Loïc Remy

Guest bimpy474
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

It's a Lee Ryder article ffs. Don't take it as anything more than that just to appease your pride. I'm not going to question someone's personality and motives any more than at face value, just because (and especially if) Lee Ryder reports it.

He went for the money, it's as simple as that.

It's a Lee Ryder article ffs. Don't take it as anything more than that just to appease your pride. I'm not going to question someone's personality and motives any more than at face value, just because (and especially if) Lee Ryder reports it.

He went for the money, it's as simple as that.

Well, I don't know if he slept in or not, but the fact he never even had the courtesy to go up and have a look at what Newcastle had to offer, knowing full well the efforts they made to sign him, is just bizarre to me.

Let's see what happens. I have a feeling he'll get exactly what he deserves when it's all said and done.

If Carr is all that he's cracked up to be on the scouting front (including background checks on personality) I wonder why he suggested Remy as he doesn't come across too well in this whole episode? I'm not saying this based on Ryder's report but more the fact that Remy ended up at QPR simply for the money.

Guest neesy111

TBF when we're predominately meeting players and seemingly doing medicals in London I think we're doing the club/city a disservice as a sales point.

:thup:

I suspect it has to do with Ashley living down there.

Guest Roger Kint

TBF when we're predominately meeting players and seemingly doing medicals in London I think we're doing the club/city a disservice as a sales point.

What if Remy told us he had other clubs to see and that London was how it would be. As stated earlier we had arranged a trip to Newcastle, what else could we do? Beat him over the head and kidnap him?

Guest firetotheworks
:thup: Disco. Absolutely no reason to keep it out of Newcastle. The only thing I can think is that they're doing it to show just how close London actually is in terms of time getting there. Still though, it's shooting yourself in the foot a bit.

I do agree with this to some degree. Think they should be flown straight to Newcastle.

However, if all it takes is a night stop in London to do a complete 180, then there's definitely something not correct in the boy's head.

Guest neesy111

It's probably just to do with available flights.

It's a bit of a non-problem really, everyone knows London exists.

Pardew has had to travel to London as well for transfer meetings which is wrong in my book.

Guest Roger Kint

It's probably just to do with available flights.

It's a bit of a non-problem really, everyone knows London exists.

Pardew has had to travel to London as well for transfer meetings which is wrong in my book.

He was already in Norwich, are you saying he came back to Newcastle Saturday night then had to go back to London Sunday only to come back again Monday morning for training? Likely he stayed down there after the game for other business tbh.

:thup:

I suspect it has to do with Ashley living down there.

According to the last article, it was Remy that requested it be done in London.

Less than a week ago, as reported by reliable Marseille newspaper La Provence, Loic Remy had told his club that he wanted them to agree a deal with Newcastle United. He'd looked at the options available to him and made his mind up. Those options already included QPR but after thinking about the situation he decided that Newcastle United was the right option. That's where he wanted to go, Harry Redknapp had even flown out to France and spoken to him but the player wanted to play in black and white among some friends and at a club he thought would be the right one to rebuild his career.

It wasn't a hugely publicised deal, he'd have just joined and got on with things like Debuchy, someone he classes as a friend. But then what had become a small transfer in the scheme of things took a dramatic twist. It only needs a few quotes from Harry Redknapp to inflate something to larger than its actual size, and thus the Remy transfer became a big thing.

La Provence moved on to talk about an 'XXL' offer from QPR which they said was around £80k a week and things changed. Footballers can be blamed and of course it comes down to personal choice but the pressure on a man from himself to accept such a wage would be huge. What he'd earned so far in Ligue 1 would look paltry in comparison and this was a four and a half year deal that would set him, his family and their families up for the rest of their lives and provide for children and grandchildren that hadn't even yet been considered. The extra money is always needed when classified in such way.

Newcastle Untied had obviously been the place Remy wanted to rebuild himself, and to be perfectly blunt that's what needs to happen. He has not made a comeback from his injury last summer, he's had further setbacks and his form has made him a Marseille substitute  This isn't something which can be dressed up as the club pushing him to one side before a sale, he simply hasn't been good enough to get into their team.  

He has not completed one full league game for the French side so far this season, he's only started two. There have been sixteen substitute appearances and he's managed to get one league goal, a consolation during a 4-1 loss to Lyon. In November an early substitution against Ajaccio brought things to a head and his manager talked about him not being ready whilst some outside the club thought he made need things building around him, something Marseille weren't prepared to do - mainly because they didn't need to as everything else was working out for them. RMC covered it well.

It was after that game that Le10 Sport reported that Remy had spoken to those close to him and revealed he'd had thoughts about quitting the game. Since that match in early November he's started one league game and two in the Europa League, Marseille have won none of those matches.

With Cisse being the main man at Newcastle United with Demba Ba now gone, it would have given Remy a little time to be eased in. The transfer would still have been a gamble but Newcastle Untied were happy to take that and had worked hard to make a deal happen. Then QPR's money was thrown at Remy until he said yes.

Redknapp himself has been quoted by the BBC as saying "I went to see him at Marseille last week and he wasn't keen but the chairman Tony Fernandes worked ever so hard. He wouldn't give up and the boy decided to come.

"He's quick, a French international, his movement is excellent and he has the potential to be a real star in the Premier League."

In reality Remy hasn't played for France since November 2011, his last match was on the same day Bobby Zamora last played for England.

Pardew didn't kick and scream and Mike Ashley didn't throw caution to the wind and cough up a matching deal. Remy's transfer to QPR has now been confirmed and for the watching public, he's expected to be their main striker and instantly start to fire them to safety.

It could happen, the change could do Remy the world of good instantly. If it doesn't it won't take long before he's labelled a failure and how would the Frenchman, who had got fed up with the game in November, respond to that? How would QPR?

That isn't Newcastle United's problem and once the money started to get silly, it was a bullet worth dodging.

Nice summary of the saga. :thup:

Some pretty damning evidence in that report. Makes it sound like this guy couldn't replace Shola never mind Demba Ba.

To give him a deal comparable to something that Ba/Walcott/Suarez merit, sounds like total lunacy.

If Carr is all that he's cracked up to be on the scouting front (including background checks on personality) I wonder why he suggested Remy as he doesn't come across too well in this whole episode? I'm not saying this based on Ryder's report but more the fact that Remy ended up at QPR simply for the money.

If any of the things I've read about Remy's off pitch behaviour is correct, I'd be inclined to think the club overlooked a few things in pursuing him because hes one of the few (only?) available strikers in this window with a decent pedigree, especially considering his poor form as of late too. Makes me more worried about the possibility of a plan B existing.

Nothing to do with the money, it was a game of Fifa with Fernandes that changed his mind? Laughable

Heard this too. Apparently he found out Fernandes was "a really nice guy" after playing him at FIFA.

Sounds like a total nutjob tbh.