Newcastle 1 - 0 Anzhi - 14/03/13 (1 - 0 on agg) post-match reaction from page 36

Dave

Think if you up your game you'll go through here. Anzhi were the better side in their half and just looked more composed and more experienced really. But in the same breath they were hardly amazing. I think you've got a lot of gears to find and if you can get some momentum going, i.e. get Marveaux and Sissoko on the ball more, I can absolutely see you nicking it. Tiote needs to step up and show his supposed quality in the 2nd half.

We improved as half went on, still a pile of manure.

Cabaye injured is a huge blow, he's orchestrated our run of form of late as much as anyone.

Don't want to be a debbie downer but when was the last time we won a game without Cabaye in the team ?

Would like us to swap Marveaux and Jonás round. Marveaux looks to be the only attacking player playing well(ish) tonight, so get him involved more in the places where he can be dangerous.

Anita being invisible sadly, when he played well really like him as a player, but he needs to be keeping possession and we're just, not.

Total passenger. Him and Tiote have been infuriating. One has been invisible, and the other I wish had been invisible.

Guest Phil K

Half time. Awful.

Yep.

I blame Simpson and Williamson.

They're not even playing man you noob.

Thats what he means, man

Too much emphasis on keeping players behind the ball to negate the counter.

We're shit scared of conceding tbf. They have no fear what so ever.

I think that's because a) they have experienced players but perhaps more importantly b) a 0-0 home result is not at all that bad a result. You're going away for the 2nd leg, not only do you go through if you win, but any score draw and you're through and 0-0 you've at least got extra time. Anzhi seemed to be taking advantage of the situation whereas you didn't really know what to do - whether to attack knowing you need a goal to go through or just hope they don't score so you don't have to go chasing 2.

Think if you up your game you'll go through here. Anzhi were the better side in their half and just looked more composed and more experienced really. But in the same breath they were hardly amazing. I think you've got a lot of gears to find and if you can get some momentum going, i.e. get Marveaux and Sissoko on the ball more, I can absolutely see you nicking it. Tiote needs to step up and show his supposed quality in the 2nd half.

Totally agree with this.