Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He's been a mackem for 14 years and even though he supported us as a kid his allegiance must have changed a bit during that time, surely?

for me it's less this than the fact footballers are as thick as shit and operate in a total vacuum of their own egos (even at the colback level and considerably below)...he'll just have been carried away and not thought of the consequences in the moment

i'll never like the lad but for me it's little more than that

Fair play to you mojo for mustering up enough of a fuck to give your opinion.

I find it hard to believe what Wullie is saying is contentious.

Obviously if he plays well gets his head down and is humble then people may well consider their views on him. That hasn't happened yet.

It's not that it's contentious, it's just that he was representing Sunderland and as such you could argue that anything he does should be understood in that context. Just a different angle on it, ye kna.

I'd be borderline amazed if anyone was understanding in any other context tbh.

If I thought he actively hated us I might be inclined to give a fuck, but in that case I doubt he'd have signed a deal to play for us. Far too much being made over some daft antics caught on camera when he was a Sunderland player. I'm fairly sure he'll be 100% committed to us now so that's not really an issue for me and never has been. I thought he was one of Sunderland's better players anyway, but whether he's good enough to improve us remains to be seen.

He's been a mackem for 14 years and even though he supported us as a kid his allegiance must have changed a bit during that time, surely?

for me it's less this than the fact footballers are as thick as shit and operate in a total vacuum of their own egos (even at the colback level and considerably below)...he'll just have been carried away and not thought of the consequences in the moment

i'll never like the lad but for me it's little more than that

Fair play to you mojo for mustering up enough of a fuck to give your opinion.

perhaps my first post wasn't clear, i suppose i mean give enough of a fuck to get angry/happy about it...having an opinion isn't really a big deal lets be honest

If I thought he actively hated us I might be inclined to give a fuck, but in that case I doubt he'd have signed a deal to play for us. Far too much being made over some daft antics caught on camera when he was a Sunderland player. I'm fairly sure he'll be 100% committed to us now so that's not really an issue for me and never has been. I thought he was one of Sunderland's better players anyway, but whether he's good enough to improve us remains to be seen.

:thup:

:thup:

Same feelings really. I want better signings but that's nothing to do with Colback.

Unless it really, really meant something special to me or was a cup final et. al, I just couldn't celebrate against a team I (allegedly) support. He might have been brought up watching Newcastle or in a Newcastle family, but they - Sunderland - have given him his footballing education, coaching, and first team chances. They are the ones who have paid him to be a premier league footballer until this point, not us. Who knows, maybe he went for a trial here, got binned off and was bitter about it ever since. He can say whatever he likes (And probably more importantly, what's been scripted for him) to NUFC:TV or whatever that s*** amateur club video production team are called, for me it changes nothing. His bread is buttered on Wearside as far as I'm concerned.

He'll have no problems coming to the biggest team in the North East, charmed by Pardews bullshit and I'm willing to bet a whole lot more than he was getting down there. This ginger fuckwit is perfect for Pardew - he gets to stay close to home, run around doing the basics on the football pitch and when we hit the 40 point mark will have no gripe, complaints or fuss if we decide to sack the rest of the season off once safety has been achieved.

If he always harboured hopes of playing for us then why do those gestures at all? If you look at the way he binned Sunderland off to join us (judging by their statement) it seems like he always wanted to join us one day. He's now made life much harder for himself as he'll be under the microscope so much more and every little mistake will be magnified 100 times.

If he was a great player it probably would get swept under the carpet but he's a 'ten a penny' kind of player.

There is a big difference between celebrating a goal/win and actively going out of your way to goad the opposition fans like.

This is what I'm talking about. Fuck this little shit, another pointless fucking signing and a middle finger to people who support this club.

There is a big difference between celebrating a goal/win and actively going out of your way to goad the opposition fans like.

The goading and the pictures are a big deal - sure on the pitch celebrate a goal - but you don't take the piss behind closed doors of the supposed club you've loved your whole life.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Football fans are so easily upset when a player makes a daft gesture during a match , and to be honest the shush  sign was a a bit tame not to say predictable. Lots of players do it they aren't the most original of thinkers, bless their empty little heads.   

