Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

If hba was so bad defensively, I'd love to see actual evidence of the goals that we conceded that were his fault. I genuinely can't think of many, yet certain people like to make out as if he was some defensive liability.

His failure to track back led to 2 goals at home to Hull where we should have been 3 or 4 up inside 20 minutes. His tracking back was an issue and teammates do not like others not pulling their weight (as they see it) no matter how good they are.

In his last season where he was picked (usually as sub) he was thrown on when we were chasing games or started against sides where his weaknesses would be shown, Southampton away being a good example.

Ultimately he wasn't professional enough.

I really want to argue but don't have nearly the energy. :lol: He had his flaws but should've been the first name on the teamsheet, in an attacking role, every week - because he was a matchwinner. His professionalism or will to win never seemed below 100% when he was on the pitch, even if he did make errors. He was the least of our worries but Pardew scapegoated him.

The thing that strikes me is that I think of Ben Arfa as a very passionate player, but one with a brittle mentality. Man manage him well and he would probably walk through fire for you, man manage him badly and he would just give up, as churlish as that behaviour is. The club full well knew this to be the case when they bought him (we wouldn't have been able to if he wasn't damaged goods mentally), which makes it even more frustrating that we put a Neanderthal in charge of managing him and a number of other highly talented players over the past few years.

The thing that strikes me is that I think of Ben Arfa as a very passionate player, but one with a brittle mentality. Man manage him well and he would probably walk through fire for you, man manage him badly and he would just give up, as churlish as that behaviour is. The club full well knew this to be the case when they bought him (we wouldn't have been able to if he wasn't damaged goods mentally), which makes it even more frustrating that we put a Neanderthal in charge of managing him and a number of other highly talented players over the past few years.

Until the last season Pardew did a good job keeping him going, but ultimately ran out of patience and found it easy to sacrifice hba when colo put the pressure on him to do so.

The reason hba isn't at this club isn't down to Pardew, just like cabaye hba didn't really have too many bad things to say about him.

Until the last season Pardew did a good job keeping him going, but ultimately ran out of patience and found it easy to sacrifice hba when colo put the pressure on him to do so.

The reason hba isn't at this club isn't down to Pardew, just like cabaye hba didn't really have too many bad things to say about him.

He probably didn't want to have a go at Pardew because he just thought it would look bitter and instead just wanted to move on.  I saw with my own eyes how badly he was treated on the pitch and Pardew absolutely did have a big part to play in him going.

Without knowing what went on behind the scenes I still feel Pardew should have played him a damn sight more, and certainly not subbed him anywhere near as ofter as he did (that hurt like hell). That said, in terms of man management, I think that's not an unfair assessment.

Hatem Ben Arfa's apparent weight issues shown during a recent friendly match have been explained away by Nice. (1/2)

Get French Football ‏@GFN_France 7m7 minutes ago

The player wore a data tracker to measure fitness levels during the match, making it seem like he had a large stomach. (2/2) (Nice Matin)

Get French Football ‏@GFN_France 4m4 minutes ago

The Nice Matin article uses this photo to validate their claims that Hatem Ben Arfa does not have a weight problem:

CJyc8kHWEAAOJfK.jpg:large

Just watched a load of youtube videos on him. Really just hit me, I'm not sure I will never see a talent like that again, was incredibly lucky to see him live a couple of times, specially the shitty blackburn game where one wondrous piece of skill made 52.000 people rant about 10 seconds of football for weeks (ever)!

Boo hoo hoo...

Just watched a load of youtube videos on him. Really just hit me, I'm not sure I will never see a talent like that again, was incredibly lucky to see him live a couple of times, specially the shitty blackburn game where one wondrous piece of skill made 52.000 people rant about 10 seconds of football for weeks (ever)!

Boo hoo hoo...

:thup:

After I jacked in my season ticket, the home game against Bolton was one of the only I have been to since. THAT goal makes me shiver when I think about sitting in the Gallowgate watching him come flying through the centre of the pitch. Love the fat little bastard me :lol:

When he scored that goal I went ballistic in the pub and cleared me fatha's pint all over him, he was ready to fucking lamp me all over and then he seen the replay and started jumping up and down close to tears. :lol:

That goal versus Bolton...by god, that little turn he made, that extra touch to skin 2nd guy, the touch again to bait the CB, then the little flick over the fucking guys leg to just place it...He was sensational man.