Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

• 3 weeks later...

Where do we think his best position is? Definitely not a lone striker.

We're calling his type a "Second Striker" nowadays aren't we?

Yeah, that.  Someone else up top, with Ayoze free to roam a bit more behind them.  Problem is, we have Cisse and Riviere as options.  The former will get you goals now and then, but isn't very good up top on his own IMO.  The latter seems to be half decent at holding it up and making the right runs.  He's just less of a goal threat than Shola. 

He's a bit like Rooney, in that he can do a decent job in any attacking position, wide or central, forward or withdrawn.

At the moment, I'd keep playing him as lead striker, because that's where he's most needed. Ultimately, where you play him really depends on who else we have around. I could see him doing well with a similar player, like the partnership that Yorke and Cole once had. That might well be better than playing him around a big centre forward.

In assessing him, you just have to ignore his physique. He's far stronger than he looks.

In a perfect world you have Ayoze, De Jong, and Cabella in an interchangble front 3 in advanced positions finding space and time to either feed eachother or Cisse. Moussa showed some really good positional discipline v Hull ( i know it was Hull ). And I think he's got that in his locker. When he breaks forward on the counter, we have Abeid holding back who has the pace and strength to cover if we get overexposed. ( i hope)

• 1 month later...

How did he play yesterday? Did he look fresh? What position

Was beyond isolated in the first half; second half he was involved and linked well with Cabella and Sissoko. Couple of decent efforts, had Arsenal worried.

• 4 weeks later...

Not even bothered that he's not scored since December, he's achieved more this season that I had hoped

Apart from the header last night and the Sunderland volley, I can barely remember us creating a chance for him since he last scored either.

Not even bothered that he's not scored since December, he's achieved more this season that I had hoped

Apart from the header last night and the Sunderland volley, I can barely remember us creating a chance for him since he last scored either.

It's partly his fault. He's useless with his back to goal, he can rarely bring others into play. That's not his fault, he looks like a second striker to me or a #10. But he can't play the CF role properly yet and it's contributing to his lack of chances.

Unfortunately, he's only marginally inferior to Riviere at that part of the game and leaps ahead in everything else.

You don't just create chances for a striker up front by himself easily. He often has to contribute to the build-up.

It's partly his fault. He's useless with his back to goal, he can rarely bring others into play. That's not his fault, he looks like a second striker to me or a #10. But he can't play the CF role properly yet and it's contributing to his lack of chances.

Unfortunately, he's only marginally inferior to Riviere at that part of the game and leaps ahead in everything else.

You don't just create chances for a striker up front by himself easily. He often has to contribute to the build-up.

Eh? that's complete nonsense. You've just said he looks like a number ten, but he can rarely bring others into play.  He's no good with the ball hoofed at him, no. He's absolutely fine with it at his feet.

You would expect a striker to be bring others into play often with his back to goal being pressured by a defender. Whether it's feet, chest or head. He's not really good at any of those with his back to goal. He's great at bringing others into play when facing goal that's why I say he's a #10. Even a small lad like Sergio Aguero is great at fending off defenders and dealing with balls chest height. And even he is often played alongside a striker that can do all 3.

I want Perez facing goal at all times. AM, second striker of a two or wide imo. He doesn't have that blistering pace to be off the shoulder either.