Adam Armstrong

Guest palnese

Guest Gomez

He's 18. As much as the media hype up anything they think they can get away with, not every footballer is Messi or Rooney at that age.

I don't think Perez had even played for Tenerife until he was 20, and that was when they were in the Segunda B. Now he (along with Aarons) is the most promisig prospect we've had Since Carroll... who wasn't great at that age. Kane had four loan spells, hadn't lived up to people's expectations and now he's hot shit and the saviour of English football. Riviere was probably FUCKING AMAZING at 18.

Not saaying he'll be great, but wanting a fully formed goal machine straight out of the test tube is stupid, judge him when he's 21 or 22, anything you get out of any player before then is a bonus.

I'm surprised at some of the negative comments. Given his age he looks like he has loads of potential and a loan move to a Championship club is exactly what he needs. Assuming he gets a run of games of course.

I haven't seen the said potential, but as others have said, maybe he's far too young to be judged yet. I wish him best of luck, I think this loan move could be formative for him and his career.

People who write him off are idiots frankly, let's give the lad some time. It's not uncommon for toon fans to slag off academy lads (who've played under Pardew and Carver) but passionately defend more experienced underachievers (because they've been playing under Pardew and Carver).

• 2 weeks later...