The guy has been goaded for years by his friends at school and others. At school he was a Newcastle fan, went to a fair few games (him and his friends invited me to go with them to the Chelsea FA Cup match when Kluivert scored the winner). He always got stick for playing for Sunderland, he always got asked why he didn't play for us and his story was always that he had a trail for us but Newcastle never took up the opportunity to sign him. One time he came in with his Sunderland shirt on just to wind his friends up, always has been a Newcastle a fan though.

Sunderland brought him up in the footballing world, the time when he has celebrated and when he did the gesture to me is just to wind his friends up, nothing more. it's funny how no one mentions that when Newcastle have scored the winner against Sunderland he didn't have a disappointed reaction like his teammates.

After he left school he was dating one my old bosses daughters, my boss was a Sunderland fan and Jack used to wind him up about how Sunderland had get Geordie's to play for them because people from Sunderland couldn't play football.

Having known him I know that he really is a Newcastle fan, fair enough in my mind he isn't good enough for the first team squad, but he's good enough for the squad and I know this is the move he has always really wanted and I know that back in school he was one of the canny lads, always down to earth and never got carried away with himself, always tried his best at school and had a good level of knowledge about football. Because of this I wish him the very best and I hope he goes on to prove a lot of people wrong because a lot of people are judging him harshly without really giving him a chance.

The guy has been goaded for years by his friends at school and others. At school he was a Newcastle fan, went to a fair few games (him and his friends invited me to go with them to the Chelsea FA Cup match when Kluivert scored the winner). He always got stick for playing for Sunderland, he always got asked why he didn't play for us and his story was always that he had a trail for us but Newcastle never took up the opportunity to sign him. One time he came in with his Sunderland shirt on just to wind his friends up, always has been a Newcastle a fan though.

Sunderland brought him up in the footballing world, the time when he has celebrated and when he did the gesture to me is just to wind his friends up, nothing more. it's funny how no one mentions that when Newcastle have scored the winner against Sunderland he didn't have a disappointed reaction like his teammates.

After he left school he was dating one my old bosses daughters, my boss was a Sunderland fan and Jack used to wind him up about how Sunderland had get Geordie's to play for them because people from Sunderland couldn't play football.

Having known him I know that he really is a Newcastle fan, fair enough in my mind he isn't good enough for the first team squad, but he's good enough for the squad and I know this is the move he has always really wanted and I know that back in school he was one of the canny lads, always down to earth and never got carried away with himself, always tried his best at school and had a good level of knowledge about football. Because of this I wish him the very best and I hope he goes on to prove a lot of people wrong because a lot of people are judging him harshly without really giving him a chance.

Look at me! Look at me! Im friends with Jack Colback! .....................................pathetic :p

Sunderland brought him up in the footballing world, the time when he has celebrated and when he did the gesture to me is just to wind his friends up, nothing more.

:lol: He must be very, very thick then, if he didn't think NUFC supporters outside his group of friends would see it as a wind-up.  Especially if he's always wanted to play for us.

Hmmm ... see I could see him doing that to wind his friends up, and being turned down by Newcastle, its clear he never thought he'd have a chance to play for the club. It still wasn't smart for him to do what he did.

I don't know. Just typical young man behaviour really. He just needs to get his head down and play his best really. Find it hard to be too mad at him. I think maybe it's because those Sunderland trouncings made Pardew look the oaf that he is.

All my rage is being spent on Pardew. I have no more left to dish out. Well, except towards Shola who is still managing to ruin my life.

Look at me! Look at me! Im friends with Jack Colback! .....................................pathetic :p

Knew him at school, don't think he would recognise me now.

Knew him at school, don't think he would recognise me now.

just winding you up :) tbh i feel nothing about the signing. Decent squad player, but if he is starting more than 10 games we are in for a rough season.

If he always harboured hopes of playing for us then why do those gestures at all? If you look at the way he binned Sunderland off to join us (judging by their statement) it seems like he always wanted to join us one day. He's now made life much harder for himself as he'll be under the microscope so much more and every little mistake will be magnified 100 times.

If he was a great player it probably would get swept under the carpet but he's a 'ten a penny' kind of player.

He probably though he had no chance of ever playing for us because he knows he's not good enough and never will be, so he tried to gain favour with the mackems by pissing us off. He'll have known that we haven't signed a sunderland player in 20+ years because we've always had the best team and haven't needed to degrade ourselves by going to our biggest rivals for players, like they have with us quite a few times.

But then Pardew happened.