The Managerial Merry Go Round™ – Arne to Slot in at Liverpool

cp40

4 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Now Bruce, Farke and Smith have been sacked, is there a worse PL manager than OGS?

Maybe, Dyche? 

I may absolute detest his style of play, but OGS can only dream of being the quality of Dyche. 

Guest neesy111
19 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Now Bruce, Farke and Smith have been sacked, is there a worse PL manager than OGS?

Maybe, Dyche? 

Nah, Dyche is brilliant for what Burnley need.

Just now, gbandit said:

Rodgers to Man U is getting a lot of media coverage, there’s supposedly a verbal agreement in place for him to take over, the question is when 

He will fail there IMO, said it here first for prosperity!

Is Rodgers even that good?

His teams seem to completely collapse at the end of the season. Liverpool failing to win the league and Leicester twice missing out on the top four.

FA Cup win was good and he did well with Celtic, but also seems to have a lot of limitations. They’ve been crap this season and could end up limping out of Europa League for the second season soon too. 

41 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Is Rodgers even that good?

His teams seem to completely collapse at the end of the season. Liverpool failing to win the league and Leicester twice missing out on the top four.

FA Cup win was good and he did well with Celtic, but also seems to have a lot of limitations. They’ve been crap this season and could end up limping out of Europa League for the second season soon too. 

Rodgers is a good manager, but i can't ever quite get over the fact that he got comprehensively bamboozled by 'Tactics' Tim Sherwood when we beat them in the FAC semi final.

Just now, Fantail Breeze said:

If you end up with Gerrard, I’d expect that to end up in a relegation battle.

Why did Terry leave, by the way? Didn’t even notice that happen.

Said he thought the time was right for him to move in a management role somewhere and that if he stayed on, he'd be misleading the club in terms of what he wanted to be doing.

I'll be totally honest, before Terry joined us as a player, I hated him, like all non Chelsea fans do. For obvious reasons.

But in the time he spent playing with us in the Championship, he was absolutely magnificent - yes, of course he was the best centre half in the league, but he was a leader, and his attitude was absolutely spot on, when a lot of players in his position would have just come for a final pay cheque. You saw from his attitude alone why he had had such an incredible career as a player.

He will always be about Chelsea, but he absolutely gave the club nothing but respect, and totally won over a cynical fan base. 

When he then went into a coaching role, he got the defence playing extremely well, and was clearly a belts-and-braces coach - ie, totally in. No half measures.

I am aware of all the arguments to the contrary in terms of his character and the shagging and racism stuff but he showed in a single year playing for us, the difference between the top clubs and the way their players are, and the rest of us.

1 minute ago, brummie said:

Said he thought the time was right for him to move in a management role somewhere and that if he stayed on, he'd be misleading the club in terms of what he wanted to be doing.

I'll be totally honest, before Terry joined us as a player, I hated him, like all non Chelsea fans do. For obvious reasons.

But in the time he spent playing with us in the Championship, he was absolutely magnificent - yes, of course he was the best centre half in the league, but he was a leader, and his attitude was absolutely spot on, when a lot of players in his position would have just come for a final pay cheque. You saw from his attitude alone why he had had such an incredible career as a player.

He will always be about Chelsea, but he absolutely gave the club nothing but respect, and totally won over a cynical fan base. 

When he then went into a coaching role, he got the defence playing extremely well, and was clearly a belts-and-braces coach - ie, totally in. No half measures.

I am aware of all the arguments to the contrary in terms of his character and the shagging and racism stuff but he showed in a single year playing for us, the difference between the top clubs and the way their players are, and the rest of us.

:thup: Sounds like he has great credentials for a management role then.

He also seems to have quite a bit of loyalty and standards in playing/coaching football, which is quite ironic when you consider his personal life.

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Do you expect Villa to have someone lined up already or will take the international break to get someone in ?

I'd bet everything I own they have someone ready. Craig Shakespeare, the assistant, has also gone today. If there was nobody lined up, he'd be into the caretaker role.

All this is very sad. At the end of the day, he joined us 18th or something in the Championship, won 10 in a row, got us promoted, got us to the LC final, kept us up, got us into a decent mid table slot, is a Villa fan through and through (lost his Dad this year, who was a steward at the club for years). I can't ever remember thinking that a sacking was the right thing to do, but also feeling so sick about it. Brian Little is the only possible comparison for me.

I do think, though, that with big money and investment as we have had, comes bigger expectations, and although he effectively played a bit part in saving the club (that's why Villa fans worshipped Graham Taylor. Not because he got us second in the first division, because he literally saved the club), it has been really clear that he is not capable of taking us further at the current time.

Compared to that shallow fuck Bruce, it was night and day.

Love Brummie like. Genuinely one of the best contributors on this forum.

Shame he's a fucking Villa fan mind but I suppose everyone has their wrinkles.

I wish he was a toon fan because I know a few I could send the other way. :lol:

1 hour ago, brummie said:

That's alright man, I hate my mother in law but I still love the Mrs.

3 minutes ago, STM said:

Love Brummie like. Genuinely one of the best contributors on this forum.

Shame he's a fucking Villa fan mind but I suppose everyone has their wrinkles.

I wish he was a toon fan because I know a few I could send the other way. :lol:

Absolutely. So refreshing to see someone with a fair, informed, opinion of their own team. He's a top poster.

BTW. If I were a betting man - which I am - I am hearing enough about Graham Potter to make me think it is worth a few quid. Which I have done. 

That’s a “think this may happen” not a “want this to happen” thing. Don’t bet your mortgage on it, but worth beer money. 

16 hours ago, 54 said:

I may absolute detest his style of play, but OGS can only dream of being the quality of Dyche. 

He's likely not the man to take Man United back to the top, but some of you are seriously (others not so seriously) trying to suggest someone who finished second last year is the worst manager in the league. :lol:  Grow up.

I'd hate Villa to get Potter, think he's very good. We really need some duffers appointed in these roles :lol: 

Think the day of the PFM may have gone, Bruce really the last remnant to be flushed in the PL. Can't see who'd be recycled next. Will be interesting to see who out the 00's players can really prove themselves or how many will fall into getting jobs of their name alone.

15 hours ago, gbandit said:

Rodgers to Man U is getting a lot of media coverage, there’s supposedly a verbal agreement in place for him to take over, the question is when 

Would be happy with Rodgers. Mostly for the clear style of play.

2 minutes ago, Froggy said:

He's likely not the man to take Man United back to the top, but some of you are seriously (others not so seriously) trying to suggest someone who finished second last year is the worst manager in the league. :lol:  Grow up.

It’s hard to rate him against mid table managers given what happened at Cardiff. Most premier league managers have achieved something at championship or lower premier league level without having giant financial advantages.