2014 FIFA World Cup Brasil™ - Europe vs. America

LucaAltieri
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Spain have approached this World Cup from entirely the wrong angle imo. Their style of football 4 years ago was sublime. It wasn't new, but it hadn't been played in a long while and other teams just couldn't get a hold of the quality. But football has moved on and this is not the stage in which to try and slowly dictate a game. This is the world Cup in Brazil. Teams have come here to play, to attack. Formations have evolved and Spain aren't facing the same opposition as they used to. I don't at all get the impression that Spain have evolved in the same way. They seem soft, predictable and old.

Spain have approached this World Cup from entirely the wrong angle imo. Their style of football 4 years ago was sublime. It wasn't new, but it hadn't been played in a long while and other teams just couldn't get a hold of the quality. But football has moved on and this is not the stage in which to try and slowly dictate a game. This is the world Cup in Brazil. Teams have come here to play, to attack. Formations have evolved and Spain aren't facing the same opposition as they used to. I don't at all get the impression that Spain have evolved in the same way. They seem soft, predictable and old.

Think it's more to do with the fact the vast majority of their best 11 have declined as players.

Think it's more to do with the fact the vast majority of their best 11 have declined as players.

Ramos aside their spine has declined. Can often carry a couple out wide, can't do so in central areas.

Aye. Bring that team from four years ago forward in time and they'd still win this world cup. They're just not as good as they used to be in key areas.

Aye, Xavi in particular. Was so important for Spain and Barca, directing that passing game.

Aye. Bring that team from four years ago forward in time and they'd still win this world cup.

Yep.

Well, aye. Age will do that. It's not like they were the youngest of sides in South Africa. But then there's my case in point. We see it week in week out, refusal to play a different system even though your first 11 in the formation picked aren't your best players and it's not necessarily your best formation. You evolve based on what's around you. They don't have anywhere near enough pace and power (which I know you're a fan of). They've got to think differently.

Aye. Bring that team from four years ago forward in time and they'd still win this world cup.

Yep.

Not sure I agree, myself.

Yep.

Yeah, I think even with the same players the style would've been known by now and the other teams would have evolved to know how to counter it. Sure the Spain players are a bit worse than four years ago, but still. It's the style that's failing, teams know how to stop it now.

Yep.

They didn't exactly coast to victory in 2010 and I think there are better teams in this world cup than the last one