Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

it is argueably the 3rd best time to support us in 30 odd years. Bettered only by the Keegan, and Robson Teams.

Also by the sheer fact in can improve,win something? has the potential to match or surpass them.

yet some people are not happy.

Was thinking this yesterday. Despite the shit thrown at Pardew, he is quite possibly the third best manager some of us have had in our life times.

Sounds a bit of a bonkers thought. :lol:

Nevertheless, it's a valid one, unless of course you're inclined to give more of the credit to Ashley for investing in a squad he can't fail with.

I agree with this. Have done really well under Mr. trying-to-buy-our-own-player and Cashley. Any other decent manager would have walked a long time ago (and rightly so tbh), so there really isn't any other way than to support Pardew and the team. If we ever get another owner, we can discuss him then.

and by the way, that's s*** performances with pretty much an entire first team squad available for the season so far...

s*** performances...

here brett, fuck you and your constant dodgy quoting to make points

the above edited version, as you well fucking know, was about how we we find it hard to break down teams at home who come to shut up shop

west ham, fulham, hull, norwich, west brom, stoke (i left out southampton, liverpool, chelsea as they play more expansive games)

so there's 6 of our 9 home games - aside from post-sendings off stoke how many good performances were put in in those games?  be honest....cp40's putting us in the keegan/robson bracket here man, how do you think their teams would have done trying to break down those 6 sides?

as for cp40's other point i'm happy and enjoying it, don't see why we can't talk about it like

Some of our fans just plain don't like Pardew. It's understandable, he can be a difficult person to like and there are a lot of flaws, however he deserves a huge chunk of credit for our recent upswing in form for which he is responsible. He took brave decisions that would be unpopular so he could implement a system which suited us better and we've started to pick up results.

I don't see a problem with people discussing issues, however some posters either see what they want to see or have a rather tenuous grasp on reality. Example: after the Southampton game I came in this very thread and saw a couple of people complaining about how defensive we were in the second half, even though we only conceded because our back four was on the edge of their final third and Santon had tried to lob the ball into their box rather than take the conservative option and spray it wide to Debuchy. It's not entirely surprising that posters get defensive when they come into threads and see guff like that.

I felt we came out for the second half against Southampton with little or no intention of scoring another goal. That their equaliser happened to come on the break doesn't change my opinion on that.

I felt we came out for the second half against Southampton with little or no intention of scoring another goal. That their equaliser happened to come on the break doesn't change my opinion on that.

That's what I saw too. I know I don't like Pardew but I'm not going to accept that this will blind my ability to rationally view a match.

That's what I saw too. I know I don't like Pardew but I'm not going to accept that this will blind my ability to rationally view a match.

I quite like the chancing cunt to be honest, I certainly don't hate the guy as some do, as you say though I can separate that from what I see during the games.

Some of our fans just plain don't like Pardew. It's understandable, he can be a difficult person to like and there are a lot of flaws, however he deserves a huge chunk of credit for our recent upswing in form for which he is responsible. He took brave decisions that would be unpopular so he could implement a system which suited us better and we've started to pick up results.

I don't see a problem with people discussing issues, however some posters either see what they want to see or have a rather tenuous grasp on reality. Example: after the Southampton game I came in this very thread and saw a couple of people complaining about how defensive we were in the second half, even though we only conceded because our back four was on the edge of their final third and Santon had tried to lob the ball into their box rather than take the conservative option and spray it wide to Debuchy. It's not entirely surprising that posters get defensive when they come into threads and see guff like that.

I thought that Santon had lost the ball further back into our own half and admitted that I was wrong, I wasn't wrong that we'd come out for the 2nd half and sat back.

I thought that Santon had lost the ball further back into our own half and admitted that I was wrong, I wasn't wrong that we'd come out for the 2nd half and sat back.

Its amazing that people choose to ignore or don't have the intelligence to see this. It isn't like it's only happened once or twice or even periodically. Against sides that we are better than with a half time lead, we sit back with a keep what we have ethic.

Its amazing that people choose to ignore or don't have the intelligence to see this. It isn't like it's only happened once or twice or even periodically. Against sides that we are better than with a half time lead, we sit back with a keep what we have ethic.

