Florian Thauvin

Yaron
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It really just hammers home the point that the manager, scouting system and the entire football department has to be on the same page. Something we haven't had a long while and has resulted in us continually signing players who aren't suited to the way the manager wants plays football. So amateurish and bloody annoying.

Thauvin is only 22, Cabella had only just established himself as a first choice player for Montpellier at that age (and very quickly became one of its better players). We aren't sure what Thauvin is capable of, but I fear a pretty mediocre spell at Marseille is a far better indicator of his quality than the scraps of playing time he has had to feed on here.

Just think unless it's an obvious case (Gouff over HBA) you've got to give the manager the benefit of the doubt sometimes with player selection.

I don't think McClaren has done anything to deserve the benefit of the doubt in this area, quite the opposite actually.

I think he could come good but he needs time and a run of games.  We could line up like this and have some actual natural width which I think would help his game tremendously.

Elliott

Janmaat    Mbemba    Colo    Mbabu

Saivet

Shelvey

Sissoko          Wijnaldum        Thauvin

Mitrovic

Shelvey going box to box.  Mbabu and Janmaat overlapping on the attack to give us options both outside and inside the full backs and supplying the crosses for Mitrovic.  Similar to Mitrovic I think we could see a player in Thauvin if we set the team up correctly to play somewhat to his strengths and afford him some space and passing options.

Couldn't really give a shit if he leaves. Like De Jong and Cabella, he's not had much chance to properly develop but I haven't seen much worth persevering with anyway.

We should have just kept Ben Arfa. Fucking tossers.

Agree. Although we've got to remember the players do train every day. Fans might scream give him a chance, but if he's absolute shite in training he's never going to get in. Manager's credibility with the players would go down the pan if the lad that tarts around all week gets a game regardless

I bet Shola was amazing in training..  Ben Arfa was probably shite though.

Couldn't really give a s*** if he leaves. Like De Jong and Cabella, he's not had much chance to properly develop but I haven't seen much worth persevering with anyway.

We should have just kept Ben Arfa. f***ing tossers.

Agree. Although we've got to remember the players do train every day. Fans might scream give him a chance, but if he's absolute s**** in training he's never going to get in. Manager's credibility with the players would go down the pan if the lad that tarts around all week gets a game regardless

I bet Shola was amazing in training.. Ben Arfa was probably s**** though.

Yeah but it's one thing being crap in training if you can point to all the goals and assists you've provided, it's another if you're new and struggling for game time.

Anyway again we've no earthly idea how he is in training, good or bad, would never happen obviously but I wish they televised training matches so we could actually see for ourselves what the manager sees.

I think he could come good but he needs time and a run of games.  We could line up like this and have some actual natural width which I think would help his game tremendously.

Elliott

Saivet

Shelvey

Mitrovic

Shelvey going box to box.  Mbabu and Janmaat overlapping on the attack to give us options both outside and inside the full backs and supplying the crosses for Mitrovic.  Similar to Mitrovic I think we could see a player in Thauvin if we set the team up correctly to play somewhat to his strengths and afford him some space and passing options.

However relieving it is not to see Colback and Anita together in the middle, I couldn't pick Thauvin over Perez, despite Perez's recent drop off in form. Apart from vs a League One team he's shown nothing since he's joined us, whereas Perez has won games on his own on occasion in the PL.

If we are not prepared to give a young talented player time to adapt and games to used to the league we should stay out of that market. Why spunk £30m on Cabella and Thauvin when that could have bought someone who already had the relevant experience and proven talent. Even better, don't kick talent like Ben Arfa out the door to start with.

I really hope Carr's stock has fallen with this mess of a transfer system we have.

Elliott

Saivet

Shelvey

Mitrovic

However relieving it is not to see Colback and Anita together in the middle, I couldn't pick Thauvin over Perez, despite Perez's recent drop off in form. Apart from vs a League One team he's shown nothing since he's joined us, whereas Perez has won games on his own on occasion in the PL.

Well he needs games and he'll give us some width.  Perez isn't a winger and with him on one side and Sissoko on the other we'll naturally play narrower which won't help Mitrovics game.  Plus the fact that if we don't give Thauvin games and time then he'll never show anything for us, at least give the guya chance and a decent run in the side.

Couldn't really give a s*** if he leaves. Like De Jong and Cabella, he's not had much chance to properly develop but I haven't seen much worth persevering with anyway.

We should have just kept Ben Arfa. f***ing tossers.

Agree. Although we've got to remember the players do train every day. Fans might scream give him a chance, but if he's absolute s**** in training he's never going to get in. Manager's credibility with the players would go down the pan if the lad that tarts around all week gets a game regardless

I bet Shola was amazing in training.. Ben Arfa was probably s**** though.

Yeah but it's one thing being crap in training if you can point to all the goals and assists you've provided, it's another if you're new and struggling for game time.

Anyway again we've no earthly idea how he is in training, good or bad, would never happen obviously but I wish they televised training matches so we could actually see for ourselves what the manager sees.

I've heard Sergio Aguero is the most inspiring in training. Must be able to tell he has superb touch, technique when striking, finishing etc. but keeps a lot in the tank. Would imagine Hatem's the same. 20 minutes off the bench with those 2 lads a few times you would see top quality.

On the other end - Shola seems a nice bloke and a top pro that fooled a number of managers down the years. Likewise for someone that rarely plays Obertan looks to be in fantastic shape 365, actually has a lot of skill and technical ability so could look amazing in training.

Thauvin isn't in that HBA bracket of talent not to apply himself in training.

He has probably deserved more Premiership game time just off hope and transfer fee. But his performance at West Ham & Watford was among the worst i've seen. Only plus point was his willingness to get on the ball and try. Physical or technical attributes? Absolutely none.

It would be interesting to know (never happen) how NUFC go about integrating foreign imports into their squad. How has Thauvin been managed insofar as getting used to the culture, climate, city, etc. Has he been buddied up with some of his French team-mates? Does Gouffran give him life coaching? I know clubs generally hire handlers / interpreters / nannies, etc to sort out new players from abroad but I somehow imagine our particular version of this process is utter shite. If my suspicions were correct, it would mean people who require support and aren't as adaptable when moving to a new country might be further ostracised (especially when abused by fans for tenuous reasons in comparison to other players).

Or he could just be bad at football. Which begs the questions why did we sign him?

Questionable buy to begin with. Not in form and made Ligue 1 worst 11 team last season. Once bought, not given proper go in poorly set up team with rookie striker and on the same side as a poor full back. A fine recipe for money down the drain.

That said, he's not really applied himself enough to have much sympathy for him. If some money back means we can keep Sissoko and Perez, he's got to go.

It's not quite Ben Arfa levels of frustrating but it's the Hugo

Viana mark for players that really deserve a chance in their correct position.

Maybe I'm placing too much emphasis on this after being at his home debut against Northampton and the performance he put in that day but I'll be hugely disappointed if this actually happens.

Really bizarre. He's looked pretty good in the games i saw him play? Delivered some cracking crosses and just generally got about. Mcclaren didnt want to put Aarons in either when fit though. Whole thing is odd for a side that could do with a left winger.

Really bizarre. He's looked pretty good in the games i saw him play? Delivered some cracking crosses and just generally got about. Mcclaren didnt want to put Aarons in either when fit though. Whole thing is odd for a side that could do with a left winger.

Did you see West Ham or Watford? Did you see Northampton and perhaps Villa only?