Not worthy of a thread - Euro 2020 edition

Disco

• 10 months later...
Guest neesy111

Absolute lunatics, never should have been spread all over Europe in the first place. Nightmare for fans.

No one bidded to host it.

• 2 months later...

update in this, countries have been updating uefa on what crowds will be allowed in for this and Dublin will probably lose the games here because we can't make any promises on a minimum 25% capactiy UEFA want 

Rob Harris on Twitter: "Breaking from Football Association of Ireland says they have "today notified UEFA that owing to the COVID-19 pandemic it is not in a position at this point to provide assurances on minimum spectator levels at the UEFA EURO 2020 matches due to be held in Dublin in June"" / Twitter

The fact this insanity is still going ahead across the continent when it is perfectly possible to host it in one country (UK being the obvious choice atm) is utter stupidity imho 

Edited by jdckelly

Guest neesy111
5 minutes ago, St. Maximin said:

Maybe I'm ignorant of the risks but I really don't see why a country would not justify having 25% full stadiums in over two months time, given they are outdoors and how spread out people will be.

There's a big third wave happening in Europe, they don't want to make commitments while they are still vaccinating their population and I suspect making exceptions for a football tournament would not go down well.

I personally don't see the point of an international football tournament without fans, or at even quarter capacity. Club football is bad enough without it - but international tournaments live and die by the spectacle and atmosphere. If it can't be played without full stadiums and international fans then just postpone until next summer. 

It's different with the Olympics because often the athletes have trained their whole lives for such a narrow window of time - and for some sports that comes along once in a lifetime. There is not the same tribalism/carnival to proceedings that really needs full crowd or travelling supporters. Football on the other hand can, and should, live with holding off until a proper event can take place.

Edited by ponsaelius

2 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

I personally don't see the point of an international football tournament without fans, or at even quarter capacity. Club football is bad enough without it - but international tournaments live and die by the spectacle and atmosphere. If it can't be played without full stadiums and international fans then just postpone until next summer. 

It's different with the Olympics because often the athletes have trained their whole lives for such a narrow window of time - and for some sports that comes along once in a lifetime. There is not the same tribalism/carnival to proceedings that really needs full crowd or travelling supporters. Football on the other hand can, and should, live with holding off until a proper event can take place.

I'd agree if it hadnt already been delayed a year but Im not sure else when it could be played. Next summer before a World Cup a few months later, or the summer of 2023 crammed between aforementioned World Cup and Euro 2024. Any other time but now and it would lose that feel of importance that a two year wait for an international tournament brings. 

It wont have the feel of the Euros, and itll be totally lackluster in terms of atmosphere but I'm still massively looking forward to it. A welcome break from the direness of watching Newcastle, the chance to actually watch football with people and dare I say it in a public social setting. Itll be massively welcome come June when we're finally dropping any social distancing restrictions and itll go things feeling normal again imo. 

4 hours ago, LFEE said:

Should’ve just skipped a whole tournament and held it 2024.

Absolute bollocks.

number one the players 

number 2 it’s better to have it than nothing - for fucks sake at least the football is semi something to look forward to at the moment

number 3 it’s likely because of vaccines and being the summer places will be open so again nice to have this 

why do some people just want nothing for years for fucks sake miserable fuckers

even with no fans and no places to go that would say we are stuck inside and again it would still be good to enjoy inside 

Not just Finland but North Macedonia, Scotland, Austria, Slovakia are all making rare appearances. 

Yes it won’t be as good as usual but for countries like these it’s huge regardless of the situation. Likewise players that would miss out if the year was changed.

Classic shite English and big country imperialism. Angry because it’s not their ideal therefore shouldn’t count. 

I didn’t say scrap who’s qualified. Just would’ve been easier for the calendar to slot it in for 2024. There’s always the Olympics which is practically a professional tournament nowadays for something to watch.

Would’ve possibly helped ease the issues of having the 2022 World Cup out of sync with not needing qualifiers for 2024.

They certainly should’ve ditched the awful idea of it being held in various countries as that was always madness and put me off from attending this time round as feel it defeats the whole purpose from a fan’s experience of international football.

On both counts I’m just of the opinion less is more.

Edited by LFEE