Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Joe Kinnear will step in, he has said himself the only way he would take a DoF role was if he thought he had a chance of being manager.

Pardews our best option until Ashley sells up.

Guest bimpy474

Everyday i come on here hoping to read this guy is gone.

I know it's not going to happen though.

What do you hope will happen after that?

Appoint a nice man who plays lovely football ?

Win the lottery. Find a fiver in your jeans pocket.

Both of those are great :)

Guest bimpy474

I wonder how long it will be before someone comes out with "but no manager would ever come here while Ashley is the owner!"

1 post.

I agree if there was ever a time for Kinnear to take over it would be now. We have no realistic risk of going down so if he took over it would unite the fans in protest against him. Even the people that still support Pardew would surely be raging at Kinnear taking over. The media would pick up on it like they did last time and as said above, it would create a "shitstorm" that would cause something to happen.

What is more likely to happen is, we have a shit rest of the season under Pardew. We have a shit summer transfer window. We start next season horrifically and Pardew eventually gets sacked. All the stuff I just mentioned happens, except this time we're already in the shit in terms of league position. Then we get relegated.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle-united-alan-pardew-must-3108255#.Uu_PU_l_vA1

Alan Pardew must stand up for himself at Newcastle - or risk throwing away all the good work he's done

Feb 03, 2014 14:120 Comments

OPINION BY SIMON BIRD

The Magpies boss isn't helping himself by towing the party line at St James' Park, believes our man in the north east

Alan Pardew played the corporate man and tried to put a new spin on Newcastle's failure to replace Yohan Cabaye.

After the dispiriting loss to Sunderland Pardew was given the chance to vent his disappointment that a disfunctional "transfer team" were unable or unwilling to make a serious bid to land top target Clement Grenier.

He answered: “I didn’t particularly say in this window, though. I said, you know, we’ve got to get players of that class, there’s no doubt about that. So don’t try and angle that for this window because I think that’s unfair on me.”

That is nonsense of course. Pardew was wriggling, trying to keep owner Mike Ashley sweet. Trying not to rock the boat publicly with director of football, Joe Kinnear, whatever he does.

Two days earlier he had warned: "We need to bring someone in, for sure. We can’t lose someone of his quality and not replace him. That would leave us vulnerable."

Pardew must wise up to the fact that his stock will plunge with Newcastle fans, until he stops being the public apologist for the failings of the folk who employ him.

He will soon lose the credit he has built up guiding Newcastle to a decent first half of the season, unless he stops being the spokesman for the incompetence of employees like Kinnear, who should be nowhere near a senior role negotiating deals.

In short, Pardew should strap a pair on, forget the tap dance he does to keep Ashley and Kinnear happy with kind words and say, diplomatically, what he actually thinks.

And that should be that not replacing Cabaye - just before or after he was sold - has killed Newcastle's season. Any outside chance of chasing top six, and Europa League, has been extinguished.

It has left a squad shorn of its best player, with other suspensions and injuries rendering the first XI looking, at best, average.

That has left the fans to stew for months on what might have been. Who on the terraces is inspired the one challenge left: can Newcastle hold on to eighth place!?

Pardew must have been as desperate as any fan to see Grenier, or Remy Cabella, or both, added to his squad before the deadline. And he should say so.

I've not met a manager who would argue otherwise. Football bosses know it only takes four or five bad results to tip them from security to dodgy ground. Pardew has been shafted by Kinnear and Ashley, and it is HIS managerial reputation that will suffer if Newcastle peter out and slip down the table.

So why play along? Pardew is in a strong position. He is a rare example of an English manager who has proved he can guide a club into the top five on limited resources. The mistakes of last season were corrected and he could have gone close again this year if he worked for an owner who wanted to have a go within his own tight financial boundaries.

Now it seem Ashley isn't content with breaking even and United "wiping its own nose" - which is a favoured phrase. It seems he wants to asset strip, make a big profit each season, and claw back his £129 million loan.

