Crystal Palace manager

Mick

To be fair to Bellamy he hates NUFC fans because of the way the majority of them treated Bobby in his last season and in my opinion he's damned right.

He had a bit of (mostly deserved) criticism after Marseille and obviously that reaction to the poor performance/result at home to Wolves. He was hardly treated poorly.

Must admit that I thought Shearer got the better of the deal due to Bellamy's pace and workrate. Bellamy ran his bollocks off, dragged defenders all over the place which gave Shearer a bit more time and space. The two of them dovetailed superbly and were a right handful for any defence around at that time.

Agree with this.

Great article and it's brilliant that Edward's pointed out that's the way society is going.

Bellamy's comments at the weekend bothered me. He was giving the big one about how we expect to be better than Liverpool but we really shouldn't have that expectation. I thought he had some bloody nerve. For the majority of the time he spent here he was on Liverpool-like wages. We have top support. We should demand to compete on that level. If we get top 7 revenue and wages, we should be in the top 7. If we have the potential to get either of the two in the top 4 - we should try.

We won't get there with Pardew.

Bellamy is a jumped-up ignorant worm - had a decent spell at NUFC under SBR but has always been a trouble-maker and stirrer.

Not worth a tuppeny toss...

A 'decent spell'. :lol:

He was very arguably our best player for the 3 seasons we finished in our highest positions since Keegan.

In your view, maybe - he missed easy chances and he was the main beneficiary of Shearer's ability to take the pressure and lead the line.

All Bellamy did was pick up the pieces - and he never, ever, achieved the same success with another club.

Your main point is horrendously wrong as others have mentioned. Shearer didn't manage a single good season after Bellamy left. Shearer benefited from Bellamy tremendously (and vice versa).

Also his career after us was pretty successful tbf. When we where on our way to mediocrity and relegation Bellamy had his most prolific scoring season the following year (17 in 32), won a couple cups, got his home club promoted to the PL for the first time ever, scored and assisted in a CL QF victory at the Nou Camp.

Never, ever amounted to much after? Laughable.

To be fair to Bellamy he hates NUFC fans because of the way the majority of them treated Bobby in his last season and in my opinion he's damned right.

He had a bit of (mostly deserved) criticism after Marseille and obviously that reaction to the poor performance/result at home to Wolves. He was hardly treated poorly.

Aye, we underperformed for what we were capable of. 2 away wins all season was terrible. We could have had a poor away record, won about 4 even, and made the Champions League.

Aye, we underperformed for what we were capable of. 2 away wins all season was terrible. We could have had a poor away record, won about 4 even, and made the Champions League.

And we where spoilt (compared to what we've had to endure since) in those times. Top 6, 6 years out of 10 I believe?

Guest firetotheworks

Factor in a few Mackems and it's a clear majority who still want him out.

They're all Mackems as far as I'm concerned.

Great article and it's brilliant that Edward's pointed out that's the way society is going.

Bellamy's comments at the weekend bothered me. He was giving the big one about how we expect to be better than Liverpool but we really shouldn't have that expectation. I thought he had some bloody nerve. For the majority of the time he spent here he was on Liverpool-like wages. We have top support. We should demand to compete on that level. If we get top 7 revenue and wages, we should be in the top 7. If we have the potential to get either of the two in the top 4 - we should try.

Bellamy is a jumped-up ignorant worm - had a decent spell at NUFC under SBR but has always been a trouble-maker and stirrer.

Shearer would have got nowhere near our record without Robert & Bellamy signing that summer.

He was very arguably our best player for the 3 seasons we finished in our highest positions since Keegan.

In your view, maybe - he missed easy chances and he was the main beneficiary of Shearer's ability to take the pressure and lead the line.

All Bellamy did was pick up the pieces - and he never, ever, achieved the same success with another club.

Your main point is horrendously wrong as others have mentioned. Shearer didn't manage a single good season after Bellamy left. Shearer benefited from Bellamy tremendously (and vice versa).

Also his career after us was pretty successful tbf. When we where on our way to mediocrity and relegation Bellamy had his most prolific scoring season the following year (17 in 32), won a couple cups, got his home club promoted to the PL for the first time ever, scored and assisted in a CL QF victory at the Nou Camp.

You might be laughing - I don't find Bellamy remotely amusing...and if you think he would have had anything like the modicum of success he had at NUFC without Shearer taking the target man role, then you are living in dreamland.

Aye. Not as if he scored 17 goals in 26 games for Blackburn Rovers - with the 'target man role' expertly fulfilled by Shefki Kuqi.

Not sure where you got your stats from, but his best ever season for any club was at Blackburn where he scored 13 league goals in 27 matches (17 goals in all competitions in 32 games - 4 goals against Huddersfield (then in League 1) and QPR (who finished 21st in the Championship)).  He's never been prolific as his finishing wasn't good enough.  He was helped enormously by Shearer and vice versa.

Aye. Not as if he scored 17 goals in 26 games for Blackburn Rovers - with the 'target man role' expertly fulfilled by Shefki Kuqi.

Not sure where you got your stats from, but his best ever season for any club was at Blackburn where he scored 13 league goals in 27 matches (17 goals in all competitions in 32 games - 4 goals against Huddersfield (then in League 1) and QPR (who finished 21st in the Championship)).  He's never been prolific as his finishing wasn't good enough.  He was helped enormously by Shearer and vice versa.

He quite blatantly helped Blackburn Rovers and Shefki Kuqi to 6th a season after scoring 10 goals for us before Christmas, following 3 seasons of us being top 5 with him which we've failed to better from 1997 to present day. I'd say there's ample evidence that Bellamy had a massively positive effect on NUFC. Anyone arguing otherwise is following a bitter little agenda.

Shearer could still play, no doubt. But 4 consecutive seasons of finishing in the bottom half to repeat title challengers? Robert and Bellamy did that.

But 4 consecutive seasons of finishing in the bottom half to repeat title challengers? Robert and Bellamy did that.

Strange argument.  They didn't do that actually, or couldn't have without the likes of Shearer, Given, Speed and Solano already in the side.

I agree with you in general, Robson's homecoming was in danger of fizzling out before he brought Bellamy and Robert in.  People seem to forget that in his first full season we finished 11th.  Bellamy and Robert took us to another level after that but they couldn't have done so without the half dozen good players already at the club.

But 4 consecutive seasons of finishing in the bottom half to repeat title challengers? Robert and Bellamy did that.

Strange argument.  They didn't do that actually, or couldn't have without the likes of Shearer, Given, Speed and Solano already in the side.

All of whom had finished in the bottom half for 4 seasons. Nobody said we could have done it without them, but Bellamy and Robert were responsible for the vast improvement. We were absolutely crying out for 2 players like that, and getting them facilitated the leap from finishing 13th (98, 99) and 11th (00, 01) to 4th and 3rd.