Aston Villa vs Newcastle - 29/01/13 @ 7:45pm - Not on TV

Beren

:lol:

I think about stuff like this in the same way as Sunderland-related discussions. I'm so confident in our total superiority that it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I'm absolutely fascinated by tonight's game. Are you guys mainly bricking it, or really confident? Think that should be a poll tbh.

Confidently bricking it. Ask again at 6:45 after the team sheets are announced.

I've mentioned it before, but my wife is Villa. She's just completely given up on this season. It just seems to me that even if they win, they expect to go down - almost to a man.

I think about stuff like this in the same way as Sunderland-related discussions. I'm so confident in our total superiority that it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I'm absolutely fascinated by tonight's game. Are you guys mainly bricking it, or really confident? Think that should be a poll tbh.

I've mentioned it before, but my wife is Villa. She's just completely given up on this season. It just seems to me that even if they win, they expect to go down - almost to a man.

If we play our best available team I think we will win. If any two from Shola, Jonas, Perch or even Williamson play it's a whole other story.

Look at Brummie's post a couple of pages back to confirm this. Really depressing to see such a long time supporter so depressed about his team tbh. I know a lot of NUFC-fans don't like them since our relegation, but after tonight I would really like them to pick themselves up tbh.

I feel like Im waiting for my verdict in a murder trial- Im either getting a death sentence- or walking and celebrating, the jury are still out.

I feel like Im waiting for my verdict in a murder trial- Im either getting a death sentence- or walking and celebrating, the jury are still out.

:)  A lot been said in this thread but that just about sums it up for me too.

Look at Brummie's post a couple of pages back to confirm this. Really depressing to see such a long time supporter so depressed about his team tbh. I know a lot of NUFC-fans don't like them since our relegation, but after tonight I would really like them to pick themselves up tbh.

It's a symptom of the game today. Brummie has long bemoaned the current state of affairs, but it's possible to tolerate it as long as your team is half-decent, or has the potential to be. When that goes too, then it's rough. My first Spurs game was in the 70s, in the Second Division. I would be tempted to walk away from football now, if we hadn't got a terrific (for the most part) chairman ten years ago. If I was still in England I'd have probably started to watch Leyton Orient more often, then had to stand and watch as West Ham got gifted a stadium in their backyard. That would probably have been enough for me to walk away.

I never thought I'd prefer the American way of approaching sports, but despite several flaws, there's something really right about knowing that however shit your local team is this season, a couple of drafts might turn things your way. I still feel at heart that you should support your local club, but in many cases the club properly rooted in your community probably plays in the Northern League, or Conference South.

I'm just very, very lucky that my team is Spurs, just as you are very lucky that yours is Newcastle (and specifically, that you stopped being ropey at exactly the right time - the beginning of the Premier League). If your team is neither of the above, and has one or two poor seasons, then it feels like that could be your lot.

It's a symptom of the game today. Brummie has long bemoaned the current state of affairs, but it's possible to tolerate it as long as your team is half-decent, or has the potential to be. When that goes too, then it's rough. My first Spurs game was in the 70s, in the Second Division. I would be tempted to walk away from football now, if we hadn't got a terrific (for the most part) chairman ten years ago. If I was still in England I'd have probably started to watch Leyton Orient more often, then had to stand and watch as West Ham got gifted a stadium in their backyard. That would probably have been enough for me to walk away.

I never thought I'd prefer the American way of approaching sports, but despite several flaws, there's something really right about knowing that however s*** your local team is this season, a couple of drafts might turn things your way. I still feel at heart that you should support your local club, but in many cases the club properly rooted in your community probably plays in the Northern League, or Conference South.

I'm just very, very lucky that my team is Spurs, just as you are very lucky that yours is Newcastle (and specifically, that you stopped being ropey at exactly the right time - the beginning of the Premier League). If your team is neither of the above, and has one or two poor seasons, then it feels like that could be your lot.

Where do you live now?

I never thought I'd prefer the American way of approaching sports, but despite several flaws, there's something really right about knowing that however s*** your local team is this season, a couple of drafts might turn things your way. I still feel at heart that you should support your local club, but in many cases the club properly rooted in your community probably plays in the Northern League, or Conference South.

Where do you live now?

Ohio. Near Akron - Cleveland sports basically (Browns, Indians, Cavaliers). I haven't actually lived in North London for years now. When I lived in Scotland/elsewhere in England I was identified with Spurs - it arguably became even more a part of me. Now I'm in the US barely anybody gives a fuck, so if things go wrong it's easier to keep your head down.

It definitely gives you a different perspective on the game, although most of my change in attitude has come with age. There just seems like so much more of a point to it when you're playing Sunday League in Edmonton with a team that's half Spurs/half Arsenal, or you're going to away games with a bunch of mates. Even simply when you're walking to a home match, and see how much it means to the whole community. I miss that, and not having that on a regular basis does rather put into focus the various ailments that football has acquired.

Where do you live now?

He's just mentioned the upside of American sports so I would guess the US.

Spot on :lol: I've had practical exams recently and I've got the same feeling going in this match ffs

Where do you live now?

He's just mentioned the upside of American sports so I would guess the US.

Yeah I figure that part out for myself thanks ;-) I used to live in the states, I was interested where.

Ohio. Near Akron - Cleveland sports basically (Browns, Indians, Cavaliers). I haven't actually lived in North London for years now. When I lived in Scotland/elsewhere in England I was identified with Spurs - it arguably became even more a part of me. Now I'm in the US barely anybody gives a fuck, so if things go wrong it's easier to keep your head down.

It definitely gives you a different perspective on the game, although most of my change in attitude has come with age. There just seems like so much more of a point to it when you're playing Sunday League in Edmonton with a team that's half Spurs/half Arsenal, or you're going to away games with a bunch of mates. Even simply when you're walking to a home match, and see how much it means to the whole community. I miss that, and not having that on a regular basis does rather put into focus the various ailments that football has acquired.

Something American sports have that is completely lacking in English football: parity. Thanks in large part to revenue-sharing and salary caps. We know teams like ManU, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc. are going to contend every single year simply because they spend the most money. A chimpanzee could manage these teams into the top 5. Meanwhile, Wigan will never, ever sniff the top 5, no matter how well they're managed. Unless of course they're bought by some oil sheikh.

Meanwhile, a team like the Oakland Athletics in MLB can spend 1/10 of the New York Yankees and still compete for the title. Money obviously plays a role (as the Yankees compete every year simply because they piss out money), but it's not nearly as important in American sports. The focus is on player development, drafting, free agent acquisitions, and coaching.

That's a fantastic post - sums up the current situation perfectly.  O0

About an hour until team news  :frantic: Don't think I've been this nervous to see a team sheet before. :lol:

You know Pardew is going to fuck up everyone's mood here don't you ? It's just so obviously going to happen.

About an hour until team news  :frantic: Don't think I've been this nervous to see a team sheet before. :lol:

You know Pardew is going to f*** up everyone's mood here don't you ? It's just so obviously going to happen.

My feeling is we will see

Ameobi and Williamson on the pitch today and I will fucking rage.

You know Pardew is going to f*** up everyone's mood here don't you ? It's just so obviously going to happen.

My feeling is we will see

Ameobi and Williamson on the pitch today and I will fucking rage.

:lol: I need to starting hunting for rage gifs for when Pards releases the team sheet and these jokers are on it