Thoughts on this summer's transfer window

Jack Flash
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Honestly not having a go at anyone here. But remember we "hung on" to all our players last summer as well and look at where we were come January.

Hopefully the January signings plus Remy will be enough for us to be stronger than we were last year but we're going to need to have incredible luck with injuries.

Guest neesy111

Honestly not having a go at anyone here. But remember we "hung on" to all our players last summer as well and look at where we were come January.

Hopefully the January signings plus Remy will be enough for us to be stronger than we were last year but we're going to need to have incredible luck with injuries.

Standing Still in Football usually means going backwards in real terms.

:thup:

Think that's all fair enough, it's another summer gamble on their part.

I understand what people are saying about the squad, but surely we also have to expect a pick-up in performances, less injuries etc from last season? I don't think it's fair to just take last season as the absolute benchmark of where we are as a club... far too simplistic IMO.

Doesn't change the fact that the window was shite, obviously.

Yeah can see where you’re coming, from but so far on the injury front we've been lucky it's hits the right players this time. We've got off to season to very a solid start with 4 points in first 3 games, in the next round of the cup and on the back of 3 clean sheets in a row. Villa will be a bigger test to see where we are really at as they have looked decent themselves.

I haven't seen anyone doing this. We've had a s*** window, please complain about it. It's just the pre-complaining about things that haven't happened, and the martyrs reveling in assuming the worst of everything, that's annoying.

The thing is it's so blatantly obvious what was happening as we've seen it before, so it's not a far stretch for people to assume it's happening again. 

Like in January when people were complaining a week in to the transfer window and the likes of Inochi and Ian W (I'm assuming, I can't bloody remember) told people to be patient and were right that time?

It's a complete and utter shambles that we haven't made any signings, but I really don't see the point in jumping on those that were hoping and not prepared to complain about things prematurely.

Disappointed, as opposed to raging, as I didn't expect much anyway.

This + desperately hoping we're not hit with injuries as although we have several players I rate, there's just not enough depth.

I know everyone's different but sometimes wonder what it would take for some folk to reach "raging" stage.

Get the feeling "Ashley supports Sunderland" would not even generate a response with some!

No the usual appeasers would still be coming out with the same tepid statements of support for him and still be in denial over what is happening. All wrapped up in the flag of " I support NUFC whatever happens" of course.

Nothing is going to change anyone's minds it would seem.

The camp of those who can't separate supporting NUFC with seeing themselves as actively underpinning this rotten regime, don't appear to have any tipping points at all.

Likewise, In fairness, those of us in opposite camp: IE those who have had enough and wont be back or financially add anything to the club we love until they are gone, probably are well past the point of no return for the regime. There is probably nowt they could do to convince me they had the best intentions at heart for the club.

Seems we will have to agree to disagree. Loyalty I guess means different things to different people.

I cannot personally get my head around the position of the collaborators, or the appeasers at all mind. Battered wives syndrome springs to mind.

This rotten, vile owner and regime know a % will just keep coming back for more slaps and black eyes, whilst they piss themselves laughing at the victims.

As for the window activity "not arsed ether way". Nothing matters until things change at the top.

We have an owner who doesn't want to be one, an ineffective, inept and corrupt manager who is a puppet, and a DOF who is simply a two fingered gesture to us.

Signings or selling players is largely irrelevant, we are going nowhere until this is changed....Treading water. Standing still, which is actually taking the club in a backwards momentum in the real term.

I know everyone's different but sometimes wonder what it would take for some folk to reach "raging" stage.

In this case, something fairly specific for me. It was not inconceivable we'd sell our best players and bring in some cheap crap. It has been often said this would fit the Ashley model.

We haven't done that.

We have Krul, Debuchy, Yanga Mbiwa, Santon and Collocinni. A very pleasing back 5.

We have Haten Ben Arfa, Sissoko, Cabaye and Anita. A perfectly palatable central 5.

We have Gouffran, Cisse and Remy. A not unexciting front 3.

We have a good bench, but beyond that, not a lot of quality.

We clearly lack an effective senior attacking left winger and a striker. Pardew indicated he wanted at least one or both and he got neither. That is deeply disappointing, deeply frustrating, and we're all pretty angry about it. Not least because all it would have taken to elevate our optimism for this season considerably would have been that one extra attacker.

Raging, no (that would have come if we'd sold anyone of note). But as it is, it's an opportunity well and truly missed.

In this case, something fairly specific for me. It was not inconceivable we'd sell our best players and bring in some cheap crap. It has been often said this would fit the Ashley model.

We haven't done that.

We have Krul, Debuchy, Yanga Mbiwa, Santon and Collocinni. A very pleasing back 5.

