isn't really mentioned, we could go on.

There's no getting away from the fact you've had an above average amount of fortuitous moments this season, which tends to be overlooked when a team is performing below expectations. Not that that will be a popular opinion.

And that's coming from someone who thinks you'll still finish in the top 8 and on a very similar amount of points - perhaps more - as us, despite all the comments on this forum about how you're playing currently.

west hams goal came from a mis kick as did readings opener if we're counting  things like slight deflections when the balls probably going in anyway. we've had more luck through not getting beat when playing crap than actual decisions.

2nd goal at Reading was a handball, Cabaye's shot in the derby was in fact deflected which isn't really mentioned , we could go on.

Aye, definitely one for the dubious goals panel.

I don't know what the popular opinion is, as madras has (succinctly) demonstrated.

What counts as a good season in the league this year? Hopefully you prioritise the Uefa Cup when it comes to the knockout stages because that, surely, is where last season's efforts need to bear fruit?

I don't know what the popular opinion is, as madras has demonstrated.

i'm not saying we haven't had some luck btw, just that imo it's nowhere near as one sided as some seem to think and once you get a reputation for it it sticks, as i said, like the lucky with injuries tag last season.

Yup, and it's safe to say you're having some rotten luck currently with injuries. My general point was, IMO, in the games I've seen this year you've had quite a few fortuitous moments go your way, and that that is often understated when a team is generally believed to be performing below fans' expectations.

Regardless, you don't finish 5th through luck. You may be going through a rocky spell currently but I find it unfathomable that you can't start recreating some of the form you were showing last year. It doesn't go away just like that.

Regardless, you don't finish 5th through luck. You may be going through a rocky spell currently but I find it unfathomable that you can't start recreating some of the form you were showing last year. It doesn't go away just like that.

To a large extent we are recreating some of the form we saw last year.  Look back through the old Pardew thread and there's plenty of complaints about the performances and style of football even though the results were going our way.

Depends on your definition of handball.