Still Not Worthy Of A Thread

joeyt

Guest Howaythetoon

I'm not so sure everyone who goes and watches their local non Premier League club or even Premier League club will suddenly all stop going so they can watch Stoke vs Newcastle at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon at home or in the pub, or some other fixture.

As for non league supporters, they are the loyalist of loyal and from past experience of watching Gateshead games home and away, a good number go because they are disenfranchised supporters in general or because their respective clubs are like one big family.

Look at Gateshead, most of their crowd are former Newcastle season ticket holders or bairns/students. They still go even when NUFC are on TV.

It will impact some clubs and attendances, but not in a major way.

There is already a massive culture of TV footy fans in England, young lads or older blokes whose whole weekends revolves around not going to the actual match, but watching it on the box either at home or in the pub.

I'm actually all for every Toon game being televised because I feel the likes of AO would have more chance or championing a huge boycott of matches. Spurs at home was televised. If that wasn't a televised game, I don't think it would have been half as successful as it was.

Guest Howaythetoon

Like Wullie says - give it 20 years and the change will be massive.

If you live in the area you could watch Gateshead and still watch the live football on the same day.

SMH @ Arsenal.

I don't think it would change massively. People who can afford to will always want to go and watch their team live in person. For every fan that says fuck it I'll just watch my team on telly I'm sure there would be another fan willing to take his or her seat at the stadium.

Its how its all managed to be honest. To encourage attendances remain high at lower league clubs I'd like to see more of the TV revenue shared out evenly on the provision that lower league clubs slash their ticket prices. £40 odd quid to watch Leeds in the Championship?

I'm pretty sure a lot of people who are going to lower league games could quite easily watch a 3PM Premier League match at a pub if they were so inclined. I think the lower league damage train left the station about 20 years ago.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people who are going to lower league games could quite easily watch a 3PM Premier League match at a pub if they were so inclined. I think the lower league damage train left the station about 20 years ago.

How many pubs show 3PM PL games? How many clubs show 3PM football league games? None of which are the same as your living room.

How many pubs show 3PM PL games? How many clubs show 3PM football league games? None of which are the same as your living room.

They're not the same as your living room but they're a damn sight easier/more comfortable than a lower league football stadium.

Why should you protect the lower league attendances though?

Is this a serious question?

England has a football structure far deeper than any in world football and it should be kept that way as much as possible.

If "moving with the times" means getting more money into the hands of the Premier League clubs and less to the hundreds of others down the pyramid, then I'll stick to being a dinosaur.

Spot on. :thup:

Like Wullie says - give it 20 years and the change will be massive.

If you live in the area you could watch Gateshead and still watch the live football on the same day.

SMH @ Arsenal.

I don't think it would change massively. People who can afford to will always want to go and watch their team live in person. For every fan that says fuck it I'll just watch my team on telly I'm sure there would be another fan willing to take his or her seat at the stadium.

Its how its all managed to be honest. To encourage attendances remain high at lower league clubs I'd like to see more of the TV revenue shared out evenly on the provision that lower league clubs slash their ticket prices. £40 odd quid to watch Leeds in the Championship?

I obviously disagree but on the flipside, who would the benefit be to?

Premier League clubs? TV companies? People who aren't prepared to pay for football where it is intended to be paid for, i.e. in the ground?

Not sure I'm particularly interested in seeing any of those benefit at the expense of the football pyramid. One child opting to watch Man Utd on TV instead of Gateshead is one too many.

Aye, exactly. It's not a valid argument any more, and it will become even less and less valid as more other options becomes available to more people.

People who want to watch football?

They know where the/a ground is. If you want to see a concert, buy a ticket. If you want to see a film, buy a ticket. Why should football be any different? Not everything needs beaming into living rooms for the benefit of the lazy and the spoilt.

They know where the/a ground is. If you want to see a concert, buy a ticket. If you want to see a film, buy a ticket. Why should football be any different? Not everything needs beaming into living rooms for the benefit of the lazy and the spoilt.

You should be able to follow your team however you want it. Loads of people can't make it to the game be it for financial or other reasons, give them the option of watching it at home, surely? Any fan knows that it's better to watch the game live than on TV, but it's simply not an option for everyone, especially for away games. I wouldn't go and watch another football game that I have no interest in just because my team isn't televised.

Using your concert example, if I couldn't make it to a concert, say it was sold out, I wouldn't go and buy a ticket for some other band that I don't like just because I wanted to go to a concert.

:lol: your comparison is really really terrible given the way in which the vast majority of music is enjoyed.

Nowt to do with lazy or spoilt anyway, it's about enjoying a sport and/or a team, and wanting to be able to watch it, without the massive restrictions involved in actually attending a game.

reckon every game will be available on some sort of pay per game basis before long any way. regardless of kick off time.

edit- I mean i know it is now- when you can be bothered to fuck on most of the game keeping it on :lol:  but some legit sky type set up.

Why should you protect the lower league attendances though?

Is this a serious question?

England has a football structure far deeper than any in world football and it should be kept that way as much as possible.

If "moving with the times" means getting more money into the hands of the Premier League clubs and less to the hundreds of others down the pyramid, then I'll stick to being a dinosaur.

Spot on. :thup:

:thup: Further moves to have the populace masturbating over the country's top 6 clubs is the exact opposite of what is needed. We can't whinge about a lack of parity and support shite like this.

You should be able to follow your team however you want it. Loads of people can't make it to the game be it for financial or other reasons, give them the option of watching it at home, surely? Any fan knows that it's better to watch the game live than on TV, but it's simply not an option for everyone, especially for away games. I wouldn't go and watch another football game that I have no interest in just because my team isn't televised.

Using your concert example, if I couldn't make it to a concert, say it was sold out, I wouldn't go and buy a ticket for some other band that I don't like just because I wanted to go to a concert.

This would only allow you to follow your team as you wish if they happen to be a 'top' team. You'll find when Newcastle are away/not on the box many, myself included, will go watch Heed, Blyth, Shields whoever. This would have a massively negative affect on such clubs, purely to increase the legions of EPL armchair fans.

This would only allow you to follow your team as you wish if they happen to be a 'top' team. You'll find when Newcastle are away/not on the box many, myself included, will go watch Heed, Blyth, Shields whoever. This would have a massively negative affect on such clubs, purely to increase the legions of EPL armchair fans.

what about kicking off non league games at 1pm, so people can do both- probs would increase the crowds .

There's far more at stake than an individual not being able to watch next week's match. Big deal. It's difficult enough for lower league clubs to tempt kids away from just getting a Man City shirt without making it vastly moreso for them. TV greed has done enough damage to the structure of football right across Europe, I'm shocked that so many people want to see the Premier League get richer at the expense of the English pyramid. The depth of it is by far and away the best thing about football in this country.

Personally I'm of the opinion that it won't really harm the pyramid, rather than "wanting to see the Premier League get richer at the expense of the English pyramid" :lol:

Same here, don't see why you'd automatically go to the worst possible conclusion. "Football on TV means non league clubs go bust! :frantic:", don't see it happening. More football on TV = equals more people that watches football and might get interested in lower leagues.

Still praying for a European Super League where most of the usual suspects fuck off and leave us to it tbh. Sort of the opposite position to being a Celtic fan, I want to be in a weaker league and not have to put up with the absolute bullshit the Premier League has become.

Still praying for a European Super League where most of the usual suspects fuck off and leave us to it tbh. Sort of the opposite position to being a Celtic fan, I want to be in a weaker league and not have to put up with the absolute bullshit the Premier League has become.

:thup: Would be owa the moon if the English game regressed 20 odd years. As disgusting a product as possible please.