Stewart Downing

NUFC_Sam

When Joe get the scouse chairman on the blower and asks about Steve Downer they'll probably say yeah no problem, straight swap for Ben Arfa? I'm not confident of Joe handling that situation well at all.

Interesting factoid, Downey notched all 8 league goals/assists in games in which Liverpool outscored their opponents by a combined score of 30-2 (7-0 record, the only goals against coming in the 3-2 home win against Spurs). So he did pick-up his stats in blow out games.

This is *so* American. :D

I expect a full sabermetrics report by the morning. :snod:

Well, it needs to be taken into consideration. Numbers don't lie, the games in which he scored/assisted were games in which Liverpool were able to run up the score and he didn't produce against anyone of note (save Spurs).

Thought he looked very decent at Boro but just hasn't kicked on since then. Depending on the fee and wages, he'd be a decent addition surely? Upgrade on Jonas I'd have thought?

Guest dazzanufc1892

or he was on fire that much that he tore teams to pieces....... this meaning on form, hes unplayable and inspires a team.

Twist the stats any way to fit arguments, the problem is, his overall form over the last few years has been very very poor, and even at his peak, his form was still that of a mid table / 6th position at best. he wont progress us to the next level, but he will offer a reasonable level of ability that we do not currently have on that side, unless people want to risk losing marveaux out there. He would also offer the work rate of Jonas with a better end product.

For 5mil, ok he wont set the world alight, but what he will do is offer some form of consistency after a run of games. Hopefully he maintains a reasonably good injury record too and we have bodies to use, not rely on the unproven.

Will be gutted if Stewie was sold for that amount.

An absolute shithouse of a player, but still worth more than 5M in today's market.

Must be his 75K/week wages.

What? :lol:

Nah you'll take 5m and be happy.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/newcastle-united-distance-themselves-stewart-5668714

Newcastle United are understood to have distanced themselves from talk linking them with out of favour Liverpool winger Stewart Downing.

Reports from out sister paper the Liverpool Echo correctly reported that the former Middlesbrough man has been offered to United and other Premier League clubs for a cut price £5million.

However, the Chronicle understands that United have played down the approach as they concentrate bringing in another striker.

United were continuing discussions to bring in Bafetimbi Gomis from Lyon while talks are also still in progress the bring in Darren Bent.

Gomis is thought to be the preferred choice but Bent could well be an option and is a player that Alan Pardew would love to bring to Newcastle after working with the England international at Charlton Athletic.

With Newcastle already having Sylvain Marveaux, Jonas, Hatem Ben Arfa, Yoan Gouffran and Hatem Ben Arfa able to operate on the left hand side, the offer of Downing is not thought to be something that is seriously being considered at this moment at St James' Park.

Downing's wages of £80,000 per week would also prove to be a major stumbling block with his salary way above the average at United.

Guest reefatoon

An absolute shithouse of a player, but still worth more than 5M in today's market.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvjRlg1JbrIFpNVuRfeDkqwtdHbBKRx2czMNUXvpjmYhahVZoO

If we sold Jonas for £4m and he came in on Jonas' wages then maybe I'd not cry every time I saw him in a newcastle strip, but, na sorry, jut no way I can get round this being a good move.

:lol: Living in an absolute dream world.

The Liverpool way :lol: