The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

Arsenal will go the same way as Man Utd.. ie struggling to find a new identity.

There is a huge hole in the Premier League after Man City and its there to be filled by a club with ambition and a decent manager.

Liverpool?

Liverpool youngest team in the Premier League, I think they will be a lot more solid next season.

There is also every chance that Salah will never repeat his miraculous season.

Difficult to know if that is his normal level or he’s just having one hell of a year.

Will find out at Real Madrid next season

Wenger has lit up the Premier League imo, I won't forget how dour and negative they were before him. He'll be missed but rightly regarded as one of the all time greats.

People forget just how good they were under Graham, similar to Chelsea under Mourinho. They were not a sexy football team, but they weren’t route one or dour.

As for Wenger, for all his success and what he has done for Arsenal, he has only himself to blame for the way it’s ending because he has constantly failed to address the glaring weaknesss in their squad and signed some absolute dross or flakey players, often of the same ilk and in the same style or positions.

He’s basically past his sell by date. To his credit he’s kept them competitive in terms of honours and CL football and I’m of the opinion that when Abramovic rolled up that changed the landscape for everyone other than Man Utd when it come to the transfer market. Prices shot up, wages shot up, the hoovering up of talent become an almost necessity and Wenger and Arsenal just couldn’t compete, hence moving to the Emirates.

Now they can compete in terms of transfer fees and wages, but he’s too stubborn and the kind of manager who probably doesn’t feel easy spending so much money, believing he can develop players and turn them into a finished article rather then blowing mega money on such a player. It’s never been his way.

He’s been a huge credit to the PL though and I adore the bloke because I love his style of football, his philosophies and he’s kind of a cool guy. He’s a sore loser and likes a moan, but he’s much mo likeable than most.

It’s a shame how fans have turned on him, even though I think they have a right to ask questions, be critical and yes demand a change. It’s the lack of respect towards him personally that’s troubling.

We would have renamed the City after him probably or the Tyne Bridge had he achieved half of what he has done at Arsenal with us. In many ways they are spoilt and it’s kind of cringe worthy and sad how they have went about voicing their diplseaure. That fan TV thing is a joke and pathetic for example.

For me Wenger has given our game the best team I’ve seen and brought some of the best players to our game and he will be missed. The FA should give him full control of our game from grassroots upwards IMO.

The best coach is the game itself. Don’t try and teach kids how to play, let them learn themselves, let them experiment and then when they are 16 or whatever, then start pointing things out and coach them. Wenger on kids’ football.

They were fucking dour under Graham later on in his reign and indeed Terry Neill  and Don Howe before him. Don't you remember the days of the high line offside thus the back four constantly playing with one arm in the air and the famous " one-nil to the Arsenal" chants.  They were fucking boring as sin , man . They weren't as bad when they had the likes of the late and great David Rocastle and Anders Limpar on the flanks, but that was pre Premier League anyhow.

It’s a testament to the Wenger revolution that he started with the all-England back five of Seaman-Dixon-Adams-Bould-Winterburn and then going on to field the first all-foreign XI. The side he inherited was entirely transformed, and it changed the league. The PL brand owes a lot to Wenger for what he did at Arsenal.

Doesn’t change the fact he’s been in sharp decline for many years now...

Guest Howaythetoon

Wenger has lit up the Premier League imo, I won't forget how dour and negative they were before him. He'll be missed but rightly regarded as one of the all time greats.

People forget just how good they were under Graham, similar to Chelsea under Mourinho. They were not a sexy football team, but they weren’t route one or dour.

As for Wenger, for all his success and what he has done for Arsenal, he has only himself to blame for the way it’s ending because he has constantly failed to address the glaring weaknesss in their squad and signed some absolute dross or flakey players, often of the same ilk and in the same style or positions.

He’s basically past his sell by date. To his credit he’s kept them competitive in terms of honours and CL football and I’m of the opinion that when Abramovic rolled up that changed the landscape for everyone other than Man Utd when it come to the transfer market. Prices shot up, wages shot up, the hoovering up of talent become an almost necessity and Wenger and Arsenal just couldn’t compete, hence moving to the Emirates.

Now they can compete in terms of transfer fees and wages, but he’s too stubborn and the kind of manager who probably doesn’t feel easy spending so much money, believing he can develop players and turn them into a finished article rather then blowing mega money on such a player. It’s never been his way.

He’s been a huge credit to the PL though and I adore the bloke because I love his style of football, his philosophies and he’s kind of a cool guy. He’s a sore loser and likes a moan, but he’s much mo likeable than most.

It’s a shame how fans have turned on him, even though I think they have a right to ask questions, be critical and yes demand a change. It’s the lack of respect towards him personally that’s troubling.

We would have renamed the City after him probably or the Tyne Bridge had he achieved half of what he has done at Arsenal with us. In many ways they are spoilt and it’s kind of cringe worthy and sad how they have went about voicing their diplseaure. That fan TV thing is a joke and pathetic for example.

For me Wenger has given our game the best team I’ve seen and brought some of the best players to our game and he will be missed. The FA should give him full control of our game from grassroots upwards IMO.

