The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

No problem at all with Emery deciding he wasn't good enough to keep us up, his call to make. Exactly the same call as van de Beek made opting to play a bit part role in almost relegating Everton before heading back to sit on the Man United bench in a world cup year.

4 hours ago, elbee909 said:

Emery didn't have the guts or self-belief, that Howe did, to get us out of our situation. Dodged a bullet.

3 hours ago, Joey Linton said:

No problem at all with Emery deciding he wasn't good enough to keep us up, his call to make. Exactly the same call as van de Beek made opting to play a bit part role in almost relegating Everton before heading back to sit on the Man United bench in a world cup year.

Fuck ‘em. And so happy to say that. :lol: 

No Emery bashing here. 

For whatever reason he chose not to bin his club off the day they were playing in Europe. 

Certainly didn't bottle anything or turn his nose up. 

Timing and diplomacy, or lack of, being the issues. Imho

As it happens it turned out in our favour. 

15 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

No Emery bashing here. 

For whatever reason he chose not to bin his club off the day they were playing in Europe. 

Certainly didn't bottle anything or turn his nose up. 

Timing and diplomacy, or lack of, being the issues. Imho

As it happens it turned out in our favour. 

Nailed it. 

He’s a fantastic manger and still underrated. We were bottom of the league while he was in Europe and arguably pushing for the title. 

I was gutted when it fell through but as you said it worked in our favour. I don’t think there’s a manager in world football that could have got a single extra point and changed the culture of the entire club like Howe has. 

1 hour ago, St1pe said:

Nailed it. 

He’s a fantastic manger and still underrated. We were bottom of the league while he was in Europe and arguably pushing for the title. 

I was gutted when it fell through but as you said it worked in our favour. I don’t think there’s a manager in world football that could have got a single extra point and changed the culture of the entire club like Howe has. 

Exactly this. It’s just the way things worked out but it worked out great for us anyway. It’ll be interesting to see how Emery does with this group of players. He’s clearly a great coach and probably has a point to prove still in the premier league. 

Yep, I'll add to the 'that's a good appointment' brigade.  Emery is a very good manager - though an actual manager would likely be a step up from Steeeevie Geeee.  Can't see them being troubled by relegation with him in charge; I'd guess he'll get them comfortable in the PL this season.  Pisser that the appointment wasn't next week instead of this, but we should still go into that game with confidence.

He is obviously head and shoulders ahead of Gerrard as a coach and definitely a much better appointment, but to play devils advocate for a few moments;

- doesn’t tend to last over 3 years at anyone club and tends to leave before his contract expires, although was sacked at Arsenal

- he’s a more pragmatic coach than attacking one a big complaint from Arsenal fans was a real lack of a defined playing style

- he’s good at setting up teams for matches against bigger opposition as evidenced in some of his results with Villarreal in the CL, however he can struggle when it’s on him to dictate the game 

- there is going to be a lot of pressure from the outset, these owners already got one marquee appointment wrong a second could be fatal for them. 
- The pressure and exposure at Villarreal is far below what will be expected of him at Villa, although he’s been a plenty big clubs earlier in his career. 

He will improve Villa, there’s no doubt in that but could be a rather expensive medium term appointment and may not take them as far as their ambitions lie. 

I have to kind of disagree with your last point there. Over the last 20 years I’d say Villarreal have been a bigger club than Villa. Villarreal have regularly played in Europe, including the Champions League and have been much more competitive La Liga than Villa have been in the Premier League. Let’s not also not disregard the fact that Villa at one point looked more in danger of dropping to League One than being promoted.

My Arsenal supporting mate reckons he’s dreadful and has a small club manager mentality and therefore will always have a ceiling as to what he can do with a club. Keeps banging on about the time when Emery was Arsenal manager and he played 5 at the back at home to Burnley to counteract the fret.

For what it’s worth I think it’ll be a decent appointment but can’t see him ever breaking the top 7 with them. Think he’ll have them hovering between 8-10th in a couple of years.

