The other games today - 2014/15

Trumpet

I don't get teams like Hull throwing the EL, like they did in the first leg. I mean, I understand UEFA itself shits on this competition, but a team like Hull won't have many chances of having European nights. You gotta give something to your fans.

The attitude of English football towards that competition absolutely stinks.

Some potentially interesting groups in EL tomorrow.

Hull had the chance to be grouped with 3 former European giants in Inter Milan, Monchengladbach and Partizan Belgrade, but threw it away to focus on a 3PM kick off vs. Burnley.

Inter, Wolfsburg, Everton, Krasnodar looks like the toughest possible group.

Would also love to see Copenhagen, Celtic, Legia, HJK

Some potentially interesting groups in EL tomorrow.

Hull had the chance to be grouped with 3 former European giants in Inter Milan, Monchengladbach and Partizan Belgrade, but threw it away to focus on a 3PM kick off vs. Burnley.

Inter, Wolfsburg, Everton, Krasnodar looks like the toughest possible group.

Would also love to see Copenhagen, Celtic, Legia, HJK

I think we should be looking to beat a decent amount of the teams in Pot 1, tbf. Unlucky to have just fallen into Pot 3. Potential for some decent games though.

Legia Warsaw tonight

BwJcoaVIcAAFuCI.jpg:large

It's embarrassing when clubs in England deem themselves as having the best fans of the world when others do things like this, things we can only dream of.

f***ing statement or what.

http://i.imgur.com/HXBleR6.jpg

:okay:

:spit:

Yeah but their banner was fire proofed... :whistle:

Legia Warsaw tonight

BwJcoaVIcAAFuCI.jpg:large

It's embarrassing when clubs in England deem themselves as having the best fans of the world when others do things like this, things we can only dream of.

Fucking statement or what.

http://i.imgur.com/HXBleR6.jpg

:okay:

In all fairness, Newcastle's effort was handicapped by having tens of thousands of morons for fans waving at Pardew and calling HBA a lazy flair player, while I imagine all of Warsaw's fans were all pulling in the same direction.

I don't get teams like Hull throwing the EL, like they did in the first leg. I mean, I understand UEFA itself shits on this competition, but a team like Hull won't have many chances of having European nights. You gotta give something to your fans.

I sort of get it, to be honest.

It is the very fact that UEFA took a perfectly decent competition like the UEFA Cup, and butchered it, producing this absolute joke of a format.

Now, maybe I am different on this because I can remember watching my club play in, and win, the European Cup (*obligatory mention*) so am tainted by this, but when we played in the final format of the UEFA Cup and then the EL under O'Neill, it had just been reduced to such a parody that it became boring.

It started too early - I remember sitting in blazing July sunshine, watching us play Odense, and seemed to drag on forever, pointless fecking group matches against the likes of Mentalist Kharkiv or FC Boobtube of Slovenia.

It just went on and on and on, and excited nobody.

UEFA created that format thinking they'd have a television oriented second tier competition to cream it in from, but what they got was something that so few people wanted to see on telly, Channel 5 won the rights. Channel 5 don't win the rights to anything other than Big Brother and Home and Away.

The excitement of potential European glory should be there for the likes of Hull, you're definitely right there, but if you look at the way they treat the competition, I honestly think it is down to UEFA butchering it in the first place.

Incidentally, do Celtic now drop into the Europa League, effectively getting a third chance at European glory? How can you take that seriously?

It is the very fact that UEFA took a perfectly decent competition like the UEFA Cup, and butchered it, producing this absolute joke of a format.

Now, maybe I am different on this because I can remember watching my club play in, and win, the European Cup (*obligatory mention*) so am tainted by this, but when we played in the final format of the UEFA Cup and then the EL under O'Neill, it had just been reduced to such a parody that it became boring.

It started too early - I remember sitting in blazing July sunshine, watching us play Odense, and seemed to drag on forever, pointless fecking group matches against the likes of Mentalist Kharkiv or FC Boobtube of Slovenia.

UEFA created that format thinking they'd have a television oriented second tier competition to cream it in from, but what they got was something that so few people wanted to see on telly, Channel 5 won the rights. Channel 5 don't win the rights to anything other than Big Brother and Home and Away.

The excitement of potential European glory should be there for the likes of Hull, you're definitely right there, but if you look at the way they treat the competition, I honestly think it is down to UEFA butchering it in the first place.

Incidentally, do Celtic now drop into the Europa League, effectively getting a third chance at European glory? How can you take that seriously?

Yep, although they would have dropped down to the Europa anyway, even if the result against Legia stood.

Legia actually went though to the group stages today, I hope they draw and beat Celtic. It would be hilarious.

tend to agree with most of that with one additional bit is the fact champions league losers get into it, why? They lose and get rewarded with a spot in the europa league? Am I supposed to take this thing seriously when UEFA are all but calling it the losers tournament? It has no merit of its own its just champions league lite for those not good enough to get into the real tournament.

I don't get teams like Hull throwing the EL, like they did in the first leg. I mean, I understand UEFA itself s***s on this competition, but a team like Hull won't have many chances of having European nights. You gotta give something to your fans.

tend to agree with most of that with one additional bit is the fact champions league losers get into it, why? They lose and get rewarded with a spot in the europa league? Am I supposed to take this thing seriously when UEFA are all but calling it the losers tournament? It has no merit of its own its just champions league lite for those not good enough to get into the real tournament.

I really don't get this complaint. The tournament exists explicitly as one for teams not good enough for the Champions League.

I don't get teams like Hull throwing the EL, like they did in the first leg. I mean, I understand UEFA itself s***s on this competition, but a team like Hull won't have many chances of having European nights. You gotta give something to your fans.

I really don't get this complaint. The tournament exists explicitly as one for teams not good enough for the Champions League.

Doesn't mean it should be the consolation prize for teams that get knocked out of the CL though.