Alan Pardew

Mike

He seems to be getting it right lately. Still has a few brain farts but fair play, we look a goal threat at least. 6 games in a row where we've scored 2 goals. Wonder when the last time we did that was?

Just looked on Soccerbase and as a Premier League club, we went 8 games under Robson, Carver & Souness from the Villa 2-4. (included two games against Bnei Sakhnin)

Deserves a lot of credit today, before the sending off we played some of our best stuff in ages. After that we dug in really well and never gave up on trying to win the match even down to ten men against one of the teams he's normally terrified of. Tiote as captain was fantastic IMO (aside from his part in the red/pen of course) and I can't think of a single player that didn't play well. Only slight complaint I'd have is why we switched Ben Arfa and Gouffran for about two minutes which they promptly profited from. Bit baffling that.

Well done, more of this please. :thup:

Guest Haris Vuckic

I don't think his record against Liverpool is THAT bad aside from the obvious. :thup:

but aye. Looking a bit better - the shapes developing and the short passing and ball retention is getting a tad more sophisticated - the defence still needs work overall but apart from Mapou's error we did well and we fought tooth and nail today.

It's palpable that we could maintain this level of performance and still get f*** all from some of our upcoming fixtures so today was a big point. Encouraging how when possible - we still went for the win when down to ten men.

The tactic of twatting long balls to Sammy made me laugh mind :lol:

I don't think his record against Liverpool is THAT bad aside from the obvious. :thup:

but aye. Looking a bit better - the shapes developing and the short passing and ball retention is getting a tad more sophisticated - the defence still needs work overall but apart from Mapou's error we did well and we fought tooth and nail today.

It's palpable that we could maintain this level of performance and still get f*** all from some of our upcoming fixtures so today was a big point. Encouraging how when possible - we still went for the win when down to ten men.

The tactic of twatting long balls to Sammy made me laugh mind :lol:

the defense this season has been strange, less badly set up etc more absolute brain dead individual mistakes costing us badly.

Deserves a lot of credit today, before the sending off we played some of our best stuff in ages. After that we dug in really well and never gave up on trying to win the match even down to ten men against one of the teams he's normally terrified of. Tiote as captain was fantastic IMO (aside from his part in the red/pen of course) and I can't think of a single player that didn't play well. Only slight complaint I'd have is why we switched Ben Arfa and Gouffran for about two minutes which they promptly profited from. Bit baffling that.

The most pleasing thing for me was that the 'right let's settle for a point' moment was about the 88th minute or something. Was expecting us to sit back from half time but we plugged away and defended well without lining up too deep and retained a threat on the break. Promising stuff. :thup:

This is horrific namedropping so I apologise, but AP was at Wentworth last Friday to play golf and he said that the most important thing they were trying to do differently this season was to play "expansively" (his word). I think that today proved that is actually the case. Almost every time today and particularly before the sending off, with the exception of Williamson, every time there was a choice between a short ball and a long ball, the short ball was chosen

He's been saying it for ages, just nobody believes him because he hasn't been able to implement it. Understandable I suppose.

its actually been happening this season tbf the problem has more been defending that any of our ability to go forward.

Agree with most of this. One word of caution though, most of our joy came from lofted diagonal balls over the top, which seems to be our default attacking tactic, so I'm not entirely convinced we had an attacking plan to suit this game in particular, it was more the pressure we put them under that told imo.

Much better though, I genuinely enjoyed the first half, and I haven't said that about any 45 mins for what feels like a year.

We looked well set up from the off today and it made such a difference. I hope after this performance, people will stop saying our players aren't good enough, while we had 11 men we bossed one of the title contenders in most areas of the pitch. We have some very good players, and if we can get them motivated and set up right, we are European contenders.

We looked well set up from the off today and it made such a difference. I hope after this performance, people will stop saying our players aren't good enough, while we had 11 men we bossed one of the title contenders in most areas of the pitch. We have some very good players, and if we can get them motivated and set up right, we are European contenders.

:thup:. If we had a manager like Martinez or Pochettino I'd believe we could be European contenders.

Guest icemanblue

His players gave him a proper performance today. Doesn't often get the organisational side right either, but he definitely did today. Impressed with our spirit and effort. Hope we see more of the same boer the next few games.

Couldn't believe my eyes when I checked the score to see we'd scored again, having gone a man down. As soon as I saw Yanga had been dismissed, I was fully expecting a defeat - or barely a 1-1 draw. Extremely refreshing to see we continued to take the game to the opposition, even with ten men. Especially at home.