Paul Dummett

Guest palnese

If that forces us into getting a competent left-back, hallelujah

It won't. Rafa has been playing CBs in that position, some would argue that Dummett himself is a CB, so don't expect our football in possession to improve any.

Probably ironic that our CBs have looked better than Dummett at left-back.

It won't. Rafa has been playing CBs in that position, some would argue that Dummett himself is a CB, so don't expect our football in possession to improve any.

Can't expect Roberto Carlos etc etc

For all the 'trust in Rafa' philosophy which I readily agree with, I can't get past the feeling that our football is poor partly because we have defenders who aren't comfortable on the ball.

Our first choice defence is very comfortable on the ball apart from Dummett.

Aye.  I don't think he's much good but sadly he's probably the best option we have at LB at the moment, losing him for three months is a blow.  He's crap at anything other than defending but he's solid enough that Atsu or Aarons ahead of him will have the freedom to get forward at will.

Aye.  I don't think he's much good but sadly he's probably the best option we have at LB at the moment, losing him for three months is a blow.  He's crap at anything other than defending but he's solid enough that Atsu or Aarons ahead of him will have the freedom to get forward at will.

I think for a club in our position, Dummett gets unfairly railed for his on-the-ball (lack of) ability. There's a lot to be said for a solid defensive full back when you're just trying to stay alive in a division. Might be a stretch, but Danny Simpson seemed clueless both going forward and defending.

Personally I'm quite worried about our defence without Dummett at left back.

I think for a club in our position, Dummett gets unfairly railed for his on-the-ball (lack of) ability. There's a lot to be said for a solid defensive full back when you're just trying to stay alive in a division. Might be a stretch, but Danny Simpson seemed clueless both going forward and defending.

Personally I'm quite worried about our defence without Dummett at left back.

Chancel looked fairly ok vs Huddersfield. Most of our shit play came from loss of possession in the middle.

• 2 months later...

The criticism of him is very fair. His defensive ability is mostly overrated. He's good at 1 on 1 but awful with the ball aimed over his head. Watching him try to turn is dreadful.

If he was defensively so bad Rafa wouldn’t play him.  He’s had a fair bit of competition and Rafa has had him as #1

Who from? Haidara's been injured 2/3s of the time and is average, Lazaar was never a left-back and Manquillo's average. The fact he spent £4m while in the Championship on a first-choice Serie A player with the intention of playing him there is telling though.

Guest firetotheworks

You could say that Rafa wouldn't play Joselu if he didn't think he was a good goalscorer. It doesn't really work like that at the moment.

The criticism of him is very fair. His defensive ability is mostly overrated. He's good at 1 on 1 but awful with the ball aimed over his head. Watching him try to turn is dreadful.

If he was defensively so bad Rafa wouldn’t play him.  He’s had a fair bit of competition and Rafa has had him as #1

Fair bit of competition  :lol:

Rafa’s bought in Gamez, Manquillo and Lazaar.  Dummett is better than them fwiw

Aye he seems to prefer Joselu over Mitro which is baffling. 

Likewise Elliot’s seen off a couple competitors which says more about them than it does Rob. 

It doesn't really mean anything though. If you are buying players for under £5m you are going to end up with lots of pretty poor players.

Rafa’s bought in Gamez, Manquillo and Lazaar.  Dummett is better than them fwiw

Aye he seems to prefer Joselu over Mitro which is baffling. 

Likewise Elliot’s seen off a couple competitors which says more about them than it does Rob.

Great post.

• 1 month later...