Crystal Palace manager

Mick

That wanker Barclay, as predictable as the sun rising: http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/patrick-barclay-arsenal-should-be-worried-by-the-tensions-at-white-hart-lane-not-tottenham-9853013.html

The fans are entitled to believe their club should be where West Ham are, or even taking the role of Mauricio Pochettino’s old club Southampton, inspiring leaders of a pack threatening the status of under-achievers such as Arsenal, at least temporarily, have become.

:lol:

That f***ing bloke man. How does he get to literally every away game, surely he cant have a job. :lol:

Made the mistake of sitting next to that guy in Shearer's Bar after a game a few season's back. Wanted to kill myself shortly after

Rob Lee has said he was desperate to lose the derby in the rain to get rid of Gullit. ujpest would rather have won, had another season of him and missed out on Robson. True fan.

I reckon some of the players might've felt like that. Then he wasn't fired. A lot of players get like that because they know they'll be okay - especially Spurs & Chelsea. Don't like the manager? Under-perform he'll be gone in 6 months. Our players don't have that luxury and eventually they've had to back the manager.

It's the same with the fans. He's not going anywhere. He's pretty sewn the job up for the season. Might as well get behind the team, he's nee going nowhere for awhile man.

Great article and it's brilliant that Edward's pointed out that's the way society is going.

Bellamy's comments at the weekend bothered me. He was giving the big one about how we expect to be better than Liverpool but we really shouldn't have that expectation. I thought he had some bloody nerve. For the majority of the time he spent here he was on Liverpool-like wages. We have top support. We should demand to compete on that level. If we get top 7 revenue and wages, we should be in the top 7. If we have the potential to get either of the two in the top 4 - we should try.

We won't get there with Pardew.

What a wanker!

HTTP://WWW.STANDARD.CO.UK/SPORT/PATRICK-BARCLAY-MESSAGE-TO-NEWCASTLE-SUPPORTERS--ITS-TIME-TO-SAY-SORRY-TO-ALAN-PARDEW-9827653.HTML

Patrick Barclay: Message to Newcastle supporters - it's time to say sorry to Alan Pardew

PATRICK BARCLAY

Published: 30 October 2014

Updated: 09:54, 30 October 2014

Maybe it is true that you can’t fool the public. But the public can certainly make fools of themselves.

Take, for example, the Newcastle fans who not only wanted Alan Pardew sacked as manager but took to arriving at matches with placards saying so. Many such messages were held aloft during the defeat at Stoke a month ago. Yet even then, with Newcastle seeking their first Premier League win, there had been signs of life: a 10-man victory at Crystal Palace in the Capital One Cup; a two-goal comeback to earn a point at home to Hull; a general refusal to succumb to derision.

Now look at them. Two wins and a draw in the League have made Pardew a strong candidate for Barclays’ Manager Of The Month and last night his men — with a few bright boys thrown in — brought off an even more impressive cup triumph at Manchester City, earning a visit to Tottenham in the quarter-finals. So will the “Sorry Alan” placards be flourished on Saturday, when Liverpool arrive at St James’ Park? I’d like to think so.

Pardew may have his flaws — the shoving of a linesman in 2012 was not pretty, and nor was the gentle nutting of Hull’s David Meyler eight months ago — but he can manage a football team and Newcastle owner Mike Ashley deserves credit for keeping him in charge.

Another reason for the fans to cheer up is the emergence of youngsters. It’s always refreshing, and the dart of pace that enabled 18-year-old Rolando Aarons to score early at the Etihad suggested he may have more in common with Raheem Sterling than a Jamaican birthplace.

Adam Armstrong, 17, also started, while the 22-year-old Sammy Ameobi will be keen to return to White Hart Lane, where he scored his first Premier League goal on Sunday. Newcastle’s summer buys were interesting too — all 25 or under. So it’s a squad built to last. With admirably durable manager.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/patrick-barclay-arsenal-should-be-worried-by-the-tensions-at-white-hart-lane-not-tottenham-9853013.html

Patrick Barclay: Arsenal should be worried by the tensions at White Hart Lane, not Tottenham

PATRICK BARCLAY

Published: 11 November 2014

Updated: 12:53, 11 November 2014

Arsenal are the ones who should be worried about the latest tensions at White Hart Lane, not Tottenham.

