Not worthy of a thread - Euro 2020 edition

Disco

3 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

I would think end of June is too optimistic mate. You can’t run full capacity stadium events when the whole population hasn’t been offered the vaccine. I’d be looking at the new season when we get back to 75% plus capacity 

Well isn’t the plan is for that to be the case in june anyway? 

I know I’m being optimistic but surely come June if the cases are still very low or lower and there’s a lot of people vaccinated there can’t be justification to not open up? 

Guest neesy111
5 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Aim is/was 25% I thought.

UEFA yes.

UK government wants all restrictions gone though by then, that's what tgarve is on about.

Guest neesy111

A number of scientists are warning of a 3rd/4th wave this summer btw, don't see complete normality until everyone is vaccinated fully.

17 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

A number of scientists are warning of a 3rd/4th wave this summer btw, don't see complete normality until everyone is vaccinated fully.

Do you have links to this ? 

21 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Yeah, about the same number who say we'll have population-level immunity by end of summer. Seems like these opinions differ a lot.

4 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Think we have to remember the imperative to scare the public into not breaking the rules, and the differing opinion between scientists. 

TBH I don't think the BBC et al should be making headlines about this kind of thing.

it wouldn't surprise me one bit if we have a third wave this summer, but from my minimal knowledge of covid it should be a lot different with the continued vaccine rollout. Millions still won't receive the vaccine so there is still scope for the virus to infect people regardless. However, the speed of the rollout, studies pointing to vaccine success and excess deaths stats are very encouraging. It seems pretty reasonable to have half-full stadiums in July given they're outdoors, but full stadiums seems pretty optimistic.

Guest neesy111
16 minutes ago, St. Maximin said:

it wouldn't surprise me one bit if we have a third wave this summer, but from my minimal knowledge of covid it should be a lot different with the continued vaccine rollout. Millions still won't receive the vaccine so there is still scope for the virus to infect people regardless. However, the speed of the rollout, studies pointing to vaccine success and excess deaths stats are very encouraging. It seems pretty reasonable to have half-full stadiums in July given they're outdoors, but full stadiums seems pretty optimistic.

Yes, deaths and hospitalisations will be less because it'll be spreading with younger age groups.  Still doesn't mean we can act as normal as long covid is still something younger people may experience etc.  It won't be lockdowns etc, but I don't see full stadiums either.

1 hour ago, geordie_b said:

All Dublin and Bilbao tickets cancelled and refunded apparently @Froggy

Aye. Then you get priority access for whatever will be left after it's raided by corporate and sponsors. Worst case scenario I'll be in London getting pissed watching it. :lol:

On 23/04/2021 at 14:07, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Think we have to remember the imperative to scare the public into not breaking the rules, and the differing opinion between scientists. 

TBH I don't think the BBC et al should be making headlines about this kind of thing.

This entire pandemic has completely shattered my previously unwavering confidence in scientific rigour. A significant amount of these supposed public health experts and are nothing but self-aggrandising, attention seeking monomaniacs. Couple them with a media industry now completely driven by the need for clicks and this has created an abominable alliance of doom.

A real shame as it taints the phenomenal achievements of scientific expertise in producing remarkable life saving vaccines on a massive scale in such a short period of time.

Edited by ponsaelius

45 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

This entire pandemic has completely shattered my previously unwavering confidence in scientific rigour. A significant amount of these supposed public health experts and are nothing but self-aggrandising, attention seeking monomaniacs. Couple them with a media industry now completely driven by the need for clicks and this has created an abominable alliance of doom.

A real shame as it taints the phenomenal achievements of scientific expertise in producing remarkable life saving vaccines on a massive scale in such a short period of time.

Surely these two things are totally separate? 

It's the incompatibility between science (fundamentally uncertain, always open to contradiction and other conclusions) and media headlines (big claims, bold statements) that doesn't work at all. 

One scientist concludes something, that might perfectly rigorous. But when the media makes another headline out of it, that makes it seem like a concrete or overall view, it doesn't make sense. 

50 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Totally agree with this.

Also a lot of scientists are mired in dogma and refuse to accept differing views because it shatters their world view and things they have been working on throughout their career.

See studies on Consciousness and whether it is located in the brain as an example. 

I'm absolutely staggered this is still going ahead as a continent wide affair. 

Europe have only just started their vaccination programmes in order and they want to have millions of fans travelling from country to country. It's insanity.