The Managerial Merry Go Round™ – Arne to Slot in at Liverpool

cp40

There's deffinitely evidence to suggest he isn't the manager he was, but I cannot see how anyone would be 'bewildered' by anyine thinking he could be solid like.

Bruce was supposedly going to be solid at Villa and I was laughed at for suggesting that he'd fail there, so I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

Hodgson is crap and has been for some time, it's not that difficult to come to the conclusion that a failing, ageing PFM might struggle to adapt after not managing a club side for 5 years.

Pretty sure you also said Brighton's squad was shit like half way through last season so I don't think your record is as golden as you're trying to claim.

'Might' being the key word their though, he might be shit, you're right. Let's not go overboard.

Did I? :lol: Not sure why that is relevant, even if I did and never said my record was perfect either but carry on.

:anguish: there, their and they're. <---

Only time will tell on this one, but sacking a manager 4 games into his reign and replacing him with Roy Hodgson is a terrible move.

I'll just hoy that full stop in for you then.

But aye anyway I agree, sacking any manager after 4 games is absolutely mental. I think the Roy rumours will be exaggerated to be honest.

Before Hodgson came to us I thought he was a decent manager and a decent bloke. When he was appointed after Rafa left, it was hugely disappointing - Rafa is a world class manager, with a rapport with the fans, who had given us some great times. Hodgson was a solid enough boss and a nice enough cove, or so it seemed, but it was a step backwards. He'd never really won anything or achieved anything other than respectability and a nice little UEFA cup run with Fulham. It also didn't help he'd been appointed by a world class fuckwit in Christian Purslow, but that wasn't his fault. Nor was it his fault that Rafa had run himself into the ground fighting the crooked owners, and the fans wanted them out, and Roy came in trying to give to Kofi Annan. You can hardly expect him to start a ruck when he'd just been appointed.

But little prepared me for the horror of the Dreaded Hodge, though. Fuck me, he was abysmal. First he bleated about the squad he inherited being too big. Then he bleated about it being too small. He fucked off Mascherano. While it was clear that Carra and Gerrard and the egg butty brigade were happy to have him, it was also clear some of the foreign players were not impressed. Two banks of four, two up top, set up not to concede. maybe nick one on the break. That works if you're Fulham, or Neuchatel Xamax, but not at Liverpool. The football was shocking. A step back in time. I half expected Don Howe to pop up on the bench. I;ve never seen a more timid, insipid and downright dull Liverpool team. Not a single player improved under his tutelage, which is the essence of coaching. A lot of them went backwards.

But the crud on the pitch wasn't half as bad as the self serving drivel that spewed from his mouth. My God, there's enough to fill a book but every time he opened his mouth it was a snide comment or something thaat Definitely Wasn't His Fault.  He would bleat and blame someone else, have a go at the players in the snidest terms, talk up terrible results as if they were greatest nights in the club's history, stick his tongue right up Ferguson's arse, have a dig at Rafa, make half racist digs at foreign journalists, or have a go at the fans at protesting at the owners - a protest that would soon bear fruit. Imagine that - the fans were trying to save their club from sliding into financial oblivion and into a vacuum of failure and mediocrity - and all Roy could do was moan and groan about it not being helpful. It was blessed relief when he went and I hate seeing manager's sacked. Even Sounness. Roy's suited to mid table sides, or lower, making them hard to beat and kissing everyone's arse. But if you have passionate fans and a club which dreams, he's a rancid splash of cold piss in the face. He's spineless and his teams often play in his image.

I wish him all the very best at Palace.

Guest firetotheworks

Before Hodgson came to us I thought he was a decent manager and a decent bloke. When he was appointed after Rafa left, it was hugely disappointing - Rafa is a world class manager, with a rapport with the fans, who had given us some great times. Hodgson was a solid enough boss and a nice enough cove, or so it seemed, but it was a step backwards. He'd never really won anything or achieved anything other than respectability and a nice little UEFA cup run with Fulham. It also didn't help he'd been appointed by a world class fuckwit in Christian Purslow, but that wasn't his fault. Nor was it his fault that Rafa had run himself into the ground fighting the crooked owners, and the fans wanted them out, and Roy came in trying to give to Kofi Annan. You can hardly expect him to start a ruck when he'd just been appointed.

