Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I think stealing a living is a bit harsh. I don’t think there’s a single fan that will argue he’s a quality footballer. He’s genuinely awful on the ball but positionally in defence he’s generally always been good, it feels like it’s dropped off a bit this season. His hoofing of the ball is appalling but he’s been symptomatic of who we’ve been as a club for 14 years, looking to achieve the bare minimum. However, he always gives everything, loves the club and has almost never put in a really poor defensive performance. Yes, he needs to go but I don’t think he’s stolen a living as a footballer even though he can’t kick a football 

He has these last few years where he’s been unfit more often than not and I love the club too, but fucking hell… bye Dummett!

1 hour ago, Dokko said:

If he could be fit for 75% of the season then aye. But it's more like 25% and it's a waste of a squad place especially in the summer when we can go and get players who are not always broken. 

Exactly this. I don't have that much of a problem with his abilities, he's no world beater but can do a job as a stand in. But why would you want to hand out another contract to an ageing, injury prone player?

40 minutes ago, gbandit said:

has almost never put in a really poor defensive performance. 

I'm not going to fact check that, but my gut feeling is that this is re-writing history. I'm sure he's had a lot of woeful performances, even defensively. Had a good little spell under Rafa, and a few games under Bruce but other than that his defensive qualities has mostly been judged on the odd admittedly impressive recovery run and subsequent sliding tackle, literally the only redeeming quality he has, and now he's not even doing that.

I trust Howe's judgement, but right now I'd need to see an improvement to justify it. He may just be rusty after such a long time out, but even then, he was very much a defensive fullback with minimal attacking output. That's fine when playing with ASM, but right now I'm hoping Targett plays the rest of the season.

We're probably going to struggle to shift some of our deadwood this summer who are still contracted - the likes of Dummett who are actually out of contract (while also not good enough and always injured) should surely be first out the door.

20 hours ago, HUGZ said:

might sound harsh, but I fucking hate him (as a footballer, not as a person) and can't wait until he gets peddled :lol: him being our benchmark is a big reason Matt Targett looked like prime Cafu on his debut.

He's never, ever been good enough. people argue he's a good defender, and does the fundamentals well, but he's shit scared of the ball, has zero technique and offers no attacking threat whatsoever. because he's so limited he gets held to the lowest possible standard, the opposite of someone like ASM, basically. not to mention he's a perma crock.

thanks for everything Paul, but down to the Champo you go son. Bruce will probably sign him. which says everything you need to know.

100% this :clap: 

I would never have thought about extending his contract without a takeover. The thought of spending decent money to upgrade on him is automatic. It's little shit like this that just starts to gently stir a few doubts about Howe's judgement if he's even thinking about doing this.  

All 3 of those tipped to get new contracts won't he playing a huge amount of league football next season I don't think.

Next season they will add depth and experience into a squad that will be made up of alot of players from abroad who have never played in the Premier League. They'll get alot of minutes in Cup competitions and if we are in dire need Die to injuries.