For there was a time when to be only three points behind their lofty rivals was cause for satisfaction at the Lane. Not now.

TOTTENHAM IN CRISIS:

The fans are entitled to believe their club should be where West Ham are, or even taking the role of Mauricio Pochettino’s old club Southampton, inspiring leaders of a pack threatening the status of under-achievers such as Arsenal, at least temporarily, have become.

Instead, Spurs have themselves joined the light punchers. This should have been a good season for them. The players acquired with the Gareth Bale money should have bedded in - and bought into the methods of a promising new manager. Yet they have lost four of their last five home matches and Emmanuel Adebayor is moaning about the crowd, who this morning hit back in the form of Martin Cloake, a board member for the Tottenham Supporters’ Trust whose name belies an admirable candour.

I thought the article was confused and rambling.

I don't think anyone was disputing the supporters' right to express the opinion that Pardew should be sacked. What is in dispute is whether that opinion was a) wise and b) helpful to the team in the manner in which it was expressed. Edwards seems to mix the two up.

The idea that the upturn in form is because of the protest is a novel one, and one that Edwards is rather forcing himself to believe, I suspect. These kind of protests heap pressure on a team, and often lead to a downward spiral.

PS - And the idea that it is more difficult to complain or protest in today's society is rubbish.

I don't think anyone was disputing the supporters' right to express the opinion that Pardew should be sacked. What is in dispute is whether that opinion was a) wise and b) helpful to the team in the manner in which it was expressed. Edwards seems to mix the two up.

The idea that the upturn in form is because of the protest is a novel one, and one that Edwards is rather forcing himself to believe, I suspect. These kind of protests heap pressure on a team, and often lead to a downward spiral.

PS - And the idea that it is more difficult to complain or protest in today's society is rubbish.

When the pressure is unfounded or knee-jerk I would agree. In our case that's utter bollocks because Pardew got everything he deserved, and the pressure was even kind to him if I'm honest.

When the pressure is unfounded or knee-jerk I would agree. In our case that's utter bollocks because Pardew got everything he deserved, and the pressure was even kind to him if I'm honest.

I take it you mean he deserved everything he got. Because he certainly got off lightly when the pressure should have bee ramped up to its highest and unfortunately the sackpardew campaign was largely ignored by the majority in the ground.

Jesus wept.:lol:

There is unheard-of levels of contradiction in how the media have treated Newcastle fans compared to other clubs for sure, but I don't really rate that Edwards article as a piece of writing. The point is correct though.

His point usually is correct though, and that's the main thing for me, not whether it stands up as a piece of writing. He's probably the only decent journalist I can remember who's written for a local paper. Mark Douglas isn't bad either though.

:lol: Re your last sentence - yeah, it's far harder to just sit on your hands and lap the failure up in silence like you do.

There is unheard-of levels of contradiction in how the media have treated Newcastle fans compared to other clubs for sure, but I don't really rate that Edwards article as a piece of writing. The point is correct though.

His point usually is correct though, and that's the main thing for me, not whether it stands up as a piece of writing. He's probably the only decent journalist I can remember who's written for a local paper. Mark Douglas isn't bad either though.

Yeah, I don't think he's a good writer but he's started hitting on the right points now he works for a national.

I think the protests have given the club a kick up the backside which was sorely needed to shake them out of their complacency so I would say they have been fully justified even if the original aim has not yet been achieved.  Certainly the club seemed alarmed enough by them to go out of their way to thwart the protests.

We will find out in due course whether lessons have been learnt but hopefully some will have been.  Surely the club and Pardew must see the positivity arising from recent results and from the introduction of the younger players and try and build on that (wishful thinking maybe) otherwise dissension will return soon enough.

Yeah, I don't think he's a good writer but he's started hitting on the right points now he works for a national.

He used to write decent stuff when he worked for the Journal. But then I would say that because he wrote stuff I agreed with.