Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

Can't remember the details now, but didn't the Chronicle report that Ashley had sounded out a young Spanish manager a few years ago?

That was Marcelino wasn't it?

Yeah, just found it from 2008- it was him. What about Bilic? Is he employed these days?

Can't remember the details now, but didn't the Chronicle report that Ashley had sounded out a young Spanish manager a few years ago?

That was Marcelino wasn't it?

Yeah, just found it from 2008- it was him. What about Bilic? Is he employed these days?

Marcelino is at Vilarreal. Bilic is at Lokomotiv Moscow.

I don't really want Adkins, though he's probably the most realistic option as of right now. He does have some good things going for him though, as in always trying to play a positive attacking way, even against supposed better sides that you'd imagine most managers of a team like Southampton would just defend and hang on to hope they'd get something.

Rijkaard - seeing as he is now available

Oh! That would be brilliant :smitten:

Give him a good AssMan to manage the dressing room and he should be fine, imho. His problems at Barça began when he lost Ten Cate. He always came across as a bit of a football savant that was great at developing the tactics and football philosophy but lacked man management skills to keep the dressing room in line and motivated.

Probably would want big money/will try to get a CL club though.

Give him a good AssMan to manage the dressing room and he should be fine, imho. His problems at Barça began when he lost Ten Cate.

I didn't know you liked Rijkaard that much. The general perception seems to be he's not done particularly well at Barca, just taking over and not really building on Van Gaal's foundations. Anyway, I personally don't rate Rijkaard as a manager either. His track record is not particularly impressive and I really don't understand how he went from relegating Sparta Rotterdam to being the Holland manager and and not doing particularly well to then managing Barcelona. As you point out, he needs people with tactical knowledge around him as he's very limited himself. Wouldn't want to see him here, he'd be another Gullit.

Give him a good AssMan to manage the dressing room and he should be fine, imho. His problems at Barça began when he lost Ten Cate.

I didn't know you liked Rijkaard that much. The general perception seems to be he's not done particularly well at Barca, just taking over and not really building on Van Gaal's foundations. Anyway, I personally don't rate Rijkaard as a manager either. His track record is not particularly impressive and I really don't understand how he went from relegating Sparta Rotterdam to being the Holland manager and and not doing particularly well to then managing Barcelona. As you point out, he needs people with tactical knowledge around him as he's very limited himself. Wouldn't want to see him here, he'd be another Gullit.

Are you crazy? He saved Barça.

When he took over we'd just finished 6th, and had a 5 year barren spell with multiple managers and absolute lack of direction as team or club. It was the lowest point in our history since the 1940s. He took Van Gaal's tactics and updated them to the times. I talked about it on another thread; how he killed the "Guardiola role" and put a proper DM as #4, played Xavi further up the pitch, pushed up the defence line and started the pressing system we still use... without Rijkaard current Barça wouldn't simply exist.

Most people soured on him in the last two years, but I blame that on his lack of man management skills, and how the star players began running the show; not his tactical nous. Guardiola sat on the throne that Frank built.

When he took over we'd just finished 6th, and had 5 year barren spell. It was the lowest point in the history of the club.

:pokerface:

I know, I know... It was still the longest barren run in our history and our lowest league finish since the 1940s. Pampered children and all that...

When he took over we'd just finished 6th, and had 5 year barren spell. It was the lowest point in the history of the club.

know the feeling of a barren spell

I know, I know... It was still the longest barren run in our history and our lowest league finish since the 1940s. Pampered children and all that...

:lol: If that Man Utd fan had come out with something like that he would be about to be on the receiving end of a 10 page kicking!

When he took over we'd just finished 6th, and had 5 year barren spell. It was the lowest point in the history of the club. He took Van Gaal's tactics and updated them to the times. I talked about it on another thread; how he killed the "Guardiola role" and put a proper DM as #4, played Xavi further up the pitch, pushed up the defence line and started the pressing system we still use... without Rijkaard current Barça wouldn't simply exist.

Most people soured on him in the last two years, but I blame that on his lack of man management skills, and how the star players began running the show; not his tactical nous. Guardiola sat on the throne that Frank built.

Fair enough, I must have mixed up Van Gaal's first and second period.

Doesn't take away from the fact he's done nothing before and after Barcelona to suggest he's a great manager. It'd be a great risk to have him come in here whilst we're in the middle of a relegation fight.

Tie between Martinez and Adkins. Probably lean towards Adkins as there's no way Ashley could do business with Dave Whelan. He's a fantastic man manager and would do wonders for the teams confidence and belief in themselves that Pardew has been slowly killing and he favours attacking football.

A foreign manager when we are struggling against relegation could be a disaster unless he's had previous experience here I reckon. It might take half a season just to get used to the English game.

When he took over we'd just finished 6th, and had 5 year barren spell. It was the lowest point in the history of the club. He took Van Gaal's tactics and updated them to the times. I talked about it on another thread; how he killed the "Guardiola role" and put a proper DM as #4, played Xavi further up the pitch, pushed up the defence line and started the pressing system we still use... without Rijkaard current Barça wouldn't simply exist.

Fair enough, I must have mixed up Van Gaal's first and second period.

Doesn't take away from the fact he's done nothing before and after Barcelona to suggest he's a great manager. It'd be a great risk to have him come in here whilst we're in the middle of a relegation fight.

I will be honest with you; you don't really need Guardiola or Mourinho to get you out of your current predication. Just somebody who isn't an idiot and plays to your strengths while giving some belief back. You have way too much quality.

Might as well go for somebody that will get you play some enjoyable football. My fear is that if you sack Pardew you'll get one of those "relegation fight experts" type cloggers.

Why so many wanting Martinez? Sure his talk about 'philosophy' and his emphasis on passing is appealing, but he hasn't managed to establish wigan as a safe premier league team. His relegation exploits might be useful short term I suppose, but he wouldn't be my choice on a permanent basis. Regardless of Wigan'a considerable limitations, he hasn't done anything there to suggest he could get us challenging regularly for Europe in a few years time.

Agreed.

My fear is that if you sack Pardew you'll get one of those "relegation fight experts" type cloggers.

I wouldn't be against that until the end of the season, just someone to get us out of this mess.

What who would bench Ben Arfa and Marveaux in favour of Perch and Jonas whilst having Ameobi starting up front? I'd say we already have one of those.

My fear is that if you sack Pardew you'll get one of those "relegation fight experts" type cloggers.

I wouldn't be against that until the end of the season, just someone to get us out of this mess.

What who would bench Ben Arfa and Marveaux in favour of Perch and Jonas whilst having Ameobi starting up front? I'd say we already have one of those.

Pardew certainly isn't a relegation fight expert mate, he is a relegation expert.