Some people can't or won't see past the result for some reason, it we don't get beat we've done enough.

:lol: Yep, me neither.  Jesus Christ.

do you think it's always tactical though ? sometimes we have, especially last season. however sometimes this season I think we've been pushed back and caught out for being one paced, in a team tempo sense. it's also why we struggle when going behind, not because we don't want to score, more that we struggle to raise the tempo.

What pisses me off about Pardew -- well, the Southampton match. Bringing Ben Arfa is what won the match against Man Utd. They were resurgent and he came on and killed the game. Absolutely brillant.

So what does Pardew do against Southampton?  Does Ben Arfa start the second half? Or do we sit back and invite the pressure? He brought Ben Arfa on when, in the 80 minute? I'd really like to like Pardew-- his personality has nothing to do with it.

even though we only conceded because our back four was on the edge of their final third and Santon had tried to lob the ball into their box rather than take the conservative option and spray it wide to Debuchy.

That isn't true though. We conceded because a couple of our midfielders were strolling back after a FK was cleared, and that Santon made a horrendous decision. There's this mistaken impression that we were being gung-ho getting our 2nd goal that lead to us conceding when the truth was the players didn't even bothered getting back from miles-offside positions. And two of our back four plus Tiote were our last line of defence when Santon was in the middle doing his though ball.

It was more an overall poor play than an indication of any attacking intent.

Anyone saw how we were all over the place leading to the Southampton goal? Debuchy took a FK that Southampton cleared first time. The ball fell to Tiote who then passed to Santon, whose ambitious through ball was intercepted and they went on to score from that.

All this while, Gouffran was way offside in their box. Same goes for Sissoko who kept asking for the ball miles offside on the right. Another stroller in Williamson was in line with their last defender leaving Colo short on the counter-attack.

And you can see all ten of Southampton's outfield players in the screenie. That was how bad the trio were when they should be bursting a gut to get back in position.

http://i.imgur.com/4AuVtX5.png?1

It tells you even more when you watch the actual clip.

even though we only conceded because our back four was on the edge of their final third and Santon had tried to lob the ball into their box rather than take the conservative option and spray it wide to Debuchy.

That isn't true though. We conceded because a couple of our midfielders were strolling back after a FK was cleared, and that Santon made a horrendous decision. There's this mistaken impression that we were being gung-ho getting our 2nd goal that lead to us conceding when the truth was the players didn't even bothered getting back from miles-offside positions. And two of our back four plus Tiote were our last line of defence when Santon was in the middle doing his though ball.

It was more an overall poor play than an indication of any attacking intent.

Anyone saw how we were all over the place leading to the Southampton goal? Debuchy took a FK that Southampton cleared first time. The ball fell to Tiote who then passed to Santon, whose ambitious through ball was intercepted and they went on to score from that.

All this while, Gouffran was way offside in their box. Same goes for Sissoko who kept asking for the ball miles offside on the right. Another stroller in Williamson was in line with their last defender leaving Colo short on the counter-attack.

And you can see all ten of Southampton's outfield players in the screenie. That was how bad the trio were when they should be bursting a gut to get back in position.

http://i.imgur.com/4AuVtX5.png?1

It tells you even more when you watch the actual clip.

The players don't need to bust a gut to get back onside in that situation, if Santon doesn't play a stupid ball and give it away and instead lays it to Debuchy, who has space to run into, then the Southampton back four will retreat and Sissoko and Gouffran could be in very good attacking positions. It's all about phases of play, sadly in this situation Santon got his ball so awfully wrong and it cost us.

Not when 2 of them were in totally impossible offside positions. You could see the clip and realise how much they were taking their time in no mans land. And Santon defintely takes a huge slice of the blame for playing the wrong ball.

Anyway, we've had a fair bit of discussion in the match thread you might want to read about.

and by the way, that's s*** performances with pretty much an entire first team squad available for the season so far...

s*** performances...

the above edited version, as you well fucking know, was about how we we find it hard to break down teams at home who come to shut up shop

west ham, fulham, hull, norwich, west brom, stoke (i left out southampton, liverpool, chelsea as they play more expansive games)

so there's 6 of our 9 home games - aside from post-sendings off stoke how many good performances were put in in those games?  be honest....cp40's putting us in the keegan/robson bracket here man, how do you think their teams would have done trying to break down those 6 sides?

as for cp40's other point i'm happy and enjoying it, don't see why we can't talk about it like

I thought I was clearly putting this team 3rd behind keegan and robson, by saying. this is the third best wev'e been.