Pardew would walk into the next top flight job if he was sacked. A sacking would leave Ashley searching for a new boss who may be far less compliant than Pardew has been in the last three-and-a-bit years.

Pardew, as I've written before here, has an almost impossible job keeping the peace between owner, fans, Kinnear and other internal power struggles at St James' Park.

But there comes a time when he has to be true to himself and take a risk treading on Ashley's ego, which is said to be fragile and sensitive for a man whose been so ruthless in retail.

I have been a fan of Pardew over these last few years. He has misfortune of being the only tier of management on Tyneside who regularly speaks in public. But there really is no need for him to laud Ashley like he did for instance after Newcastle beat Chelsea. He said at the time: "That one is for Mike."

He explained Mike really is a fan. And he insisted that despite suggestions to the contrary in the nasty media, that the club did have a well functioning management structure.

Pass the sick bag.

Having missed out on Grenier, and been left with a weakened squad for the rest of the season, surely Pardew regrets those fawning comments about the men who have left him "vulnerable"?

Let's ignore the fact he can't pick a team/beat teams below us at home/formulate any kind of sustainable tactics/get a team hyped up for a derby at home. Yes poor little Pardew and those nasty men above him that keep taking his toys away, of which he isn't complicit.... Honest!

You won't find those in the fraternity criticise each other to the necessary degree no matter how bad things get...Souness, Allardyce, Warnock, Hughes, Ince, Di Canio et al. So much mediocre-terrible appointments made jobs dor the boys style and they all blow smoke up each others arses ad nauseaum. Matt Holland won't hear a bad word said about Pardew on TalkShite because he's played a round of golf with him every 6 month. Sports writing/media is the pits man.

You won't find those in the fraternity criticise each other to the necessary degree no matter how bad things get...Souness, Allardyce, Warnock, Hughes, Ince, Di Canio et al. So much mediocre-terrible appointments made jobs dor the boys style and they all blow smoke up each others arses ad nauseaum. Matt Holland won't hear a bad word said about Pardew on TalkShite because he's played a round of golf with him every 6 month. Sports writing/media is the pits man.

Cricket is a big exception to this imo. I listen to TMS a lot and I'm often quite shocked how frank some of the commentary team (not just Boycott) are, even about players they've played with and will know well.

Cricket is a big exception to this imo. I listen to TMS a lot and I'm often quite shocked how frank some of the commentary team (not just Boycott) are, even about players they've played with and will know well.

I suppose its down to national cricket being a lot more prominent than the premier club competitions. The Premier League casts a massive shadow over the national game and the sums of money involved (litigation risk?) are vast.

Definately. I was listening to a podcast last week with Gabriel Marcotti concerning Cortese's spell at Southampton. Pardew had a falling out with him when the team physio left and Pardew wanted a mate of his from his playing days to be the replacement. Cortese wanted to employ a medical professional to interview prospective candidates and find the most suitable and in doing so having a Physio who was loyal to the club rather than to the manager.Supposedly Pardew wasnt impressed with Cortese as he wasn't a "football man" and employing people from outside his circle. Probably how we ended up with a journeyman chav as our goalkeeping coach.

Definately. I was listening to a podcast last week with Gabriel Marcotti concerning Cortese's spell at Southampton. Pardew had a falling out with him when the team physio left and Pardew wanted a mate of his from his playing days to be the replacement. Cortese wanted to employ a medical professional to interview prospective candidates and find the most suitable and in doing so having a Physio who was loyal to the club rather than to the manager.Supposedly Pardew wasnt impressed with Cortese as he wasn't a "football man" and employing people from outside his circle. Probably how we ended up with a journeyman chav as our goalkeeping coach.

What podcast was that? Wouldn't mind having a listen to it. :thup:

What podcast was that? Wouldn't mind having a listen to it. :thup:

It's an Irish sports one from Jan 16th called Second Captains. It's about half way through I think, that's the only mention of Pardew on it

Guest neesy111

That somes up Pardews mentality to a T.