Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Colback looks a tidy player because he does tidy little passes while strolling around the pitch. Tiote is called worse than s*** here but at least he has the balls to carry the ball forward in midfield. That's partly because he's got the legs to do it as well mind. If Colback tried to carry the ball he'd be clattered and dispossessed within a second because he'd be moving like a turtle and the opposition would run him down every time.

Heard it all now. Since when has Tiote carried the ball forward like Colback did against Chelsea - for both his first-half chance and the second goal? Tiote moves in ever decreasing circles, taking a touch or three too many in trying - often unsuccessfully and at the cost of the team - to hold off/beat a man and convince us he is a footballer. 

He didn't carry the ball for the first goal, for the second he picked it up on the break took a couple of paces forward into the empty space before releasing a good pass. He's Nicky Butt reincarnated but a bit slower.

The perception of Colback on here is so scarily similar to Scott Parker it gets more unreal every week

Parker had that excellent first six months before his glandular fever though. Can't say I've seen anything from Colback to suggest he can do that.

Was always going to be difficult fro Colback & Tiote up against a midfield 3, who are better than them anyway. With Ameobi and the Ghost of Gouffran for support out wide however.

Talking of hiding. Time and time again Gouffran & Colback failed to show for the ball and seem to actively avoid being in a passing position.

Colback played the whole game, took all the set-pieces but only attempted 37 passes all game. 37! Gouffran played the whole game and got to the same figure as Ameobi who played for an hour (27). Cabella attempted half the amount of passes Colback did in 25 minutes with 18.

Conversely, Tiote attempted 87 passes. Cazorla 63. Flamini 44. Chamberlain 65.

If you've got half your midfield hiding from the ball. And the only central player aiming to influence the game being Cheick f***ing Tiote - it's going to be bloody awful.

It's a good observation, but I'd say a bit more complicated than that. Tiote naturally sees a lot more of the ball than the others, because of the position he's playing in. Trouble is, his range of passing is limited and his delivery is slow. It's difficult for receivers to know when or where to make a run, given his limitations. Quite a few times, I spotted a decent penetrating pass available to Tiote, but he didn't take it because he didn't trust his technique.

To get more fluency, we need a player who is better on the ball in that position, and I'd now say that Abeid is the better bet, despite the fact that he's not as strong in the tackle.

Tiote is too slow on the ball aye. But that has nothing to do with Colback hiding from the ball. Nothing to do with Gouffran hiding from the ball. Tiote is slow on the ball but that is partly down to only  3 players to the side of him or ahead of him that actually want the ball.

I hate players that hide. My biggest issue with Jermaine Jenas.

I'm sick of Pardew picking this guy ahead of Anita. Poor Vern must be baffled- imagine Colback being picked to play in an Ajax, Feyenoord, or PSV side? Laughable.

Sad thing is that the majority of the going-crowd are in love with this guy, as they are with Pardew.

Anita regularly looks less effective than Colback when given an outing.

He's not given enough time. He's also not in a system that suits him. In Ajax they obviously value possession of the ball and possess CB's comfortable on the ball to distribute it into a CM who drops in to collect the ball- this has never been possible with Williamson playing behind him. For example, in the derby last year all we did was launch it up to Shola, non-stop. This rendered players like Anita and Ben Arfa totally useless. He's a very clever player and technically excellent. I was talking to one of the strength & conditioning coaches at the club last year and he said he thought Anita was the most athletic player in the side. I find that surprising but even more so that that doesn't work in his favor considering Pardew's values in a player.

Sassy. It's not a particularly bold opinion tbh. Anita is normally massively underwhelming.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/frank-de-boer-backs-vurnon-1369506

Find me a similar article showing the importance Colback had on a renowned European side. Being praised by a former Ajax and Barcelona legend please.

Anita hasn't turned out the way I personally hoped. But his pass and move style of football atleast brings some fluidity to our midfield, other players can bounce passes off him and know they always have an outlet. On the other hand, Colback is a mediocre jack of all trades, literally. He does nothing well, he is just average at keeping it neat, running around, with the occasional tackle.

Anita clearly has something about him, he just can't show it in this system under Pardew, and to believe Colback is a superior option is nothing short of moronic.

Colback looks a tidy player because he does tidy little passes while strolling around the pitch. Tiote is called worse than s*** here but at least he has the balls to carry the ball forward in midfield. That's partly because he's got the legs to do it as well mind. If Colback tried to carry the ball he'd be clattered and dispossessed within a second because he'd be moving like a turtle and the opposition would run him down every time.

Heard it all now. Since when has Tiote carried the ball forward like Colback did against Chelsea - for both his first-half chance and the second goal? Tiote moves in ever decreasing circles, taking a touch or three too many in trying - often unsuccessfully and at the cost of the team - to hold off/beat a man and convince us he is a footballer. 

He didn't carry the ball for the first goal, for the second he picked it up on the break took a couple of paces forward into the empty space before releasing a good pass. He's Nicky Butt reincarnated but a bit slower.

Ironically, Colback's derby goal did for your Tiote theory. Had time and loads of room to take the ball forward,  bottled it with a nothing (but characteristic) square pass and that was that.

Anita regularly looks less effective than Colback when given an outing.

He's not given enough time. He's also not in a system that suits him. In Ajax they obviously value possession of the ball and possess CB's comfortable on the ball to distribute it into a CM who drops in to collect the ball- this has never been possible with Williamson playing behind him. For example, in the derby last year all we did was launch it up to Shola, non-stop. This rendered players like Anita and Ben Arfa totally useless. He's a very clever player and technically excellent. I was talking to one of the strength & conditioning coaches at the club last year and he said he thought Anita was the most athletic player in the side. I find that surprising but even more so that that doesn't work in his favor considering Pardew's values in a player.

At Ajax he was up against average players every week and playing in team that dominated their matches. He's never going to get the same time and space on the ball over here as he did in Holland and that's something he's struggled with badly. Wouldn't have him anywhere near the starting XI on Sunday.

Anyone even contemplating the idea of Colback being 'better' or 'more effective' than Anita needs to ask themselves why they watch football in the first place. Anita is not even in the same league, he's a cultured, technically gifted, intelligent midfielder who, surprise, surprise, lacks 'graft' in the middle, was misused and eventually dropped for one of Pardew's prodigal sons who gave him a boner when he shushed him in the last derby.

Anyone even contemplating the idea of Colback being 'better' or 'more effective' than Anita needs to ask themselves why they watch football in the first place. Anita is not even in the same league, he's a cultured, technically gifted, intelligent midfielder who, surprise, surprise, lacks 'graft' in the middle, was misused and eventually dropped for one of Pardew's prodigal sons who gave him a boner when he shushed him in the last derby.

No he isn't.

He's a crock of shit used to playing in a crock of shit pub league where Luuk De Jong can score a 41 minute hat trick.