Crystal Palace manager

Mick

Guest firetotheworks

There is unheard-of levels of contradiction in how the media have treated Newcastle fans compared to other clubs for sure, but I don't really rate that Edwards article as a piece of writing. The point is correct though.

His point usually is correct though, and that's the main thing for me, not whether it stands up as a piece of writing. He's probably the only decent journalist I can remember who's written for a local paper. Mark Douglas isn't bad either though.

Yeah, I don't think he's a good writer but he's started hitting on the right points now he works for a national.

He used to write decent stuff when he worked for the Journal. But then I would say that because he wrote stuff I agreed with.

Mark Douglas reckons that the local papers have always put pressure on Pardew and that it had nothing to do with the remarkable coincidence of them being banned by NUFC. I pointed this out to him and he claimed that I was clueless. :lol: Bloke's a total revisionist.

I think the protests have given the club a kick up the backside which was sorely needed to shake them out of their complacency so I would say they have been fully justified even if the original aim has not yet been achieved.  Certainly the club seemed alarmed enough by them to go out of their way to thwart the protests.

We will find out in due course whether lessons have been learnt but hopefully some will have been.  Surely the club and Pardew must see the positivity arising from recent results and from the introduction of the younger players and try and build on that (wishful thinking maybe) otherwise dissension will return soon enough.

Spot on. :clap:

I thought the article was confused and rambling.

I don't think anyone was disputing the supporters' right to express the opinion that Pardew should be sacked. What is in dispute is whether that opinion was a) wise and b) helpful to the team in the manner in which it was expressed. Edwards seems to mix the two up.

The idea that the upturn in form is because of the protest is a novel one, and one that Edwards is rather forcing himself to believe, I suspect. These kind of protests heap pressure on a team, and often lead to a downward spiral.

PS - And the idea that it is more difficult to complain or protest in today's society is rubbish.

i wish you didnt exist

I don't think anyone was disputing the supporters' right to express the opinion that Pardew should be sacked. What is in dispute is whether that opinion was a) wise and b) helpful to the team in the manner in which it was expressed. Edwards seems to mix the two up.

The idea that the upturn in form is because of the protest is a novel one, and one that Edwards is rather forcing himself to believe, I suspect. These kind of protests heap pressure on a team, and often lead to a downward spiral.

PS - And the idea that it is more difficult to complain or protest in today's society is rubbish.

i wish you didnt exist

I know  :D

What a w*****!

That post is a beauty. Hypocritical as owt.

Indeed mate!

NUFC fans owe Pardew an apology for complaining about him after we beat Leicester and Spurs in the league after 9 months of utter shite but the Spurs fans have every right to complain about their new manager because they aren't in the top 4!

Great article and it's brilliant that Edward's pointed out that's the way society is going.

Bellamy's comments at the weekend bothered me. He was giving the big one about how we expect to be better than Liverpool but we really shouldn't have that expectation. I thought he had some bloody nerve. For the majority of the time he spent here he was on Liverpool-like wages. We have top support. We should demand to compete on that level. If we get top 7 revenue and wages, we should be in the top 7. If we have the potential to get either of the two in the top 4 - we should try.

We won't get there with Pardew.

Bellamy is a jumped-up ignorant worm - had a decent spell at NUFC under SBR but has always been a trouble-maker and stirrer.

Not worth a tuppeny toss...

When the pressure is unfounded or knee-jerk I would agree. In our case that's utter bollocks because Pardew got everything he deserved, and the pressure was even kind to him if I'm honest.

I take it you mean he deserved everything he got. Because he certainly got off lightly when the pressure should have bee ramped up to its highest and unfortunately the sackpardew campaign was largely ignored by the majority in the ground.

Yup. Not worded it properly. The fucker got off very lightly and should have been under a lot more pressure. Even so, I do think the protests and the media attention got him to sit up and notice, and appear as if he's changing his ways. How someone can dismiss that a protest can have a good effect on a football team off-hand without actually looking at the facts is beyond me tbh.

