Manchester United

Mr. Snrub
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Did you include Rafael? :lol: guy is absolutely rank

So poor. Never seen him play a game where he hasn't done something that could get him sent off.

I was saying this to someone the other day. I've literally never seen him play and not nearly get a red or two yellows. He's a pure radgie.

On the other hand, enough world class players can succeed no matter who the manager is. To a certain extent anyway.

You would never get Ferguson saying "Cabaye has gone so we are going to change our style a little bit".

You possibly would if the remaining midfielders couldn't create fuck all between them.

Creative midfielders like Marveaux and Ben Arfa are a luxury when you need solid wingers like Gouffran and two defensive midfielders like Tiote and Anita, as I'm sure Pards would explain to you.

Ben Arfa's a winger.

Anita, Sissoko and Tiote can't come close to giving a team what Cabaye can.

In which case a more positive manager would look to get more creative play from other areas of the pitch to replace what we lost when Cabaye left. Do you really need Tiote and Anita in the same side? How about swapping Haidara for Dummett to get some width? Then you could always consider using the like of Ben Arfa and Marveaux more than we have done if we are looking to win games at home.

I'm not sure Ben Arfa really is a winger. He seems to perform slightly better playing wide for us, but he's not a winger in the sense we usually use that label. I would only call people like Lennon and Downing wingers really.

Do you consider Robben a winger?

Rafael i reckon is a John O'Shea, Nicky butt type. A decent enough sort of player who Man united have always had because you can't have a team full of Ronaldos.

Years ago the quality of their best players would have hidden the weakness'es of the likes of Rafael. But now the rest of the side is mostly average, the likes of Rafael are exposed, and he's been a liability this season if you ask me.

I'm not sure Ben Arfa really is a winger. He seems to perform slightly better playing wide for us, but he's not a winger in the sense we usually use that label. I would only call people like Lennon and Downing wingers really.

Not sure, haven't seen him much since he left Chelsea. Probably, yes.

He's always been a winger though. He started his career at LW. His game has always been beating fullbacks. He's varied it up and swapped sides but that's what you think of when you thing of Robben. Hatem's a converted #10 isn't he?

Rafael i reckon is a John O'Shea, Nicky butt type. A decent enough sort of player who Man united have always had because you can't have a team full of Ronaldos.

Years ago the quality of their best players would have hidden the weakness'es of the likes of Rafael. But now the rest of the side is mostly average, the likes of Rafael are exposed, and he's been a liability this season if you ask me.

Well that's not really true at all, clearly very talented, can attack and cant defend (see the vast majority of supposed top fullbacks), skilful, an attacking threat and a constant runner but too eager to challenge his man and reckless with that.

Well that's not really true at all, clearly very talented, can attack and cant defend (see the vast majority of supposed top fullbacks), skilful, an attacking threat and a constant runner but too eager to challenge his man and reckless with that.

I would agree with Henke if it wasn't for the fact this league doesn't really have any class right-backs. He's not bad, but he's just an ok player. Better than what most teams in the league has but there's a reason he's not even 4th choice RB for the national side.

I think Rafeal is alright like

Rafael will be good. He's doing alright in a very bad defence and midfield at the moment.

Rafael is class like. Been consistently one of our best players for two or three seasons. To not rate him is outright stupidity. He does have recklessness still in his game, but defensively and going forward he's got all the goods. He's also 23, still has plenty of time to mature to get rid of the moments of rashness.

If Santon played for Man United he'd be rated as a bit of a liability at times but bags of potential. Decent full back in the making however. Same as yer man Rafael. Yet he's slated when he plays for us.

28 March 2014 Last updated at 08:07

Manchester United troubles 'affect Premier League brand'

Manchester United's troubled defence of their Premier League title is harming the English top flight's worldwide brand, says the competition's chief executive Richard Scudamore.

Under new boss David Moyes, United are seventh in a disappointing campaign.

The 20-time champions are 18 points adrift of leaders Chelsea.  "It's a double-edged sword," said Scudamore. "When your most popular club isn't doing as well, that costs you interest and audience in some places."

Former Everton manager Moyes has watched the Red Devils suffer 10 defeats in 31 league matches since he replaced Sir Alex Ferguson, who retired last summer after almost 27 years in charge.

His team were knocked out of the FA Cup at the third-round stage before being eliminated from the Capital One Cup in the semi-finals.They have reached the Champions League quarter-finals, where they will face defending champions Bayern Munich next month. "There are lots of fans around the world who wish Manchester United were winning it again," added Scudamore."But you have to balance that off against, generally, we're in the business of putting on a competition and competition means people can compete."

Overseas television deals will earn the Premier League more than £2bn between 2013 and 2016. The Premier League sold its domestic broadcasting rights to Sky and BT in a record-breaking deal, worth around £3bn, last year.

The Premier League 'brand' :anguish:

Manchester United's troubled defence of their Premier League title is harming the English top flight's worldwide brand, says the competition's chief executive Richard Scudamore.

The 20-time champions are 18 points adrift of leaders Chelsea.  "It's a double-edged sword," said Scudamore. "When your most popular club isn't doing as well, that costs you interest and audience in some places."

Former Everton manager Moyes has watched the Red Devils suffer 10 defeats in 31 league matches since he replaced Sir Alex Ferguson, who retired last summer after almost 27 years in charge.

His team were knocked out of the FA Cup at the third-round stage before being eliminated from the Capital One Cup in the semi-finals.They have reached the Champions League quarter-finals, where they will face defending champions Bayern Munich next month. "There are lots of fans around the world who wish Manchester United were winning it again," added Scudamore."But you have to balance that off against, generally, we're in the business of putting on a competition and competition means people can compete."

Overseas television deals will earn the Premier League more than £2bn between 2013 and 2016. The Premier League sold its domestic broadcasting rights to Sky and BT in a record-breaking deal, worth around £3bn, last year.

So the Chief Executive of the Premiership thinks that it harms the League when Manchester United aren't competitive at the top? Wonder if there is any correlation to the dodgy pens, ungiven pens to the opposition, extra added on time and disallowed goals to the opposition, that Manchester United have so regularly benefitted from over the past 20 odd years?

Rafael's biggest issue is this recklessness. It spreads nervousness in the team.

Maybe he could become a great fullback but at the moment you don't look at him and think "solid". All the very best right backs are imo. Lahm, Zabaleta, Alves, Cole etc.

This is the problem in the world, when players like Zabaleta, an out of form Alves and a benched Cole are considered great fullbacks we know there's a shortage of them in the world. I think Rafael is a decent player, but he's just too reckless and he's not as talented as Dani and Marcelo are who both used to be as reckless as Rafael if not worse. Was a time when Marcelo was a hotheaded crazy person on the pitch, unbelievable how he has matured over couple of years and even become 3rd captain for Real.

At the moment for me there's only really two GREAT fullbacks in the world. Lahm and Marcelo (who granted wasn't good against Sevilla, but who is the most technical fullback there is and comfortable on the ball). Alba, Dani, Zabaleta, Rafinha, Alaba, Cole etc. are all very good fullbacks, they're just not great.

So the Chief Executive of the Premiership thinks that it harms the League when Manchester United aren't competitive at the top? Wonder if there is any correlation to the dodgy pens, ungiven pens to the opposition, extra added on time and disallowed goals to the opposition, that Manchester United have so regularly benefitted from over the past 20 odd years?

Came in to post this :thup: There's no way the message/ambition for Man Utd to do well doesn't cascade its way into the details from way on down.

Years of Man Utd fans saying their good 'fortune' was coincidence, luck or refereeing incompetence rather than pre-meditated bias.