I also said, and its a fact that cant be argued against, in terms of winning something this team has the potential to surpass those. by the sheer fact they did not, and this team is still entering competitions.

Don't want to say anyone is clearly guilty of this but... :lol:

Honestly though it was like reading RTG at times yesterday with the "we were lucky" comments. It was the same the season we finished 5th. Not sure some will ever enjoy watching us anymore as they seem desperate to be 'balanced'.

We certainly had the rub of the green to get into that position and things weren't looking good at all on 40 minutes, but as I said earlier on you can only beat what's in front of you and we did that with aplomb, so good stuff.  I'm watching MOTD and Shearer and Savage are both saying we were lucky to get all the decisions we did yesterday, not sure what their N-O usernames are but they're as manic-depressive Pardew-haters as anyone else on here going by the logic you're applying.

Well if 'try too hard to be impartial' Shearer and 'wind up merchant' Savage said it how can anyone argue? :lol:

I'd prefer to go on what I saw, neither of the sendings off were harsh and we could have had a few more decisions go our way but Atkinson basically felt sorry for them knowing there was no way back.

Don't want to say anyone is clearly guilty of this but... :lol:

Honestly though it was like reading RTG at times yesterday with the "we were lucky" comments. It was the same the season we finished 5th. Not sure some will ever enjoy watching us anymore as they seem desperate to be 'balanced'.

We certainly had the rub of the green to get into that position and things weren't looking good at all on 40 minutes, but as I said earlier on you can only beat what's in front of you and we did that with aplomb, so good stuff.  I'm watching MOTD and Shearer and Savage are both saying we were lucky to get all the decisions we did yesterday, not sure what their N-O usernames are but they're as manic-depressive Pardew-haters as anyone else on here going by the logic you're applying.

Well if 'try too hard to be impartial' Shearer and 'wind up merchant' Savage said it how can anyone argue? :lol:

I'd prefer to go on what I saw, neither of the sendings off were harsh and we could have had a few more decisions go our way but Atkinson basically felt sorry for them knowing there was no way back.

Who gives a fuck we have had a lot go against us in the past that we deserve a bit of luck, there was at least 1 sending off right and should have been at least 2 more pens. Stoke lost the plot after going 1 up and we took full advantage of it.

s*** performances...

I thought I was clearly putting this team 3rd behind keegan and robson, by saying. this is the third best wev'e been.

I also said, and its a fact that cant be argued against, in terms of winning something this team has the potential to surpass those. by the sheer fact they did not, and this team is still entering competitions.

Not disputing that, just saying that you'd imagine the 3rd best setup in what 30 years would be capable of not struggling every single fucking time an average team comes up to defend. :lol:

Parallels with the 5th finish are incredible, i. e. results vs. performances at home.

Some people can't or won't see past the result for some reason, it we don't get beat we've done enough.

The whole ethos of the club is dumbing down expectations - even if we went 8 games without winning, people would still point at the run we are on now and hold the view that its all we can expect....sadly unless we get a change of owner or attitude at the top, that IS all we can expect.

Most fans will view a Top 10 finish as a 'good season'.

The whole ethos of the club is dumbing down expectations - even if we went 8 games without winning, people would still point at the run we are on now and hold the view that its all we can expect....sadly unless we get a change of owner or attitude at the top, that IS all we can expect.

I agree 100%. Fact is after last season it would be though. But with where we are currently , a bit of investment in January and who knows how high up the tree we can climb. We shall see what the ambition of the owner is like January that is for sure. 

I would probably agree with that. Also to be taken into account is the low net spend he's achieved it with, which makes it even more impressive - KK and SBR were both well backed financially, and didn't have to compete against ridiculous billionaire's toys like Chelsea and Man City either.

I am not sure if that many would regard top 10 as anything other than about par or slightly below par to be honest.