RIP Joe Kinnear (1946-2024)

Anderson

Mick Harford today revealed that turning down Newcastle United was one of the hardest decisions of his life.

But the fact he is a lifelong Sunderland fan was not the reason for knocking back the chance to be Director of Football Joe Kinnear’s assistant at St James’ Park.

Harford, 54, will remain at Millwall where he is a coach, despite being offered the chance of a return to the Premier League.

He said: “I spoke to Mike Ashley and Joe and they had some fascinating things to say to me about the job. I was really impressed.

“But right now, it’s not for me. It was a fantastic offer and I was honoured to be asked, but it’s not the right time. It was very tempting and not an easy thing to turn down.

“I have tremendous respect for Newcastle United football club. They are the one club I follow, along with Sunderland because I have always been a fan of them.

“The whole Sunderland thing isn’t important. It has nothing to do with it. I am a professional and would have been 100 per cent committed to Newcastle.

“I played for the club so know what it’s all about. They have probably the most loyal fans in Britain. I understand the North East and what football means to the people.

“So it wasn’t easy for me to say no.”

Mick Harford today revealed that turning down Newcastle United was one of the hardest decisions of his life.

But the fact he is a lifelong Sunderland fan was not the reason for knocking back the chance to be Director of Football Joe Kinnear’s assistant at St James’ Park.

Harford, 54, will remain at Millwall where he is a coach, despite being offered the chance of a return to the Premier League.

He said: “I spoke to Mike Ashley and Joe and they had some fascinating things to say to me about the job. I was really impressed.

“But right now, it’s not for me. It was a fantastic offer and I was honoured to be asked, but it’s not the right time. It was very tempting and not an easy thing to turn down.

“I have tremendous respect for Newcastle United football club. They are the one club I follow, along with Sunderland because I have always been a fan of them.

“The whole Sunderland thing isn’t important. It has nothing to do with it. I am a professional and would have been 100 per cent committed to Newcastle.

“I played for the club so know what it’s all about. They have probably the most loyal fans in Britain. I understand the North East and what football means to the people.

“So it wasn’t easy for me to say no.”

Fair play.

from the BBC comments;

If this is the most we've got to look forward to season - the non appointment of a man we don't need / want to support the man we've already got that we don't need / want then God help us.

I wish I didn't care anymore but it's not that easy.

Ashley please go away and leave us alone..........

"They are the one club I follow, along with Sunderland"

f*** off.

Never knew he was a yank.

Aye, watch it Caj. You know I'm not like that. :lol:  I'm being wrongly grouped in that yank shit regarding Sunderland.

f*** off.

Aye, watch it Caj. You know I'm not like that. :lol:  I'm being wrongly grouped in that yank shit regarding Sunderland.

Hand on heart as soon as someone bit I was going to put an *Except Kanji disclaimer in there :lol:

f*** off.

Aye, watch it Caj. You know I'm not like that. :lol:  I'm being wrongly grouped in that yank s*** regarding Sunderland.

Hand on heart as soon as someone bit I was going to put an *Except Kanji disclaimer in there :lol:

Hah! That's awesome - :thup: You're the man.