Squad & tactics (2023/24)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

2 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

ASM looked isolated against Watford and in the first half against Leeds.  He seemed to play very wide by his standards, didn't get a lot of space and just wasn't really offering much.  When he started drifting infield and getting closer to Wood, I thought he looked really dangerous.  

Fraser plays like an old fashioned winger.  Seems to be really wide and looks to get down the line.  Unfortunately, doesn't seem to get at his man and get a cross in too often.  But as others have alluded to, it's not like we have loads of targets to aim at in the box, or that we get too many chances to do this, the way we have been playing for the last however many years.   

ASM was terrible against Watford bar his goal and he did much of his best work against Leeds in the second half (e.g. squaring ball to Willock in 6 yard box). In the Watford game he lost the ball when he failed to beat his man an awful lot and twice it led to potential goal chance counter attacks. He also doesn't help the LB out at all and Dummett and Joelinton had to cover for him.

ASM's problem is the same as Traore - decision making. It's not that he tries three step overs and fails, it's that he always wants to beat his man and then pass. Sometimes you just need to shift the ball half a yard and then cross - Beckham made an entire career doing that. Problem is, is ASM is he is one footed (Right) and so can't play as a Winger on the left but as an inside forward. If he ever gets to the bye line he can only play weak square balls along the ground or dink it in - both are easy to defend. So as a defender you know he wants to cut in so have to show him the line.

I'm not trying to slag off ASM because he is the most creative player in the team, but I hope he plays more like he did in the second half against Leeds than he usually does. If he wants to learn how to play inside forward he should look at Raphina at Leeds.

However, I agree if there is a LB to support him like Manquilo did against Leeds, we could see the best of ASM and hopefully Targett can do that because Dummett has no offensive output.

ASM has been absolutely knackered this season. Go and look at the clips of him the year before, he just looked sharper and fitter.

He’s still capable of going past anyone but we’re currently only getting an hour out of him playing the way he does in the setup he’s been in.

He’s working harder under Eddie than he ever did for Bruce and it shows.

Right now we need him but when we have other options available we should rest him whenever we can.

Next season is going to be a big one for him and us. (Assuming we stay up..)

now mercato is finish , it was a little disappointing , it lack 2 players  a real central and a middle offenser ( diego carlos and lindgard ) 

but we will finish with this team 

......................... Dubra ..............

Trippier ..... Lascelels....burn .... Lewis or Targett

........... Guimares .............................

wilokk ....................... joelington or Jonjo

ALmiron or Fraser ................................. Maximin 

.......................; wood or wilson 

20220202-224358.jpg

Best Team for me.

I want to see the loan Willock resurrected, stick him up with Wilson and tell the lad to get into the box and cause trouble. Joelinton and Bruno to form a magical Brazilian connection and break up play and use their technical skill to carry the ball forward from deeper positions, Bruno having the all round agility and complete midfield style, and Joelinton tough, strong, consistently improving in the tackles, as he has been, and able to bring the ball up the field to support the attack, ASM to continue to cause mayhem, I'd like to see him cut in less and turn provider a bit more, but equally go for attempts, but much work is needed on his finishing. Trippier/Targett and Fraser to be the main providers of balls into the box and as creative as they can be when not having to tuck in defending. 

As for Schar and Burn just be solid, and feel safer relying on more of the work being done ahead of them because Bruno and big Joe will form an impeccable partnership and give them no worries.

😉👍🏻

On 02/02/2022 at 00:37, midds said:

The idea of one of our CM dropping really deep to get possession needs to fucking stop tbh. Shelvey playing 10 yards in front of our CBs, picking up the ball under no pressure needs to be ditched immediately. Yes he can ping a pass 40 yards but they're all marked tightly so it invariably breaks down and we're quickly under pressure again. 

What we need is a CB to bring the ball out, have options central, left or right, players moving and looking for the ball. It frees up so many players to make runs and gets the opposition thinking. At the moment we're a dream to play against because no fucker takes any chances or moves, letting Schar bring it out and giving him options is like having 2 extra players on the pitch. It relieves 1 player from collecting a 5 yard pass and allows him to move into a position to actually make the other team react. 

It's so fucking simple. Unfortunately it requires dropping Lascelles who can't do it for Schar who can do it. It shifts everything. It moves the play 20 yards up the pitch. It means we're more dangerous. It means we should keep the ball for longer, building better attacks etc. 

We've been soft as puppy shit for so long. Time to step it up and dictate games. We've got the players, fucking do it. 