But little prepared me for the horror of the Dreaded Hodge, though. Fuck me, he was abysmal. First he bleated about the squad he inherited being too big. Then he bleated about it being too small. He fucked off Mascherano. While it was clear that Carra and Gerrard and the egg butty brigade were happy to have him, it was also clear some of the foreign players were not impressed. Two banks of four, two up top, set up not to concede. maybe nick one on the break. That works if you're Fulham, or Neuchatel Xamax, but not at Liverpool. The football was shocking. A step back in time. I half expected Don Howe to pop up on the bench. I;ve never seen a more timid, insipid and downright dull Liverpool team. Not a single player improved under his tutelage, which is the essence of coaching. A lot of them went backwards.

But the crud on the pitch wasn't half as bad as the self serving drivel that spewed from his mouth. My God, there's enough to fill a book but every time he opened his mouth it was a snide comment or something thaat Definitely Wasn't His Fault.  He would bleat and blame someone else, have a go at the players in the snidest terms, talk up terrible results as if they were greatest nights in the club's history, stick his tongue right up Ferguson's arse, have a dig at Rafa, make half racist digs at foreign journalists, or have a go at the fans at protesting at the owners - a protest that would soon bear fruit. Imagine that - the fans were trying to save their club from sliding into financial oblivion and into a vacuum of failure and mediocrity - and all Roy could do was moan and groan about it not being helpful. It was blessed relief when he went and I hate seeing manager's sacked. Even Sounness. Roy's suited to mid table sides, or lower, making them hard to beat and kissing everyone's arse. But if you have passionate fans and a club which dreams, he's a rancid splash of cold piss in the face. He's spineless and his teams often play in his image.

[emoji38] I can't say I know enough about Hodgson to agree or disagree but that's a cracking post.

fans at protesting at the owners - a protest that would soon bear fruit. Imagine that - the fans were trying to save their club from sliding into financial oblivion and into a vacuum of failure and mediocrity - and all Roy could do was moan and groan about it not being helpful.

Please, tell us more.

Great post.  Got a few mates who go fairly regularly to Liverpool games, they're actually Scousers and all, which is rare.  I remember watching a game with them in the pub.  It was against Wolves over the Christmas holidays and you got beat, if memory serves.  I remember thinking Anfield looked half empty and the football was abhorrent. 

I've never seen a Liverpool side that tame and an Anfield crowd that flat and uninterested during my time following football.  It was similar to Man U after Ferguson left.

I have nothing against Palace fans, TBH.  But the way Parish has acted here, I really do hope Roy takes them down.

I can imagine De Boer and Parish having a conversation along the lines of Brick Top and Errol.

"What did you think of the performance today, Frank? Acceptable?"

"Well, I think that our approach play was very good and in the long-term, with good coaching..."

"What have I told you about thinking, Frank? It was a rhetorical question."

Rafa's press conference against Hodgson was brilliant

Benitez had earlier hit out at then-managing director of Liverpool Christian Purslow, and has now directed his venom towards Hodgson, who recently complained that the Spaniard had banned Kenny Dalglish from the club’s Melwood training ground during his tenure.

"I think that Mr. Hodgson, he doesn't understand," Benitez said to reporters. "Every single press conference is even worse than the last one. He's talking about things that he doesn't know. And some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar.  :D

"Maybe he hasn't been in Liverpool too long. We gave the fans their pride - again. We fought for the fans, we fought for the club and we fought for our players. So maybe he cannot understand this."

The former Valencia coach continued, "I brought back Kenny Dalglish to do a role in the club and Christian Purslow gave him another role.

"He (Hodgson) doesn't know but I will explain it to him. So, instead of talking about the flips or the flops, he has to concentrate on his players, try to do his best. He has a good job to do."

Benitez also defended his own record on the transfer market during his tenure at Anfield.

"They've signed nine players with £10million net spending, I left that squad with £300 million value, 13 internationals.”

Benitez concluded by giving Hodgson some managerial advice.

"Concentrate, try to do your best because it will be the best for the club and it will be the best for the fans."