Stewart Downing

NUFC_Sam

I know Downing is a figure of fun and jokes (and well, he deserves it for that "unbelievable season" a couple of years ago), but last season, from christmas up-wards he started nearly everygame and was an integral part to the team that lost 3 times in the whole of 2013.

He ain't a world beater, he always bottles it in massive games, but he's a decent functional player when everything is going well. In today's inflated market, I don't think it's unrealistic to say a former England-international with many years of PL experience at a decently average level (if you look at his career at a whole) is worth around 7-8M (that's his true worth imo).

But then, I guess his high wages work against us in our negotiation leverages. Just because a player is utter s*** for one team, it doesn't mean he'll be s*** everywhere. He'd be an instant upgrade on Jonas/Obertan/ and your other orthodox 4-4-2 wingers.

It's fashionable to say "OMG, DELUSIONAL LIVERPOOL FAN" , "OMG HISTORY" , "KKK" etc...but I don't think it's true in case of valuation of Downing. Shame O'Neil got sacked, or else the deal will be done.

In case he leaves, his biggest legacy will be that performance at Old Trafford in February 2012. By far the most gutless, and disgusting performance I've seen from a LFC player in a big game. Bottling shithouse.

And yet you'd like 8million for him and he's 29. Liverpool paid far to much for him originally. I'd say he was worth 15million tops when you bought him and since then his value has plummeted. Same goes for Darren Bent at Villa, the ridiculous fee's just mess with people's heads.

5mil would be a good price imo.

Exactly. Even his former Boro boss Mclaren dropped him as England boss because he lacked the appetite for the big games. Yes he'd be a good fit for us, but why would we want to pay that sort of premium for a 29 yr old who doesn't turn up when it matters? If Liverpool get £5m they'll have done well if you ask me. 

I know Downing is a figure of fun and jokes (and well, he deserves it for that "unbelievable season" a couple of years ago), but last season, from christmas up-wards he started nearly everygame and was an integral part to the team that lost 3 times in the whole of 2013.

He ain't a world beater, he always bottles it in massive games, but he's a decent functional player when everything is going well. In today's inflated market, I don't think it's unrealistic to say a former England-international with many years of PL experience at a decently average level (if you look at his career at a whole) is worth around 7-8M (that's his true worth imo).

But then, I guess his high wages work against us in our negotiation leverages. Just because a player is utter shit for one team, it doesn't mean he'll be shit everywhere. He'd be an instant upgrade on Jonas/Obertan/ and your other orthodox 4-4-2 wingers.

It's fashionable to say "OMG, DELUSIONAL LIVERPOOL FAN" , "OMG HISTORY" , "KKK" etc...but I don't think it's true in case of valuation of Downing. Shame O'Neil got sacked, or else the deal will be done.

In case he leaves, his biggest legacy will be that performance at Old Trafford in February 2012. By far the most gutless, and disgusting performance I've seen from a LFC player in a big game. Bottling shithouse.

You may be a very decent chap but I don't like you as a poster at all. Not one bit.

:lol: :thup:

Sorry for proposing a different opinion boys. Though, I know I am over-dramatic with exaggerations at times.

Everything in that post is okay except for the valuation. Why would a "he's a decent functional player when everything is going well" player cost 7-8M?

Sorry for proposing a different opinion boys. Though, I know I am over-dramatic with exaggerations at times.

Everything in that post is okay except for the valuation. Why would a "he's a decent functional player when everything is going well" player cost 7-8M?

Comparing it with current prices being paid for some players as average as Downing.

Though, I suppose it doesn't apply to Newcastle judging by your post-Carroll transfers, which is fair enough.

But then, I guess his high wages work against us in our negotiation leverages. Just because a player is utter shit for one team, it doesn't mean he'll be shit everywhere. He'd be an instant upgrade on Jonas/Obertan/ and your other orthodox 4-4-2 wingers.

Luckily we have a brilliant track record of signing players who are struggling at one club then doing really well for us.

Maybe I am being biased but I think players like Babayaro, Carr, Duff, Smith and Geremi really made their names here.

But then, I guess his high wages work against us in our negotiation leverages. Just because a player is utter s*** for one team, it doesn't mean he'll be s*** everywhere. He'd be an instant upgrade on Jonas/Obertan/ and your other orthodox 4-4-2 wingers.

You may be a very decent chap but I don't like you as a poster at all. Not one bit.

:lol:

It would be stupid to value Downing based on the crazy price Dalglish paid to sign him. £5m is right for me. One good half a season in his time there. I would actually be really tempted to give a take or leave it offer of £3.5m but there will be a few clubs in for him who'd pay more.