Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

My personal choice would be Martin Jol. He knows the Premier League, understands tactics, has his teams generally set up right to play in the right way and is used to working as a trainer/coach type manager. That and he's a good bloke, someone likeable. I think he would also be able to help us massively in the Dutch market, which along with the French market, seems to be our object of interest when it comes to players.

Anyone but Pardew is silly mind, I'd do a better job than him but could you imagine our half-time team-talks? They would take forever. Millions of words. Adkins has done a wonderful job at Southampton and his sacking is extremely odd, but this job is a real tough one, I don't think he has the personality for it. Pardew, as awful as he is, has the personality because he's a good talker and has self-confidence. Adkins, I fear, would be overwhelmed by things.

Completely forgot about Jol. Good shout.

A few shouts for me in here:

I'm flattered that you'd trust me to manage our club but I think someone with more experience is needed. Having said that, I'd do better than Pardew so it might be worth chucking an application in.

Guest firetotheworks

Jol is a good shout, but he'd never come here after the way Hughton was treated. Otherwise I'd have said Jol too tbh.

A few shouts for me in here:

I'm flattered that you'd trust me to manage our club but I think someone with more experience is needed. Having said that, I'd do better than Pardew so it might be worth chucking an application in.

A Ketsbaia comedy application would go viral.

"Further to N-O's invitation for my application for the better-be-vacant-soon position of Manager of..."

Why so many wanting Martinez? Sure his talk about 'philosophy' and his emphasis on passing is appealing, but he hasn't managed to establish wigan as a safe premier league team. His relegation exploits might be useful short term I suppose, but he wouldn't be my choice on a permanent basis. Regardless of Wigan'a considerable limitations, he hasn't done anything there to suggest he could get us challenging regularly for Europe in a few years time.

My personal choice would be Martin Jol. He knows the Premier League, understands tactics, has his teams generally set up right to play in the right way and is used to working as a trainer/coach type manager. That and he's a good bloke, someone likeable. I think he would also be able to help us massively in the Dutch market, which along with the French market, seems to be our object of interest when it comes to players.

Anyone but Pardew is silly mind, I'd do a better job than him but could you imagine our half-time team-talks? They would take forever. Millions of words. Adkins has done a wonderful job at Southampton and his sacking is extremely odd, but this job is a real tough one, I don't think he has the personality for it. Pardew, as awful as he is, has the personality because he's a good talker and has self-confidence. Adkins, I fear, would be overwhelmed by things.

Jol is ahead of Pardew in the sack race.

Got to be a manager out there who is happy for the current setup of recruitment to continue with minimal say, while encouraging player development and a attacking passing game. Surely they aren't just myths?

Can't believe how many want Di Matteo like. He's another charlatan.

Similar to people saying Laudrup.

Sure I'd have him here, but like f*** would we get him.  He'd be a total heedthabaal to leave Swansea for us.

How is Laudrup a charlatan?

No, was more in reference to "Can't believe how many want" with Laudrup.  Silly to suggest when it's totally unrealistic.

I think we can easily rule out any good managers and the managers of the same calibre as Pardew will always be up against it working with a core of 13/14 players of premier league quality.

It was only a couple of months back some were believing that Ashley had got his strategy right. Reality is back.

Honestly don't know. Part of me wants us to go for a creative appointment that can take us places in the long term, but realistically we need to go for the first available unemployed Englishman to come in and bring some stability fast.

Coyle, Hughes, Adkins.... Really, what difference does it make. They're probably all average but I'll take whoever we can get.

Adkins, Martinez or Laudrup.

If I owned the club I'd be on the blower for Martinez or Laudrup tonight with £5m ready to pay off their respective clubs. Failing that I'd go for Ridjkaard who is available free. Adkins would be the last option but still better than what we have.

I don't think there's much chance of Martinez or Laudrup coming. Don't particularly rate Martinez either - don't where it comes from, he just looks good cos he does well at the end of the season after being appalling for most of it.

Probably Adkins. Di Mateo maybe, don't know whether to rate him yet.

Why so many wanting Martinez? Sure his talk about 'philosophy' and his emphasis on passing is appealing, but he hasn't managed to establish wigan as a safe premier league team. His relegation exploits might be useful short term I suppose, but he wouldn't be my choice on a permanent basis. Regardless of Wigan'a considerable limitations, he hasn't done anything there to suggest he could get us challenging regularly for Europe in a few years time.

I agree. I picked Matt LeBlanc. He might not get us playing great football but we will have cheeky fun along the way.

Don't really understand the apathy towards Adkins. Could he reasonably have been expected to do better than he has with the squad at his disposal this season? They're above us ffs.

He's done a staggering job at Saints tbh, and plays very good confident football. Much better option than Martinez certainly IMO.

Guest Howaythetoon

Jol is a good shout, but he'd never come here after the way Hughton was treated. Otherwise I'd have said Jol too tbh.

I think he would. He would be confident in his own ability to get results to stave off the threat of any kind of axe. Managers like players are often deluded to some extent and ultra confident in their abilities. With jol though he does have the required skill-set and CV if you like. He is a really good coach. Your line of thinking is similar to 'why would he come to England after the way Spurs treated him', btw and far too simplistic. The thing with Jol is that he is well schooled in working as the trainer or coach only, with player recruitment and sales nowt to do with him. Even at Fulham, I think that's how things work to a degree. He would come here if the offer was right and for me he would be ideal.

People mentioning Martinez... I like him but again, I don't think he has the ballsy mentality or super confident type personality for the job. Even KK said at NUFC you have to bluff it now and again, meaning you have to have a fuck it type attitude.

Sadly, we sacked the kind of manager we could have grown together with in Hughton. He was ideal for us but the powers that be didn't like how close or cosey he was with the players. Err... working with them 24/7 kind of does that. But how would they know, they have no idea or clue about football whatsoever.