How far can they go - what would break you?

Guest Howaythetoon

I touched upon this in the Mike Ashley thread, I'd support any ownership coming in and wanting to build a winning club - be it, Man City type big spending or measured annual investment with a commitment to putting a winning team on the pitch.  In the end, I just don't want an owner messing about with the fans like our current one clearly has done.

But I draw the line when the club's name is changed, colors are messed with and the badge is re-done that removes the history of the club (If we somehow had a 3rd kit with one of our older badges or something like that, I'd not be opposed to that...but would defer my opinion on badge/history items to the local supporters...)

That's really where I stand on the matter of ownership.

I guess I am in the minority. I wouldn't be in favour of it, but it wouldn't stop me going and supporting the club. They would still be NUFC to me, the same way it was still St. James Park, but with a possibility of winning something in my lifetime.  :dontknow:

We're dangerousley close to not being the club I fell in love with almost 20 years ago. Finding it increasingly difficult to identify my support with what's being offered. I feel it and it affects me even though I'm not from Newcastle nor live there. It's been and is still such a big part of my life.

Any change to the club's name, colours or anything close to that would kill it completley.

Someone said something on here about protection should be offered for the heritage of clubs. I think that's a brilliant idea. My fear is that the next generation of football supporters, who grow up during the hyper-inflated and branded Premier League era, will have no qualms about changes being made to whatever, as long as it means world class players and the desired exposure.

I suggest a simple poll:

Would you rather

A) change the name, colours, etc and challenge for PL, CL, cups, have lots of money, buy and watch the best players,

Or

B) Put up with inevitable long term mediocrity?

If they had shown any sort of willingness to compromise with fans then I'd be interested, but their track record doesn't indicate that. If the ultimate destination with Champions League I could handle a consistent second kit in Red Bull colors and probably a stadium sponsorship, but anything more would be too much, especially their logo coming anywhere near our shirts/badge. Not sure how I would actually react if an entire overhaul happened, it's too much to comprehend.

I suggest a simple poll:

Would you rather

A) change the name, colours, etc and challenge for PL, CL, cups, have lots of money, buy and watch the best players,

Or

B) Put up with inevitable long term mediocrity?

Ashley won't be here forever.

If they had shown any sort of willingness to compromise with fans then I'd be interested, but their track record doesn't indicate that. If the ultimate destination with Champions League I could handle a consistent second kit in Red Bull colors and probably a stadium sponsorship, but anything more would be too much, especially their logo coming anywhere near our shirts/badge. Not sure how I would actually react if an entire overhaul happened, it's too much to comprehend.

Their compromise at Salzburg was to offer a purple captains armband and socks for goalkeeper.  :lol:

I was speaking to a mate the other day about Red Bull's apparent interest in a Premier League club and he said "I hope its us". Now I knew next to nothing of them when it comes to sport so I read up on them and if they did indeed buy a PL club that club would very likely see some serious changes made to its shirt colours and even maybe its name.

My mate said it would be a kick in the stones if our colours were to change and even name, bit if it meant success and seeing NUFC amongst the best, he'd take it.

Each to their own...

Over the years we have seen football taken over by the £ or $ to the point where a whole club (Wimbledon) can be relocated and renamed and re-branded. We have seen Cardiff's colours change, Hull's name change and even Southampton's strip change design all in the name of marketing/branding/money.

Closer to home, our very own stadium was renamed and re-branded.

Yesterday, just under 53,000 people attended our game vs Liverpool.

My mate, would still follow NUFC even if we changed colours and had our name changed somewhat.

Me, they've broke me. The renaming of SJP, Wonga et al didn't stop me going to games full stop as I did attend a few, but Kinnear has stopped me going to any game.

That's me though.

I was thinking, say Red Bull took over, changed our colours and renamed us Newcastle Red Bull, we would lose fans, lots of fans, but if they brought in top players and CL footy, would those fans return? Would the future support accept Red Bull and those changes?

I sadly came to the conclusion that they could call us s**** united FC and if we were signing players of the calibre of Yaya Toure, Mata et al and playing the likes of Barcelona in the CL we would sell out. I reckon most if not all clubs would.

Anyway...

How far can they go and what would break you as a fan?

Would you support a Newcastle Red Bulls for example at the Red Bull Arena?

Redbull Arena would be fine with me as long as we we're benefiting on the pitch from the investment.

Personally I draw the line at change of team colours/name/badge.

Mostly this although I would like to see SJP incorporated into the Red Bull Arena name.

NUFC is a world famous club, mainly because of its history both recent and back through the years ; reputedly, the Italian who formed Juventus decided they would play in B & W stripes because he was so impressed with the football he saw when he came to watch NUFC, then a top side.

Surely, anyone taking the club over could see that some things about the club are too famous and important to change because they would gain nothing financially by doing it. ANY potential sponsor would be happy to be associated with us provided they knew there was ambition and real money going into making the club a regular competitor for the PL title and the CL...changing the club colours would not make a ha'porth of difference because most people associate the club with those stripes. Some of the other clubs mentioned as having changed strips etc are nowhere near as famous as us and therefore lost nothing by doing so whereas I believe we would.

Many fans would not take kindly to a change of colours which totally removed the traditional Black and White

so its hardly worth Red Bull doing so - there are plenty of ways they can improve Newcastle United but strip and name change is not part of that.

It would take some major on-field success to get many fans to accept these things although consistently being in the PL top 4 and in the CL may make the pill easier to swallow....