The idea is that if one of the centre mids drops in like that, the centre halves with him form a kind of triangle allowing the full backs to push up and wider and the wide midfielder/forwards to try and play off their defender to get space wide or hit a gap in the channels.

No.problem with it if you have the calibre of player to do it well, helps dominate position and keep the oppo moving.

4231 relies to much on ASM tracking back. Although it does allow Willock or whoever is player as the CAM much more freedom. I much prefer 433 with the players we have as I still think we are weak in midfield so we need the extra player in there to compensate.

Edited by Mazzy

The following line in The Athletic Transfer questions article is worrying

"Howe is believed to have assessed the final list again, with it appearing to be a straight call between Clark and Federico Fernandez for the last centre-back berth."

Edited by Geordie Ahmed

20 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

"Howe is believed to have assessed the final list again, with it appearing to be a straight call between Clark and Federico Fernandez for the last centre-back berth."

No brainer, unless it's all to do with triggering a contract extension. 

37 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

4231 relies to much on ASM tracking back. Although it does allow Willock or whoever is player as the CAM much more freedom. I much prefer 433 with the players we have as I still think we are weak in midfield so we need the extra player in there to compensate.

It's a good point actually, but I suppose bringing in a more defensive LB would allow you to give ASM some licence.

30 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

It's fucking tragic. 

Ritchie over Lewis as well. 

If Fede is close to full fitness it’s a no brainer. If not then we would need that extra body.

Clark should be nowhere near the first team but the situation is what it is.

In fairness to him, he came on and did ok against Leeds.

Most of his clangers have been early on in games when he’s started.

If Dummett is not injured (is he?), he should be ahead of him for a CB role though so again, hard to make a case for him.

From Chris Waugh in the Athletic:

"The squad is yet to be confirmed, though it is understood Lewis and Ciaran Clark were informed they would not make it, which is why they were told they could go out on loan. Given they have stayed, Howe is believed to have assessed the final list again, with it appearing to be a straight call between Clark and Federico Fernandez for the last centre-back berth. Beyond that, the third to make way could be someone who is injured, which is why Isaac Hayden’s position may be under threat, given he is out until March."

I have a certain amount of sympathy with Howe in terms of the squad limitations, but leaving Fed out for Clark would be madness.

There has to be some reason beyond performances for Fernadez being frozen out for the last few months. First Bruce, then Jones, and now EH. I was thinking maybe his legs have gone, but in that one game he came on for against Norwich, he looked fine. He must be creating trouble behind the scenes.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

From Chris Waugh in the Athletic:

"The squad is yet to be confirmed, though it is understood Lewis and Ciaran Clark were informed they would not make it, which is why they were told they could go out on loan. Given they have stayed, Howe is believed to have assessed the final list again, with it appearing to be a straight call between Clark and Federico Fernandez for the last centre-back berth. Beyond that, the third to make way could be someone who is injured, which is why Isaac Hayden’s position may be under threat, given he is out until March."

I have a certain amount of sympathy with Howe in terms of the squad limitations, but leaving Fed out for Clark would be madness.

Why is Clark being a cunt and refusing to go out on loan being potentially rewarded with a place in the registered squad?

Edited by Sima

Clark, rightly or wrongly, has only been picked ahead of Fede because he’s left-footed. I can only guess that the arrival of Burn and the fact that Dummett is back will mean he gets omitted from the squad.

Edited by McCormick

Was reading Sky Sports' article on our window and I was intrigued by how they set up our team with the new signings; did so in a 4-1-4-1 a la Rodgers' Leicester in 2019-20. Although that's basically 4-3-3 anyway it's still a good thought. Bruno will change that side.

17 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

20220202-224358.jpg

Best Team for me.

I want to see the loan Willock resurrected, stick him up with Wilson and tell the lad to get into the box and cause trouble. Joelinton and Bruno to form a magical Brazilian connection and break up play and use their technical skill to carry the ball forward from deeper positions, Bruno having the all round agility and complete midfield style, and Joelinton tough, strong, consistently improving in the tackles, as he has been, and able to bring the ball up the field to support the attack, ASM to continue to cause mayhem, I'd like to see him cut in less and turn provider a bit more, but equally go for attempts, but much work is needed on his finishing. Trippier/Targett and Fraser to be the main providers of balls into the box and as creative as they can be when not having to tuck in defending. 

As for Schar and Burn just be solid, and feel safer relying on more of the work being done ahead of them because Bruno and big Joe will form an impeccable partnership and give them no worries.

😉👍🏻

Miggy a better 10 than Wilock ? Before he was Bruced