Still Not Worthy Of A Thread

joeyt

Discounting the odd fleeting academy lad, Smith was arguably the worst player I've ever seen for us, certainly in the Premier League. Butt was probably just worse by the end.

At least Butt tried and took responsibility on the pitch. For all the talk of Smith being some warrior he was an utter coward who hid from the ball.

Butt was worse. At least twice every game we'd have a corner cleared to the edge of the box and that hopeless cunt would have a dig from 30 yards. And he never once came within 30 feet of the goal.

Butt's presence on the pitch harmed us more than any other player I can recall.

Hard to pick between him and Smith, but Butt was awful. Dem chipped through-balls.

Smith by a country mile.

Smith was worse purely for the reason that Tooj outlined a few posts back. They were both garbage but Butt never hid or shirked, Smith often did and created that ludicrous 'warrior' persona that had him diving into tackles like a loon, normally as a result of a poor pass or tackle from him.

Plus, Butt had a pretty good 12-month spell for us during 2006/07. He was probably the highlight of the Roeder era, along with Martins.

Smith was worse purely for the reason that Tooj outlined a few posts back. They were both garbage but Butt never hid or shirked, Smith often did and created that ludicrous 'warrior' persona that had him diving into tackles like a loon, normally as a result of a poor pass or tackle from him.

Plus, Butt had a pretty good 12-month spell for us during 2006/07. He was probably the highlight of the Roeder era, along with Martins.

This. Butt was generally awful but had a good season for us. Smith's probably the worst footballer I've ever seen who's spent years at NUFC.

I wouldn't argue with anyone who would say one was worse than the other, but what exactly are we comparing here? :lol: Two utterly God-awful footballers who aptly represented the worst spell in my time supporting the club. I don't think I've ever been more relieved to see two players removed from the first-team. An absolute burden every single time they were on the pitch (bar Butt's decentish spell in 06/07). The squads post-Bobby, up to relegation, were just a total car-crash year-in, year-out. Ironically enough, on paper, the team that went down was probably the best of the bunch.

This. Butt was generally awful but had a good season for us. Smith's probably the worst footballer I've ever seen who's spent years at NUFC.

And, if you want to extend Butty's lead a bit, he scored a few canny goals. A pearler against Everton at home (3-2) and a couple of decent strikes at White Hart Lane anarl.

Butt even wins in the non-competitive stakes; Smiffy's header against Sampdoria (from a Geremi corner :lol:) is overwritten by Nicky's pair of headers against Villareal when he was getting booed with most of his touches.

Here's one:

Most NUFC appearances without a competitive goal, outfield players only?

I dunno who it is btw.

Frank Clark has to be pretty high up there.

Whey, higher than Smith and Williamson at least. :joey:

Bobby Cowell 327 I reckon. Frank got one in the League Cup.

I'll get me anorak. :coat:

Here's one:

Most NUFC appearances without a competitive goal, outfield players only?

I dunno who it is btw.

Frank Clark has to be pretty high up there.

Whey, higher than Smith and Williamson at least. :joey:

Bobby Cowell 327 I reckon. Frank got one in the League Cup.

I'll get me anorak. :coat:

Ah, bugger, so he did (19 League Cup appearances, 1 goal). Fair play. :thup:

Still take out the fecking League Cup, and no goals in 437 League, FA Cup, and Euro games is still pretty impressive. :lol:

I could be remembering this wrong but shortly after we announced the Wonga deal didn't the The Chronicle report that there was big news coming from the club in the summer re: a major commercial deal? Anybody have any idea weather this happened or not?