Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

Elliot is overweight imo. without a shadow of a doubt.

This is the worst bit for me, the hypocrisy of Pardew with one of his hoop lickers, The Blob, carrying far too much timber being allowed a free pass. If HBA took it to tribunal there's surely a case for descrimination there.

Does a keeper really need to be as slim as a pacey, tricky winger though?

Not that I'm defending Pardew or the club but perhaps there are different weight requirements for certain positions.

Doesn't really matter because HBA clearly isn't overweight anyway.

A keeper needs to be nimble, quick on his feet and able to get low, fast. So maybe not AS strict however still needs to be in shape and by shape I don't mean round.

Guest reefatoon

Do players not have a measurement set and a set weight they can't go above? I am sure players are told before they go off for preseason that they have to stick under a certain weight etc for when they return, something that the physio's/dietitian/medics will all be involved in. I can't see it just being Pardew having a look at him and saying (you look fat, I'm fining you, you tubby b******).  He probably did turn up over his allocated weight limit.  Judging by the photo though, he seems to be in good shape now.

Do players not have a measurement set and a set weight they can't go above? I am sure players are told before they go off for preseason that they have to stick under a certain weight etc for when they return, something that the physio's/dietitian/medics will all be involved in. I can't see it just being Pardew having a look at him and saying (you look fat, I'm fining you, you tubby b******).  He probably did turn up over his allocated weight limit.  Judging by the photo though, he seems to be in good shape now.

Exactly. It will have been a scientific weight test of his fat and muscle.

You'd still want your keeper to be in good shape. Elliot is in awful shape for a pro footballer.

I can't see a future here for HBA even if he does lose the weight and gets himself in shape. He just doesn't fit in with Pardew's idealistic view of a Premiership team that keeps clean sheets regularly and views goals as something to defend, no matter what time of the match.

You'd still want your keeper to be in good shape. Elliot is in awful shape for a pro footballer.

I can't see a future here for HBA even if he does lose the weight and gets himself in shape. He just doesn't fit in with Pardew's idealistic view of a Premiership team that keeps clean sheets regularly and views goals as something to defend, no matter what time of the match.

Pardews ruined Gouffran's natural game and dropped HBA because he won't play residual right back, I fear for Cabella unless he has the stamina of a horse.

Pardews ruined Gouffran's natural game and dropped HBA because he won't play residual right back, I fear for Cabella unless he has the stamina of a horse.

Pardew doesn't seem to realise that if you let your winger be a winger, then the opposition then have to worry about dropping their man in midfield back for cover. But we plan that way from the start of most games. It's frustrating. It's totally brain dead management.

Are there any pictures around of Elliot looking in awful shape? Can't say I've really ever paid attention to him but he always just looked in normal shape to me.

Not that it takes anything away from him being a slimy fucker, though.

Guest bimpy474

So many armchair strength and conditioning coaches :lol:

A load of porky unfit pillocks (including me) telling Hatem he's unfit and know exactly why and exactly what he's thinking :lol:

Guest Haris Vuckic

So many armchair strength and conditioning coaches :lol:

Plenty armchair Peter Taylor's too...

:thup:

The way Elliot dived (belly flop more like) yesterday and at the end of last season, he would have been expected to get rid of his excess baggage and get  into better shape.

Funny how Nolan's weight issues were never a problem.

Yep - I would say that Nolan was a fair bit more overweight than HBA.

I'd also say that Nolan's weight issues were often discussed and criticised on here.

Are there any pictures around of Elliot looking in awful shape? Can't say I've really ever paid attention to him but he always just looked in normal shape to me.

Petre Shilton always looked tubby and it didn't stop him being a good keeper.

Funny how Nolan's weight issues were never a problem.

Yep - I would say that Nolan was a fair bit more overweight than HBA.

I'd also say that Nolan's weight issues were often discussed and criticised on here.

They were, like all of the time :lol:

Petre Shilton always looked tubby and it didn't stop him being a good keeper.

Elliott has a hell of a way to go to beat off Neville Southall to the fat keeper crown.

Not even sure he's less dainty than a Mike Hooper to be fair to the lad.