I was speaking to a mate the other day about Red Bull's apparent interest in a Premier League club and he said "I hope its us". Now I knew next to nothing of them when it comes to sport so I read up on them and if they did indeed buy a PL club that club would very likely see some serious changes made to its shirt colours and even maybe its name.

My mate said it would be a kick in the stones if our colours were to change and even name, bit if it meant success and seeing NUFC amongst the best, he'd take it.

Each to their own...

Over the years we have seen football taken over by the £ or $ to the point where a whole club (Wimbledon) can be relocated and renamed and re-branded. We have seen Cardiff's colours change, Hull's name change and even Southampton's strip change design all in the name of marketing/branding/money.

My mate, would still follow NUFC even if we changed colours and had our name changed somewhat.

Me, they've broke me. The renaming of SJP, Wonga et al didn't stop me going to games full stop as I did attend a few, but Kinnear has stopped me going to any game.

That's me though.

I was thinking, say Red Bull took over, changed our colours and renamed us Newcastle Red Bull, we would lose fans, lots of fans, but if they brought in top players and CL footy, would those fans return? Would the future support accept Red Bull and those changes?

I sadly came to the conclusion that they could call us s**** united FC and if we were signing players of the calibre of Yaya Toure, Mata et al and playing the likes of Barcelona in the CL we would sell out. I reckon most if not all clubs would.

Anyway...

Redbull Arena would be fine with me as long as we we're benefiting on the pitch from the investment.

Mostly this although I would like to see SJP incorporated into the Red Bull Arena name.

NUFC is a world famous club, mainly because of its history both recent and back through the years ; reputedly, the Italian who formed Juventus decided they would play in B & W stripes because he was so impressed with the football he saw when he came to watch NUFC, then a top side.

Surely, anyone taking the club over could see that some things about the club are too famous and important to change because they would gain nothing financially by doing it. ANY potential sponsor would be happy to be associated with us provided they knew there was ambition and real money going into making the club a regular competitor for the PL title and the CL...changing the club colours would not make a ha'porth of difference because most people associate the club with those stripes. Some of the other clubs mentioned as having changed strips etc are nowhere near as famous as us and therefore lost nothing by doing so whereas I believe we would.

Many fans would not take kindly to a change of colours which totally removed the traditional Black and White

so its hardly worth Red Bull doing so - there are plenty of ways they can improve Newcastle United but strip and name change is not part of that.

It would take some major on-field success to get many fans to accept these things although consistently being in the PL top 4 and in the CL may make the pill easier to swallow....

The bit in bold is bollocks.

Juventus got their black and white stripes from Notts County, which is why Notts County were invited to play Juventus at the inauguration of their new stadium in 2011.

I'd like to think that "Newcastle United" is sufficiently recognized as a global brand name to the point that trying to rename it would be counterproductive from a money-making perspective.

It's probably the same for most Premier League clubs, which is why I suspect that if/when Red Bull does adopt a team in the Premier League they would take a significantly different approach from what they've done in Salzburg.

I don't want a stadium name change under any circumstances, but it would be one of the lesser possible evils.

The badge has changed before, so that wouldn't be so bad. Depending on what it changed too obviously, I don't want Red Bulls on it!

Name change or colour change and I would probably stop following the club.

It's going to ashleys parting shot isn't it :lol: sell to someone who will completely wipe out our identity.

Suppose  it would be typical of his reign.... glimmer of hope followed by ridiculously shit news.

Each to their own...

That's me though.

Anyway...

The bit in bold is bollocks.

Juventus got their black and white stripes from Notts County, which is why Notts County were invited to play Juventus at the inauguration of their new stadium in 2011.

Aye, they received the wrong shipment (Notts County's instead) after ordering pink shirts and liked the B&W better.

Eurgh what an awful thing to think about :/

If this was asked 10 years ago you'd have thought that the bloke even asking this question was a fucking loony! I suppose it does show the state of football these days

Didn't that German team they bought keep pretty much their name, badge, colors et al? They just added RB to make it RB Leipzig.

EDIT: I was wrong. It wasn't even named Leipzig to begin with, plus:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fd/RB_Leipzig.png/200px-RB_Leipzig.png

What an awful proposition if NUFC was targetted, though. I lived in a city with an RB-owned team and the whole setup oozed tackiness, and a complete disinterest in engaging the local support. And MetroStars didn't have any kind of tradition to begin with...

This seems particularly relevant considering it's one of the concerns with the current incumbent. 

At least you can point to some vague initiatives like the Foundation and the Fans Forum etc under Ashley. Looking over their dealings with supporter groups in the past, Red Bull seem to be the poster boys in unresponsive and faceless ownership.

Didn't that German team they bought keep pretty much their name, badge, colors et al? They just added RB to make it RB Leipzig.

EDIT: I was wrong. It wasn't even named Leipzig to begin with, plus:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fd/RB_Leipzig.png/200px-RB_Leipzig.png

Aye read about them before, they apparently swallowed up a couple of clubs from that area and made the new one I think.

"The investment in SSV Markranstädt by Red Bull is not the company's first attempt to enter the Leipzig football scene. In 2006, it tried to purchase FC Sachsen Leipzig, a club with a rich tradition, but also plagued by constant financial trouble. After months of fan protests which deteriorated into violence, the company abandoned the plan.[9]"

Seems to be the way forward if they try anything....