Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

You'd want to hope so considering he played over 1000 minutes more.

He cost 12m less in euros anarl mind though, and lets not ignore one is basically an attacking player who was an absolute streak of piss who helped gain us how many points again in his role?

His stats are better than Matic over the course of the season...........

That isn't quite correct but not far off...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/11447225/Revealed-the-Premier-Leagues-fittest-player.html

Running around a lot isn't any indication of whether somebody is good :lol:

Well by the same token it seems it doesnt do Matic any harm and most would love him here...

Rather have George Boyd. :fwap:

Ha ha Wullie. You are now cracking jokes these days. As others have said, and I agree with, Colback gets unwarranted criticism here. There are much worse players on our books. This people  ;D

He's the second worst player (after Williamson) that has been a guaranteed starter when available.

Really howay man.

Krul, Janmaat, Willo, Colo, Dummett, Colback, Sissoko, Cissé. Tell me which of the others he was better than.

The captain? Krul was s**** too try kicking the ball in play sonna or an assist to the other team. Where is Tiote too? Oh to busy in a fettle calling us s***

It's a toss up between Colo and Colback. And I'll admit I just simply forgot about Tiote, easily done tbh.

No Cabella or Rivierre or the other absente striker on the books who was Colos mate?

Neither were hardly guaranteed starts whenever they were fit now, where they?

Cabella was shite overall. How does that completely separate opinion mean that Colback isn't rubbish?

Also his first season in England, hardly the first player to have struggled. This is of course made worse when considering the confident boost of getting benched every other game and being told to work harder when everyone could see that he was already working more than hard enough for an attacking midfielder.

Cabella was s**** overall. How does that completely separate opinion mean that Colback isn't rubbish?

Dave, the people in the game must recogise something. That statement above signifies (to me) that you ignore the fact he gave a shit when the owner, the MD, the former manager, the captain and all the players who didn't turn out when needed and he did.

Was he signed as a certain starter, who knows, but he played regardless and gave a fuck so I stand by what I said earlier.

Rubbish hcan be defined by many things in football but he woud be on that sheet ahead of a lot of the others for me.

If Colback was trying to play out of his skin for us then that's even worse.

Jonas is the only player who put in an effective 'grafting' performance for like 3 games at the end. Mainly because his type of graft is actually relevant - as it was in the season we finished 5th.

He's an average player (fine in a lower than 13th relegation fighter, ok squad but not starter for anything more) who had a decent season in terms of performances.

The level of 'hate' for him is overboard if it's based purely on his performances, rather than the quality of who he replaced, or if you think he represents  Ashley's Newcastle manifest and that's his fault so you hate him or whatever. Bet this is one of the most posted in of the players' topics this season.

And obviously there's the odd daftie who goes too far the other way ('good enough for anyone outside the top 4').

What stats?

these ones, someone showed me them yesterday

http://www.squawka.com/players/nemanja-matic/stats#performance-score#chelsea-(current)#english-barclays-premier-league#8#season-2014/2015#126#all-matches#1-38#cumulative

http://www.squawka.com/players/jack-colback/stats#performance-score#newcastle-united-(current)#english-barclays-premier-league#8#season-2014/2015#126#all-matches#1-38#cumulative

What stats?

these ones, someone showed me them yesterday

http://www.squawka.com/players/nemanja-matic/stats#performance-score#chelsea-(current)#english-barclays-premier-league#8#season-2014/2015#126#all-matches#1-38#cumulative

http://www.squawka.com/players/jack-colback/stats#performance-score#newcastle-united-(current)#english-barclays-premier-league#8#season-2014/2015#126#all-matches#1-38#cumulative

His score is also higher than Juan Mata's. I know who I'd much rather have...

As I posted a few days back - he runs around a bit and gets involved in safe areas, so of course his stats look good. Stands to reason that a pass completion rate will be higher for 5 yard passes then it would be for 50 yard passes.

Colback's problem is that he doesn't affect games enough, he's never looking to get in behind a striker to support, he's never pulling the strings in front of the back four and he's never making dangerous passes. There have been glimpses of ability, but not enough to suggest he can improve much - and players like Colback in the midfield are the makeup of bottom half teams.

Now look at Cabella, yes he's been very disappointing but he has showed more in terms of ability and potential than Colback so I'll give him more slack - for one more year!

I'd love Colback to improve next season and show that he can be a key part of a midfield in the upper half of the Premier League, but I just don't see where that will come from.

There's a chance he could be coached to use his decent ability in better areas.

I wonder whether his stamina is suspect or he just doesn't know how to position himself defensively, but he disappears out of the game far too easily in second halves.

There's a chance he could be coached to use his decent ability in better areas.

I wonder whether his stamina is suspect or he just doesn't know how to position himself defensively, but he disappears out of the game far too easily in second halves.

He's just not an athlete, no amount of coaching can change that. He's already quite clever with the ball, if a bit safe, the problem is he doesn't see enough of the ball if the opposition have midfielders with more pace and better engines.

The hiding part concerns me the most. He has a bit of aggression and tracking-back about him that people like Pards love so much, but he does it once every few games. And for majority of games you don't even realise he's on the pitch.

• 2 weeks later...