Emmanuel Rivière

LRD

How on earth are we supposed to get a Remy level striker ? Is there any actually at the amount of money we're willing to spend ?

£6.5m by the looks of it. Seems like we'd prefer to have a punt and hope for the best rather than shell out at least double for a proven striker.

I hope Jimmy Nail was in the party trying to convince him to sign.

And this is a big bid, Riviere, and in my heart I know, it won't rise again.

This is awful, like. Massive fan of Jimmy Nail and his fairly brief music career but I have no appreciation for that one whatsoever.

Andrew Gibney @Gibney_A  ·  7m

Emmanuele Riviere going to #NUFC is possibly one of the only times a EPL club have overpaid for a Ligue 1 player. Interesting player.

Riviere only scored twice in 2014 for ASM. Lost his place to Berbatov and Martial. Not sure how anyone justifies a €8m price tag #NUFC

On the plus side, Riviere is only 24. There is time to blossom, but that price is over the odds for what he has done in his career #NUFC

If Carroll is £35m after a good half a season in the top flight, £6m for someone who did similar in France is frig all.

Yes but, that's our entire transfer budget for next summer (and this one) gone

A striker is where the Cabaye money should go.  £20 Mil Lukaku - job done.

But it's clear Ashley isn't willing to spend the cash to acquire a proven goal scorer.

Guest bimpy474

Impressive...

http://i.gyazo.com/35d7a7fe85583d1a19aec27f8767694a.png

Most of the start of that he was a kid probably coming on as sub, as someone pointed out Drogba had scored 12 goals by the same age as he is now. You can't really compare it until it's been regular football.

Impressive...

http://i.gyazo.com/35d7a7fe85583d1a19aec27f8767694a.png

Less unimpressive if you look at the time he spent on the pitch vs goals rather than just the total number of times he was involved.  He only started 19 games last season and played under 20 full matches total, scored 10 goals, not that bad really, obviously he isn't good enough at the moment to be a important player for Monaco, but they do have some decent players.

It's not like he lacks the ability to score goals, you never know he might click or might support enough for others to do the scoring.

I'll give him a chance, pace works well in this league, a little too well at times.

Guest VanBarduck

Some guy on twitter named Ted Knutson is moving heaven and earth trying to prove he's actually a good player, using something called "statistics"  :lol:

Ted Knutson @mixedknuts

Rivière + that price plus Newcastle. Something really does not pass the smell test. HAS to cost more. Good signing though.

A lot of people talking about how they think Riviere is overpriced, so I guess I need to explain myself. For starters, he's 24, so just now entering his prime. He had the 4th best NPG90 rate in Ligue 1 last season at .51, and the same at Toulouse the year before. Shot rate is between 2.5 to 3 for his career. He's also a capable passer from the front and has 3 ssns of 1.25 KP or above. He's clearly a good player.

Basically, it's odd to see a guy who scored at a rate RIGHT NEXT TO CAVANI in France last season, who is only 24, go for under £12-15M

He's not clinical enough."

Riviere converted at a 19.6% rate last season. Zlatan? 12.4. Diabate? 16.9. Cavani? 14.9 Lacazette? 17.9

Guest VanBarduck

NPG90? ???

You tell me. It's from that website http://www.squawka.com/ it's the new toy everyone's using right now, comparing players with Matrix database, 90 metrics and shit.

I really don't like the Americanization of our sport.

One example chart says:

.4 to .49 non-penalty goals per 90: Good.

.5 to .59 non-penalty goals per 90: Very good.

.6 to .79 non-penalty goals per 90: Probable Top 20 in Europe

.8 or above non-penalty goals per 90: Probable Top 5 in Europe

Guest chicken little

Ted Knutson @mixedknuts

Rivière + that price plus Newcastle. Something really does not pass the smell test. HAS to cost more. Good signing though.

A lot of people talking about how they think Riviere is overpriced, so I guess I need to explain myself. For starters, he's 24, so just now entering his prime. He had the 4th best NPG90 rate in Ligue 1 last season at .51, and the same at Toulouse the year before. Shot rate is between 2.5 to 3 for his career. He's also a capable passer from the front and has 3 ssns of 1.25 KP or above. He's clearly a good player.

Basically, it's odd to see a guy who scored at a rate RIGHT NEXT TO CAVANI in France last season, who is only 24, go for under £12-15M

He's not clinical enough."

Riviere converted at a 19.6% rate last season. Zlatan? 12.4. Diabate? 16.9. Cavani? 14.9 Lacazette? 17.9

The people that come out with this kind of shite don't deserve football, because they don't understand it. They all need to die.