Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

“He has forced his way into my team. When I first came, I didn’t know a lot about him. There were other players in a similar position who I knew a lot more about. Ayoze had limited opportunities in pre-season but he stuck at it, kept going and forced his way into things.”

That'll be why Obertan started the season instead then. :thup:

:anguish:

Guest neesy111

“He has forced his way into my team. When I first came, I didn’t know a lot about him. There were other players in a similar position who I knew a lot more about. Ayoze had limited opportunities in pre-season but he stuck at it, kept going and forced his way into things.”

That'll be why Obertan started the season instead then. :thup:

:anguish:

Jesus wept man.  Basically mcclaren came in fixed ideas for the squad.

So any NUFC fan with any sense who watched our games knew he was our best player and it took McClaren a few months to catch up.  Nice one.

You'd have thought he might at least have watched last seasons matches to guage what the players were up to. Given his level of cluelessness about Perez I can only assume he didn't bother his arse, which is a great start [emoji38]

I would like to think when he got the job that he watched loads of our games from last season but obviously not

I thought the same. Quite pathetic to go by reputations instead of investigating from available footage. Surely even in training he runs rings round everyone else.

Has Schteve been on ket?!

“It’s taken Ayoze a while to get going this season but he’s certainly become an important player. I look at him, though, and he’s still got a long way to go. The potential is massive but there’s a lot to do. He’s got to do it consistently, every game, for 95 minutes. That’s what we’re asking.”

As long as he's starting him yeah sure egg him on to push himself to be better, don't want him to feel he's done enough and nothing to get better at. Personally I don't think it's his effort over the full 90 mins, it's more just getting more ruthless, not wasting all the trickery when he's too far away from goal for it to count, making sure he punishes the defense every time they lose him.

Can't see what McClaren has said wrong there. He has acknowledged Perez's importance but believes he can get even better so is challenging him to do so.

Aye. Bit rich coming from someone who picked Obertan over him to start with like. :lol:

McClaren's done absolutely nowt wrong with Perez, man. He was still trying to work out the balance of the whole side earlier on, and went with the orthodox winger in Obertan. Atm I think he's got Perez, along with the rest of the front four, in a good shape. We will of course remain completely shackled by the limited options at centre-midfield.

Obertan is never worth a chance.

Exactly. McClaren should have done his homework before leaving our best player on the bench in favour of one of our worst.

Obertan is never worth a chance.

Exactly. McClaren should have done his homework before leaving our best player on the bench in favour of one of our worst.

Perez best position in the opening game was taken up by Wijnaldum, who also has the same best position, albeit different types of players.

The £15m new signing was always getting in ahead of Perez first game and Perez has shown both his worth and character in shifting Wijnaldum from that position.

Obertan is a red herring.