NUFC transfer rumours in the press

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A loan or two would have done me but it's feck all again. Happy with the four main signings but we are still light in several areas. Have to hope we avoid the usual injury and suspension plague which hits us every season.

Transfer window feels at best 70% of what it should have been. We have signed some cracking players, but we still have dross on our books. It's harsh, but we needed to do more and we had plenty of time to do it. What's the point in saying we want top 8 and we want to play attacking football if we do not strengthen the side enough to do that.

Fact is players like Obertan, Williamson and Gouffran will find game time this year - they shouldn't find any as there should be better players here fighting for their places. Credit for the type of signings we have made, just not enough in and not enough dross out.

Is it too harsh to think this and perhaps view the window as a failure?

Think they've bought themselves a bit of time without achieving much yet.  It really needs to be followed up and maintained in the coming transfer windows for the squad to improve as much as it needs to. 

All we've done so far is go through the pile of cash that was sat there for absolutely no reason but I do like the look of the new lads and am pleased we haven't wasted the summer squabbling over fees and settling for 2nd best again.

All we've done so far is go through the pile of cash that was sat there for absolutely no reason but I do like the look of the new lads and am pleased we haven't wasted the summer squabbling over fees and settling for 2nd best again.

:thup: agree with this. I think we may have moved again if we had managed to peddle some of the dross; next summer the likes of Gouffran, Williamson, Elliot, Marveaux etc will be off the books and shite as they are, they'll need replacing.

It's been a great window for us, can't go signing 10 players at once it would just make things worse. We got high quality in, nice work.

Agree, but we still need more quality so january and next summer will be another big test for the club.

I'm pretty happy with it TBH, I would've wanted more but I expected a lot less. The signings we have brought in look very promising.

Possibly because of reduced expectations TBF, can't deny that.

O0

Certainly the signings so far look of a good quality (harder to tell with Mitrovic, but  he has had some nice touches and when he settles in I think he can be a hit).

Disappointing things for me is some of the s**** that still stinks the place out, Elliot, Williamson, Obertan et al. Moving this s*** out and replacing with better in the next 2 windows is the next phase, if they do that I will say well done (will be better late than never mind).

Plus we seem to do some very odd things with our young players... Don't get the Abeid or Kemen things at all.

It's been a great window for us, can't go signing 10 players at once it would just make things worse. We got high quality in, nice work.

Agree, but we still need more quality so january and next summer will be another big test for the club.

Next two windows to carry on the good work, rather do that than something silly like spending 36m on a 19 year old with only 52 career games

In May I didn't think the summer would go this well. It's obviously not perfect but we've spent £50m on 4 good players, no-one has left and we now have a proper manager with real coaches.

Would a left back and Janmaat back-up be great? Of course. But this window has generally been a success - hopefully it's the first positive move of many, not that I'd put money on it.

Wijnaldum and Mbemba have been genuinely quality additions who have improved us considerably. Thauvin also impressing.

As far as top 8 is concerned, we are still nowhere near imo. I just don't see us scoring enough goals compared to the likes of Everton, Swansea and West Ham.

We've gone beyond the bare minimum number of signings required, imo, and the quality we have added to the squad looks pretty good. Pretty happy overall but I won't be slapping their backs, because this was all about playing catch-up really. We should've appointed a new manager and made this sort of investment two years ago. Fair play though, they've behaved with something other than ambition-less contempt this summer and it's sparked my interest again.

The best transfer window we've had in a very long time - but that doesn't say much based on the others.

If we had one or two in January and continue to hold onto the core of our team (allow the likes of Gouf/Willo etc to leave) then I'll be very satisfied this season.

Although, this is Newcastle so we'll probably sell Perez, Krul, Mbemba and Sissoko for a combined £10 and a bag of wotsits and replace them with a 12-year old from France who "looks promising".