We have Haten Ben Arfa, Sissoko, Cabaye and Anita. A perfectly palatable central 5.

We clearly lack an effective senior attacking left winger and a striker. Pardew indicated he wanted at least one or both and he got neither. That is deeply disappointing, deeply frustrating, and we're all pretty angry about it. Not least because all it would have taken to elevate our optimism for this season considerably would have been that one extra attacker.

Raging, no (that would have come if we'd sold anyone of note). But as it is, it's an opportunity well and truly missed.

Basically my feelings too. I am very disappointed with the window, but I'm not 'raging' because our group of players is actually pretty good. And for me that's the most important thing.

We haven't done that.

Basically my feelings too. I am very disappointed with the window, but I'm not 'raging' because our group of players is actually pretty good. And for me that's the most important thing.

But Ian, thats essentially  Ashleys view too and its wrong. This is Newcastle United ffs. The squad is strong enough to stay up aye, maybe push the top 10 depending on injuries but is that all we are good for? We know the club is capable of so much more.

People arent angry about the squad we have, people are angry about the squad that we should have and havent.

Get the feeling "Ashley supports Sunderland" would not even generate a response with some!

No the usual appeasers would still be coming out with the same tepid statements of support for him and still be in denial over what is happening. All wrapped up in the flag of " I support NUFC whatever happens" of course.

Nothing is going to change anyone's minds it would seem.

The camp of those who can't separate supporting NUFC with seeing themselves as actively underpinning this rotten regime, don't appear to have any tipping points at all.

Likewise, In fairness, those of us in opposite camp: IE those who have had enough and wont be back or financially add anything to the club we love until they are gone, probably are well past the point of no return for the regime. There is probably nowt they could do to convince me they had the best intentions at heart for the club.

Seems we will have to agree to disagree. Loyalty I guess means different things to different people.

I cannot personally get my head around the position of the collaborators, or the appeasers at all mind. Battered wives syndrome springs to mind.

This rotten, vile owner and regime know a % will just keep coming back for more slaps and black eyes, whilst they p*ss themselves laughing at the victims.

As for the window activity "not arsed ether way". Nothing matters until things change at the top.

We have an owner who doesn't want to be one, an ineffective, inept and corrupt manager who is a puppet, and a DOF who is simply a two fingered gesture to us.

Signings or selling players is largely irrelevant, we are going nowhere until this is changed....Treading water. Standing still, which is actually taking the club in a backwards momentum in the real term.

top post :thup:

the bit in bold is a great description

We haven't done that.

But Ian, thats esecially Ashleys view too and its wrong. This is Newcastle United ffs. The squad is strong enough to stay up aye, maybe push the top 10 depending on injuries but is that all we are good for? We know the club is capable of so much more.

People arent angry about the squad we have, people are angry about the squad that we should have and havent.

Sure, fair point. We aren't achieving our potential, no argument from me on that. But to really dissect that point we have to get into all sorts of things like what really is our potential, how expensive is it to get there, what about the established top teams, how much risk should we take, should Ashley spend his personal money etc etc. I don't think anyone can be bothered to reopen that debate now.

But at SJP, we have a group of players that are likeable and have ability. They can produce memorable moments and enjoyable matches if they can recover some form. Yes, as I've been told by Wullie many times, accepting this is possibly defeatist etc, but my instinct is to support them.

We haven't done that.

But Ian, thats esecially Ashleys view too and its wrong. This is Newcastle United ffs. The squad is strong enough to stay up aye, maybe push the top 10 depending on injuries but is that all we are good for? We know the club is capable of so much more.

Sure, fair point. We aren't achieving our potential, no argument from me on that. But to really dissect that point we have to get into all sorts of things like what really is our potential, how expensive is it to get there, what about the established top teams, how much risk should we take, should Ashley spend his personal money etc etc. I don't think anyone can be bothered to reopen that debate now.

But at SJP, we have a group of players that are likeable and have ability. They can produce memorable moments and enjoyable matches if they can recover some form. Yes, as I've been told by Wullie many times, accepting this is possibly defeatist etc, but my instinct is to support them.

I agree with you on that, its the only thing thats stopped me from calling SJP so far today and cancelling my season ticket.

I'd be careful what you say when Neesy is lurking around today....

It was a f**king embarrassment of a window. What a total lack of any sporting ambition whatsoever. A complete a total lack of ANY desire to improve things on the pitch. It is literally the LAST priority to the owner and the dozy prick he's put in charge.

So, the first thing we as fans look for, THE FOOTBALL, is the very last thing that matters to the owner. What a sorry state of affairs for NUFC.