Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest bimpy474

Some of our fans just plain don't like Pardew. It's understandable, he can be a difficult person to like and there are a lot of flaws, however he deserves a huge chunk of credit for our recent upswing in form for which he is responsible. He took brave decisions that would be unpopular so he could implement a system which suited us better and we've started to pick up results.

I don't see a problem with people discussing issues, however some posters either see what they want to see or have a rather tenuous grasp on reality. Example: after the Southampton game I came in this very thread and saw a couple of people complaining about how defensive we were in the second half, even though we only conceded because our back four was on the edge of their final third and Santon had tried to lob the ball into their box rather than take the conservative option and spray it wide to Debuchy. It's not entirely surprising that posters get defensive when they come into threads and see guff like that.

I thought that Santon had lost the ball further back into our own half and admitted that I was wrong, I wasn't wrong that we'd come out for the 2nd half and sat back.

Its amazing that people choose to ignore or don't have the intelligence to see this. It isn't like it's only happened once or twice or even periodically. Against sides that we are better than with a half time lead, we sit back with a keep what we have ethic.

do you think it's always tactical though ? sometimes we have, especially last season. however sometimes this season I think we've been pushed back and caught out for being one paced, in a team tempo sense. it's also why we struggle when going behind, not because we don't want to score, more that we struggle to raise the tempo.

I've been saying this for weeks, for me it's a two fold thing. The opposition coming out more determind with a different shape and much more attacking, they push us back and we get deep and very defensive.

The second part of that though is Pardew himself. He doesn't react to it at all, i know he must expect a reaction from the opposition but he usually does nothing, he then waits far too long to react with a tactical change or sustitution. By the time he does we are pushed in deep and cant get out, it's not all Pardew as some think (imo) but he must take a fair chunk of blame for letting us get pushed back.

Although i'd like to, i dont think he tells us to defend second halfs, he just doesn't seem to know what to do most of the time when the opposition do something he doesn't expect. Tactcial limitation and all that.

I thought top 10 would have been a decent season a few months ago because I thought our level was somewhere in between the last 2 seasons. The more this season develops though, the more last season looks more of an abnormality. We're a top 6 challenger. We might not necessarily end up there because there's 4 teams above us with bigger better squads, and 2 below us, but we're where we should be challenging.

no way we win that without the sendings off like, i'm sorry, it's like some people just haven't been paying attention for the last 3 years

Those Charlie Adam 30 yarders were going to fly in second half weren't they...

:lol: what do you see with your eyes brett?

I saw a manager change to a formation we haven't been playing at home, look out of sorts in adapting to it and in need of a re-shuffle. Major surgery wasn't needed, just a change in formation and maybe a change of personel at half time if we were still getting beat. Obviously nobody knows how the game would have panned out but even when we went one down i was confident we could still turn it around. Stoke just basically threw us the 3 points instead.

How many times does he 'get it wrong' at home when faced with teams who are not in the top echelons of the league?

In fact, a better question is how many times does he get it right?

Was a f***ing formation people on here wanted us to play, Ben Arfa back in the side, no Shola, no Tiote at home. So he plays it, struggling with it and gets criticised for trying it :lol:

Everyone wanted Shola dropped, got dropped and worst we've played at home in recent times when he wasn't in the side. For the record, i thought he picked the right side prior to kick off then soon realised it wasn't really working and was expecting changes half time.

This is the best point i've read on this forum in a long time.

I thought I was clearly putting this team 3rd behind keegan and robson, by saying. this is the third best wev'e been.

I also said, and its a fact that cant be argued against, in terms of winning something this team has the potential to surpass those. by the sheer fact they did not, and this team is still entering competitions.

I would probably agree with that. Also to be taken into account is the low net spend he's achieved it with, which makes it even more impressive - KK and SBR were both well backed financially, and didn't have to compete against ridiculous billionaire's toys like Chelsea and Man City either.

Kind of agree, however I think it's wrong to say "the low net spend he's achieved it with" as clearly Pardew has next to nothing to do with who we buy or for what price. What he does have is a very good squad of players that he has to try to get the best out of.

Imagine Ben Arfa playing under KK or SBR man... one things for sure he wouldn't be warming the bench.

Don't want to say anyone is clearly guilty of this but... :lol:

Honestly though it was like reading RTG at times yesterday with the "we were lucky" comments. It was the same the season we finished 5th. Not sure some will ever enjoy watching us anymore as they seem desperate to be 'balanced'.

We certainly had the rub of the green to get into that position and things weren't looking good at all on 40 minutes, but as I said earlier on you can only beat what's in front of you and we did that with aplomb, so good stuff.  I'm watching MOTD and Shearer and Savage are both saying we were lucky to get all the decisions we did yesterday, not sure what their N-O usernames are but they're as manic-depressive Pardew-haters as anyone else on here going by the logic you're applying.

Well if 'try too hard to be impartial' Shearer and 'wind up merchant' Savage said it how can anyone argue? :lol:

I'd prefer to go on what I saw, neither of the sendings off were harsh and we could have had a few more decisions go our way but Atkinson basically felt sorry for them knowing there was no way back.

