Other clubs' transfers

TBG

Yeah, been impressed every time I've seen him. That's a good old fashioned Wenger spot there. Quietly one of the league's best defenders, weirdly living in the much inferior Musacchio's shadow. Surprised Villarreal are letting him go.

Nah, it's par for the course for them; they need to balance the books with sales. He's only become an important player relatively recently so they probably believe they can take the loss.

There had been rumours of clubs (including NUFC?) getting him for free in the Summer. Not any more: -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30974613

Midfielder Fabian Delph extends his Aston Villa contract

Aston Villa midfielder Fabian Delph has signed a new four-and-a-half year deal with the club.

The 25-year-old England international was out of contract in the summer but will now stay at the Premier League side until at least 2019.

"I am a loyal person and committing my future will hopefully show everybody what type of guy I am," he said.

Delph, who joined Villa from Leeds in 2009, had been linked with moves  to Liverpool, Everton and Tottenham.

He has made 12 league appearances for Villa this season and also made his England debut in the 1-0 friendly win against Norway in August.

"There was no way I was going to bail out. I am here for the long run," added Delph.

"The fans have been the same [with me]. I am sure they will stick with us, help us get through this season and then looking into the future, it looks promising to me."

Villa boss Paul Lambert described keeping Delph at the club as a "massive coup".

"No one expected it," he said. "I think everyone thought Fabian was going to go and we would have to get someone else in. I don't think anyone saw this coming.

"But it's been something we've been trying to do.

"He enjoys his football and being at the club.

"When you get someone like Fabian to have him commit is a massive, massive coup for us."

Good for him. We always bitch and moan about good players on less-than-elite teams being snatched up by the more competitive clubs, and yet here's a pretty good, young (English) player bucking the trend.

Cruzeiro, who have won the Brazilian league two times in a row have just sold both their best players who also were becoming internationals to two poor leagues. Goulart to China for €15m and now Everton Ribeiro (very good little player twice voted best player in Brazilian league) to Al Ahli for €15m as well.

Oh as well as Lucas Silva to Real for close to another €15m. Probably their three best players.

Seems a waste for the first two.

I'm sure some dudes in suits made a few quid though, which is the main thing.

:thup: I get money means a lot, but both of them were being called up by Dunga and are genuinely good footballers in their prime. They've now thrown that away to go to China and Dubai. Same goes for Tardelli who left Atletico MG for China but he's 30 or so and at the end of his career.

Good for him. Better to start for Villa than sit on the bench for whoever was interested.

It is a surprising turn of events. Think he's the loyal type, plus the club spent the first three years he was with us nursing him through horrible injuries.

Not too sure I'd have harnessed my career to the spluttering wreck which is Villa this season (I am reluctant to harness my free time to it, even), but it is nice to see a bit of loyalty when the league is full of Scott Sinclair or Wayne Bridge types.

Brazilian footballer motivated by big money deal rather than making a move based upon their love of the game? This is a first.

:lol: TBF the best usually come to Europe and do well here for couple of years and then get full of that money and decide to party. These guys are just ruining their careers. Fine, they'll earn more now than they probably would in Europe, but I wonder how much money means compared to a call up to the World Cup.