The best coach is the game itself. Don’t try and teach kids how to play, let them learn themselves, let them experiment and then when they are 16 or whatever, then start pointing things out and coach them. Wenger on kids’ football.

They were fucking dour under Graham later on in his reign and indeed Terry Neill  and Don Howe before him. Don't you remember the days of the high line offside thus the back four constantly playing with one arm in the air and the famous " one-nil to the Arsenal" chants.  They were fucking boring as sin , man . They weren't as bad when they had the likes of the late and great David Rocastle and Anders Limpar on the flanks, but that was pre Premier League anyhow.

They were not exciting to watch of course, but they were by no means rubbish either. They were a very good team at one point and very successful. Wenger came in and made them very exciting and even better of course, there is no denying that, but it’s not like he transformed them into Barca from Wimbledon.

Back to Arsenal fans. They have a right to demand more and to even expect more, they are a huge club who ought to be competing for the title and genuinely too and that hasn’t happened in a good few years. Coupled with failing to address key areas in the team and losing to leasser team and seeing every season almost start and finish the same, they have every right to protest their displeasure.

It’s the manner they have went about that, belittling Wenger, showing a lack of respect and embarrassing themselves that I find, well, pathetic and sad. But hey, how are they to best get themselves heard in this day and age?

It’s always been down to Wenger to put a stop to the rot and any fan malaise. He’s more than capable even today at his age and time at the club to compete for the title by buying the right players in the right areas and he’s failed to do that consistently now for several years.

Why and how is subjective, but if I’m an Arsenal fan I wouldn’t be happy either and would want him to leave. Cups are not the answer for a club like Arsenal. We have to remember they are not like us where a cup win would be celebrated for a century so starved are we of silverware.

Talk of them crashing and burning like under Rioch... it was more like a bump and a small flame. They had one season in mid-table and were soon back to winning ways when they a[pointed Wenger, all they now have to do is appoint the right man again. Easier said than done, but not an impossible job given the quality of managers out there or rather the kind of managers that would now suit them.

It’s going to take a huge squad overhaul and a few years to get back to the very top level regardless as this current Arsenal squad is for me the worst in the PL era. Choose wrong though and it will be a case of hiring and firing for a number of years.

Vieira would be an interesting choice, but a huge gamble. They should go Italian because I think a team that can keep clean sheets and who can beat or not lose to lower sides and top sides alike, stands a good chance even with City as rampant as they seem.

My dark horse would be Zidane...  maybe Wenger to Madrid?

Guest firetotheworks

Don’t get the critisismof Arsenalfans at all like. I love the bloke but he’s underachieved for years now.

We of all fans can't call other fans for their hatred of their current manager to the dismay of the rest of the fans and pundits.

:thup:

Guest firetotheworks

I'll really miss Wenger like. He's been my favourite non-Newcastle manager for the past 20 years and the idea of him not being in the Premier League, particularly with Ferguson not being around as well, is weird. Until they turned to crap recently, his Arsenal teams have been the ones that I've enjoyed watching more than any other, even when they had like 8 attacking midfielders and went 11 years without fixing the Vieira-shaped hole in their midfield. [emoji38]

Obviously they've been going backwards for years and if I was an Arsenal fan I'd be in dismay over Wenger's ridiculous stubbornness about how to play football and insistence on buying cheap, but as an outsider it's just always been endearing (particularly as I largely agree with him in terms of style of football) that he's had everyone whinging on about how they need to emulate the invincibles team and bring back some steel. Part of me thinks that with the right players he'd have created a less spineless, nearer to '08-'14 Barca team, but again part of the problem was the recruitment of players that with the best will in the world were never going to reach the level needed.

Above all though, I just like him. Him never seeing anything just ended up becoming funny and he always knew more than he let on about everything he was asked about. Add the whole Ouseburn thing, his massive coat, and of course - tenor.gif?itemid=6066666 [emoji38]

To me he's a sort of a Miyamoto  type character. Similar in that they're both purists who are far too stubborn for their own good, but when you just accept that, it just adds to their charm.

It was time for him to go a while ago and it's a shame that some of it's been tainted, but he'll be a huge miss to me, I really like him and his football.

Completely agree. And also agree that a lot of the character of the league has now gone with Ferguson (much as I hated him) and Wenger gone. All the short termism will leave clubs lacking identity and constantly fire fighting short term crises. If we got taken over or something maybe Rafa would stay with us for a while, maybe Pep will stay at Man city for a while but can't see clubs hiring anyone for a 20 year stretch ever again.

Germany boss Joachim Löw, Juventus coach Max Allegri, Monaco's Leonardo Jardim and Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers are likely to be on Arsenal's shortlist. (Source: Daily Mirror)

It's the Mirror so take it with a giant truck of salt but Rogers aside all of them would be good choices imo.

Guest firetotheworks

You don't need to miss his football with what City and Liverpool are doing at the minute.

At the minute is probably the point though. He's been doing it for the majority of 20 years. Obviously Man City and Liverpool won't get anywhere near that with their current managers.