Great article and it's brilliant that Edward's pointed out that's the way society is going.

Bellamy's comments at the weekend bothered me. He was giving the big one about how we expect to be better than Liverpool but we really shouldn't have that expectation. I thought he had some bloody nerve. For the majority of the time he spent here he was on Liverpool-like wages. We have top support. We should demand to compete on that level. If we get top 7 revenue and wages, we should be in the top 7. If we have the potential to get either of the two in the top 4 - we should try.

Bellamy is a jumped-up ignorant worm - had a decent spell at NUFC under SBR but has always been a trouble-maker and stirrer.

Agreed. Still one of my favourite NUFC players so it was annoying to hear him talk like that. Alas he's gone the way of Big Al & Beardsley.

A 'decent spell'. :lol:

He was very arguably our best player for the 3 seasons we finished in our highest positions since Keegan.

He was very arguably our best player for the 3 seasons we finished in our highest positions since Keegan.

Robert <3

In your view, maybe - he missed easy chances and he was the main beneficiary of Shearer's ability to take the pressure and lead the line.

All Bellamy did was pick up the pieces - and he never, ever, achieved the same success with another club.

In your view, maybe - he missed easy chances and he was the main beneficiary of Shearer's ability to take the pressure and lead the line.

All Bellamy did was pick up the pieces

Absolute garbage.

Bellamy was fantastic for Newcastle, him Dyer and Robert used to give the opposition nightmares of conceding the ball because we'd have the ball from one end of the pitch to the other in the space of a few seconds. The ball was in the net before they'd registered what hit them. Shame he's such an ungracious bastard about his time here considering he's done very little elsewhere.

Must admit that I thought Shearer got the better of the deal due to Bellamy's pace and workrate. Bellamy ran his bollocks off, dragged defenders all over the place which gave Shearer a bit more time and space. The two of them dovetailed superbly and were a right handful for any defence around at that time.

Must admit that I thought Shearer got the better of the deal due to Bellamy's pace and workrate. Bellamy ran his bollocks off, dragged defenders all over the place which gave Shearer a bit more time and space. The two of them dovetailed superbly and were a right handful for any defence around at that time.

I think that's a bit of myth due to the fact that Bellamy's finishing when he was with us was so erratic.  Without as prolific a striker as Shearer, Bellamy would have struggled due to his poor goal return.  He was a 1 in 3 striker for us and for a top 4 team, that isn't quite good enough by itself.

So I think they both benefitted basically..

I think that's a bit of myth due to the fact that Bellamy's finishing when he was with us was so erratic.  Without as prolific a striker as Shearer, Bellamy would have struggled due to his poor goal return.  He was a 1 in 3 striker for us and for a top 4 team, that isn't quite good enough by itself.

Souness didn't think much of his finishing and while he wasn't clinical, he was much more than a finisher. He dragged defences all over the place by pulling out wide, ran on to Shearer's flicks perfectly, crossed brilliantly from wide and was a cracking striker of the ball from distance with that left foot.

Souness didn't think much of his finishing and while he wasn't clinical, he was much more than a finisher. He dragged defences all over the place by pulling out wide, ran on to Shearer's flicks perfectly, crossed brilliantly from wide and was a cracking striker of the ball from distance with that left foot.

That's kind of my point.  Bellamy did things Shearer couldn't do and vice versa.  What I am saying is that because Bellamy didn't have great finishing skills (I still have nightmares over the number of chances (especially one on ones) that he would miss), he needed a striker alongside him to be prolific.

Guest TruToon94

To be fair to Bellamy he hates NUFC fans because of the way the majority of them treated Bobby in his last season and in my opinion he's damned right. Thus why we now have Pardew in charge and are a small club, sadly.

It's very personal to Bellamy, make no doubts about that but he was class. The amount of pace we had in attack under Sir Bobby was ludicrous.

pretty much.