1 minute ago, Stifler said:

I have to kind of disagree with your last point there. Over the last 20 years I’d say Villarreal have been a bigger club than Villa. Villarreal have regularly played in Europe, including the Champions League and have been much more competitive La Liga than Villa have been in the Premier League. Let’s not also not disregard the fact that Villa at one point looked more in danger of dropping to League One than being promoted.

Villa are a miles bigger club than Villareal regardless of league position. You could fit nearly the entire population of the place inside Villa Park. 

Villareal are a well run and well funded side that have consistently punched above their weight. I’d argue their relatively smaller size has helped them do that.

Think Emery is a good appointment. Was excited as owt last year when we were close to getting him. 

Mental how lucky we’ve been really, not that we’ve dodged a bullet but more that we’ve found an absolute gem. 

7 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Villa are a miles bigger club than Villareal regardless of league position. You could fit nearly the entire population of the place inside Villa Park. 

Villareal are a well run and well funded side that have consistently punched above their weight. I’d argue their relatively smaller size has helped them do that.

I’m not saying that they are a bigger club overall, I’m saying in the last 20 years or so they have outperformed Villa. Their expectations I guess by contrast will be bigger than Villa’s. I don’t think any realistic Villa fan is sitting there thinking that their minimum aim must be European football, and their target should be the Champions League, where as possibly the Villarreal fans would expect to finish in the European places and believe that they should target a Champions League place.

Villarreal fans will likely be thinking an excellent season for them is finishing 3rd-4th, and Villa fans thinking 7th is one for them.

The pressure will be on Villarreal because they have built a team up to compete, where as Villa are on the road to building theirs.

Edited by Stifler

3 hours ago, David Edgar said:

This isn't true from what I've read.  The club fucked up and then wouldn't pay his release.

He agreed to come and then U-turned when the story got out. 

We’d agreed terms, it was a done deal. Nothing to do with not paying any release. 

Don't think there's any better pedigree of manager out there for them right now so fair play on going for it. Be interested to see how he does. No hard feelings over him not taking us on as there's no way we'd be feeling about him, how we feel about Howe so I've no feelings of what might've been.

I still struggle to muster any genuine dislike toward Villa so best of luck to them now Stevie Geeeeee's gone.

At the time I wanted Emery before Howe, obvious super happy with the way it has turned out. Howe and his staff have been a perfect fit for us and our needs. 

Think Villa have made a good appointment and he should get more of a tune out of Villa then Gerrard did.  

1 hour ago, GeordieDazzler said:

- The pressure and exposure at Villarreal is far below what will be expected of him at Villa, although he’s been a plenty big clubs earlier in his career. 

He will improve Villa, there’s no doubt in that but could be a rather expensive medium term appointment and may not take them as far as their ambitions lie. 

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

I think what the first quote is saying, and I may be wrong here - so please do correct me, is that Villareal didn't have a history, as in they have no illustrious past to compare to, nor 'live up' as it's an expectation of the fans that that's where they should be, ie in the top flight division, and winning trophys.

Doing a google search to get the wiki page for the team - it seems that after a very long time, the team (real) is on the move upwards so their fans are still, for the want of a better word - riding the wave.

1 History

1.1 1923–29: Early years

1.2 1929–98: Time in lower divisions

1.3 1998–2012: La Liga and European debuts

1.4 2012–present: Relegation and European glory

Whereas, Villa have won in the 80's several European trophies - so it is there days that their fans are wanting to go back to - because to them - they are a big team and deserve to be there - no matter what. 

This last sentence is bollocks tbh as NO team deserve to be at the top unless they have earned it - so let's see how he does.

I'd be interested to see where Stevie G. next appears.

25 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

On the Villa/Newcastle rivalry, I was in the away end there when we went down. I wish them every misfortune as a football club.

Brummie is sound though :nods:

Me too. Load of cunts on the day, for no reason whatsoever.

I never disliked Villa until that relegation, in fact I grew up during Ron Atkinson's European side in the early 90s and rather enjoyed watching them. I have zero idea where that bitterness came from either, it was just so random. Maybe Villa fans are also MLFs as well.