They were not exciting to watch of course, but they were by no means rubbish either. They were a very good team at one point and very successful. Wenger came in and made them very exciting and even better of course, there is no denying that, but it’s not like he transformed them into Barca from Wimbledon.

Back to Arsenal fans. They have a right to demand more and to even expect more, they are a huge club who ought to be competing for the title and genuinely too and that hasn’t happened in a good few years. Coupled with failing to address key areas in the team and losing to leasser team and seeing every season almost start and finish the same, they have every right to protest their displeasure.

It’s the manner they have went about that, belittling Wenger, showing a lack of respect and embarrassing themselves that I find, well, pathetic and sad. But hey, how are they to best get themselves heard in this day and age?

It’s always been down to Wenger to put a stop to the rot and any fan malaise. He’s more than capable even today at his age and time at the club to compete for the title by buying the right players in the right areas and he’s failed to do that consistently now for several years.

Why and how is subjective, but if I’m an Arsenal fan I wouldn’t be happy either and would want him to leave. Cups are not the answer for a club like Arsenal. We have to remember they are not like us where a cup win would be celebrated for a century so starved are we of silverware.

Talk of them crashing and burning like under Rioch... it was more like a bump and a small flame. They had one season in mid-table and were soon back to winning ways when they a[pointed Wenger, all they now have to do is appoint the right man again. Easier said than done, but not an impossible job given the quality of managers out there or rather the kind of managers that would now suit them.

It’s going to take a huge squad overhaul and a few years to get back to the very top level regardless as this current Arsenal squad is for me the worst in the PL era. Choose wrong though and it will be a case of hiring and firing for a number of years.

Vieira would be an interesting choice, but a huge gamble. They should go Italian because I think a team that can keep clean sheets and who can beat or not lose to lower sides and top sides alike, stands a good chance even with City as rampant as they seem.

My dark horse would be Zidane...  maybe Wenger to Madrid?

They weren't rubbish but I never implied they were. They were negative and dour and boring, Rioch prolonged this and indeed made them worse in quality then Wenger came and virtually immediately made them an entertaining side that would win a Double within 18 months. That Cup Final against us, I actually felt we took more of a hiding here than the year after.

I love when he got sent to the stands at Old Trafford and couldn't get out of the dug out. So he just stood on the gantry above the tunnel, arms aloft :lol:

http://www.nairaland.com/attachments/177515_wengo5_516x350_55190a_jpgeec59c284da18065033cd7d54000396c

I'll really miss Wenger like. He's been my favourite non-Newcastle manager for the past 20 years and the idea of him not being in the Premier League, particularly with Ferguson not being around as well, is weird. Until they turned to crap recently, his Arsenal teams have been the ones that I've enjoyed watching more than any other, even when they had like 8 attacking midfielders and went 11 years without fixing the Vieira-shaped hole in their midfield. [emoji38]

Obviously they've been going backwards for years and if I was an Arsenal fan I'd be in dismay over Wenger's ridiculous stubbornness about how to play football and insistence on buying cheap, but as an outsider it's just always been endearing (particularly as I largely agree with him in terms of style of football) that he's had everyone whinging on about how they need to emulate the invincibles team and bring back some steel. Part of me thinks that with the right players he'd have created a less spineless, nearer to '08-'14 Barca team, but again part of the problem was the recruitment of players that with the best will in the world were never going to reach the level needed.

Above all though, I just like him. Him never seeing anything just ended up becoming funny and he always knew more than he let on about everything he was asked about. Add the whole Ouseburn thing, his massive coat, and of course - tenor.gif?itemid=6066666 [emoji38]

To me he's a sort of a Miyamoto  type character. Similar in that they're both purists who are far too stubborn for their own good, but when you just accept that, it just adds to their charm.

It was time for him to go a while ago and it's a shame that some of it's been tainted, but he'll be a huge miss to me, I really like him and his football.

Well said. There's other intelligent managers in the Premier, but not many have had his grace or manners, he was like the Cary Grant of football managers.

Incidentally, I'm glad they played us before he made this announcement, they'll probably go on a bit of a run now with the old manager bounce.

I picked a best Wenger XI on BBC and all the players are now retired.

It has been over 5 years since any of them even played for Arsenal.

For all the money they earned from the CL they repeatedly sold players on for a profit without properly replacing them. Each iteration slightly worse than the last.

Wenger wasn’t the problem. It is a board that have sucked up all the spare money. Don’t let a couple of record transfers paper over the cracks here.

Arsenal will drop down the league because of the board. Wenger is their latest casualty, him leaving was not the solution to their woes

I picked a best Wenger XI on BBC and all the players are now retired.

It has been over 5 years since any of them even played for Arsenal.

For all the money they earned from the CL they repeatedly sold players on for a profit without properly replacing them. Each iteration slightly worse than the last.

Wenger wasn’t the problem. It is a board that have sucked up all the spare money. Don’t let a couple of record transfers paper over the cracks here.

Arsenal will drop down the league because of the board. Wenger is their latest casualty, him leaving was not the solution to their woes

In hindsight moving to the Emirates stadium was possibly a huge mistake.