Neither of the sendings off were harsh, but that doesn't change the fact that we were lucky to be playing Stoke on the day Whelan decided he wanted a bath after 40 minutes. You don't have to be a recipient of dodgy decisions to enjoy good fortune.

Guest bimpy474

no way we win that without the sendings off like, i'm sorry, it's like some people just haven't been paying attention for the last 3 years

I saw a manager change to a formation we haven't been playing at home, look out of sorts in adapting to it and in need of a re-shuffle. Major surgery wasn't needed, just a change in formation and maybe a change of personel at half time if we were still getting beat. Obviously nobody knows how the game would have panned out but even when we went one down i was confident we could still turn it around. Stoke just basically threw us the 3 points instead.

How many times does he 'get it wrong' at home when faced with teams who are not in the top echelons of the league?

Was a f***ing formation people on here wanted us to play, Ben Arfa back in the side, no Shola, no Tiote at home. So he plays it, struggling with it and gets criticised for trying it :lol:

Everyone wanted Shola dropped, got dropped and worst we've played at home in recent times when he wasn't in the side. For the record, i thought he picked the right side prior to kick off then soon realised it wasn't really working and was expecting changes half time.

Brett got part of that right, but we didn't struggle with it, we came out thinking we already had the game won. Wrong attitude for the game rather than wrong players or system, imo.

I think, and already agreed, that the 11 was right. I just don't think he got anything else right, something about the whole approach was off. As stated it was evident that we weren't flooding forward to support attacks from midfield and making them worry about us enough.

If you're going to play the team he played then when fullbacks or anyone else gets wide there should be 2-3 players bursting through the middle at home vs the likes of Stoke.

But yeah, nothing pardew can do about that, apparently.

I think, and already agreed, that the 11 was right. I just don't think he got anything else right, something about the whole approach was off. As stated it was evident that we weren't flooding forward to support attacks from midfield and making them worry about us enough.

If you're going to play the team he played then when fullbacks or anyone else gets wide there should be 2-3 players bursting through the middle at home vs the likes of Stoke.

We've generally started games in an attacking manner, why would Pardew suddenly decide not to against Stoke? I saw a lot of lax play going back and forward,  I took it more as a lack of focus than something tactical.

Brett got part of that right, but we didn't struggle with it, we came out thinking we already had the game won. Wrong attitude for the game rather than wrong players or system, imo.

That's partly true. But when you read this forum you would think that would solve all our problems. We looked a light touch in midfield and we couldn't really get the ball to stick up top.

We've generally started games in an attacking manner, why would Pardew suddenly decide not to against Stoke? I saw a lot of lax play going back and forward,  I took it more as a lack of focus than something tactical.

Same shit being spouted during the 5th season when we couldn't attack teams like stoke at home properly.

If it's the players fault in this case then, do they take all the credit when we put in a good shift away home?

I believe as the manager he's responsible for it all, not just what you pick and choose.

Guest bimpy474

Same shit being spouted during the 5th season when we couldn't attack teams like stoke at home properly.

If it's the players fault in this case then, do they take all the credit when we put in a good shift away home?

I believe as the manager he's responsible for it all, not just what you pick and choose.

Erm wasn't Stoke at home one of our best performances of that season, Cabaye through ball to Cisse etc, 3-0  :dontknow:

Don't want to say anyone is clearly guilty of this but... :lol:

Honestly though it was like reading RTG at times yesterday with the "we were lucky" comments. It was the same the season we finished 5th. Not sure some will ever enjoy watching us anymore as they seem desperate to be 'balanced'.

We certainly had the rub of the green to get into that position and things weren't looking good at all on 40 minutes, but as I said earlier on you can only beat what's in front of you and we did that with aplomb, so good stuff.  I'm watching MOTD and Shearer and Savage are both saying we were lucky to get all the decisions we did yesterday, not sure what their N-O usernames are but they're as manic-depressive Pardew-haters as anyone else on here going by the logic you're applying.

Well if 'try too hard to be impartial' Shearer and 'wind up merchant' Savage said it how can anyone argue? :lol:

I'd prefer to go on what I saw, neither of the sendings off were harsh and we could have had a few more decisions go our way but Atkinson basically felt sorry for them knowing there was no way back.

Neither of the sendings off were harsh, but that doesn't change the fact that we were lucky to be playing Stoke on the day Whelan decided he wanted a bath after 40 minutes. You don't have to be a recipient of dodgy decisions to enjoy good fortune.

When is anyone not lucky? That time Cabaye catches it just right, Krul dives at just the right time, the linesman gets the difficult decision spot on, the opposition players get sent off for stupid tackles etc..

Erm wasn't Stoke at home one of our best performances of that season, Cabaye through ball to Cisse etc, 3-0  :dontknow:

Howay man, "like" Stoke, teams that come to sit deep for a point hoping we slip up and give them more.

Same s*** being spouted during the 5th season when we couldn't attack teams like stoke at home properly.

I never said it was wholly the players' fault, the manager's the one that motivates them. I'm just saying I highly doubt it was tactical considering our performances against lesser opposition, this season, which have generally been positive.

Edit: positive in how we've started games.