Rolando Aarons

Chapo

As I said a few posts up I've seen ACL's follow a fair few foot injuries with footballers in the past I suppose if you can't twist or flex a foot then the knees are going to do a fair amount of the twisting and take the strain.

Obviously I don't have the data in front of me but questions need to be asked on whether Aarons was truly ready to return to training.

Whilst Rafa has put much more faith and responsibility in Dr Paul Catterson his experience in football is very limited and if we could bring in a second more experienced doctor to work alongside him and give a second opinion I think it would be highly preferable.

How do you define 'very limited'? He's been here for nearly 8 years and according to his website

Paul has previously worked for the Football Association as team doctor for England Futsal, England U17, England U16 and at the World University Games with the Great Britain University Football Team in 2005.

which doesn't suggest 'very limited' experience in football.

With exception to working with us, none of those roles consist of managing a large group of players over a 50-game season.

Our medical department has been so poorly run for eight years that I do not count this as good experience either.

We need someone else who can offer a lot more thorough experience in working in the kind of setup Rafa prefers and then eventually by working with this new doctor over a period of time he will have the experience to lead.

Anyway the stakes of the sport are to high to rely on the word of one doctor, we need two.

Real shame as this lad looks a great talent. He's basically Siem De Jong II though.

Without the abuse.

And the fact De Jong made something of his career before he broke down

Edit : Not blaming Aarons for that of course, just stating the difference.

As I said a few posts up I've seen ACL's follow a fair few foot injuries with footballers in the past I suppose if you can't twist or flex a foot then the knees are going to do a fair amount of the twisting and take the strain.

Obviously I don't have the data in front of me but questions need to be asked on whether Aarons was truly ready to return to training.

Whilst Rafa has put much more faith and responsibility in Dr Paul Catterson his experience in football is very limited and if we could bring in a second more experienced doctor to work alongside him and give a second opinion I think it would be highly preferable.

What has Aarons tearing his ACL got to do with Catterson?

Seen it a few times when people have done in their ACL when about to recover from foot injuries.

Injury after injury takes its toll and the ACL is the killer.

Given his position, attributes and standing within the game the impacts of an ACL means his career is on a knifes edge.

Didn't that shithouse Michael Owen do his ACL recovering from a metatarsal?

Man, this is ridiculous. Get him fit and out on loan next season. Not likely to ever make it here.

Was incredibly disappointing at the start of the season when he had a chance to nail down a starting spot prior to the initial injury. Not sure he's even that good.

If by very limited you mean 8 years as a doctor at an elite level football club and previously working for the FA, yes very limited football experience. Obviously that is still quite a small period of time in the career of a doctor but to say he is very inexperienced in football is wrong. The club also works very closely with the Nuffield (where Dr. Catterson is also a consultant) so they won't be short on second or third opinions if required.

James.  Injuries seem to have already improved under Rafa.  I really don't get what your angle is here? 

You are using probably the most injury prone player in recent team history.  To try and make some point about Catterson not being experienced enough in Football to do his job on his own?!?! 

Tenuous link at best :lol:

Feel for Aarons.  I've just come back from the same, but with a few optional extras thrown in.  It isn't fun, the rehab is really boring and repetitive and whilst I only play at a decent amateur level and nowhere near pro, like Aarons.  I have lost a lot of agility and power and I am contemplating packing in 11 a side. 

Obviously he'll get great medical treatment and his rehab will be spot on.  But for someone who gets injured when the wind blows.  It's a huge concern for him. 

If by very limited you mean 8 years as a doctor at an elite level football club and previously working for the FA, yes very limited football experience. Obviously that is still quite a small period of time in the career of a doctor but to say he is very inexperienced in football is wrong. The club also works very closely with the Nuffield (where Dr. Catterson is also a consultant) so they won't be short on second or third opinions if required.

Clearly I don't have the scientific data or knowledge of the medical conditions but as an outsider looking it it looks very bad.

Firstly there is a lot of anecdotal evidence of footballers doing in their ACL after coming back from a foot injury. Crumpy gave one example.

Then Aarons on return from a foot injury does his ACL, as an outsider with that anecdotal knowledge it looks like he was signed off when he wasn't ready and if that was the case that is a serious error.

Take a step back and think about the long term effects for a sec. Aarons career is now on a knifes edge. We may have to spend millions on a winger, and if Aarons never fully recovers it will again cost us millions on lost potential.

It was therefore an error that was extremely bad for this football club.

We may be an elite club but we have had a tin pot back room for years. This is not an environment to develop good experience he may as well only have one years experience.

Work for England youth does not count as the role does not require managing the players over a fifty game season. Nuffield can not offer that either.

I'm not saying we bin Catterson but we can't rely on someone like that to work on their own and do a great job. We need a doctor with a good track record and 15-20 years of experience working in professional contact sport.