Crystal Palace manager

Mick

You've only got to look at the 03/04 season to recognise Bellamy's importance to the Robson sides. We were without him for half of that season (it was Robert's best, incidentally) and we were nothing like the team of the previous seasons. We should've bought someone else that summer instead of settling for Shola as third choice. Were we even linked with any strikers in the naff Bowyer window?

Blame Merlin for his utterly embarrassing take on a player whose arrival and departure symbolised the beginning and end of the last great period to be an NUFC fan.

No wonder NUFC is in such a state if you believe that Bellamy was a symbol of the club's greatness - the only wonder is that you actually want Pardew out.

As for you stupid comment about my view, that reflects more on you than it does on me - you can lick Bellamy's boots if you want but there are plenty that won't, including me ; his comment about the club was typical of him...small minded, wrong and petty. If I had my way, he would never be allowed back into SJP unless he was an opposition player.

With his views about our club and fans he would have been an ideal signing for the current regime, and the likes of you would have licked his boots.

http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-articles/alan-pardew-claims-great-new-master-plan/

Alan Pardew has claimed that Newcastle United are even more of a threat at times when they haven’t got the ball.

The Newcastle manager reflecting on wins over Spurs, Manchester City and Liverpool when United only had around a third of the possession.

(To feature like Dean, send in your articles for our website to [email protected])

Pardew claims that other teams are finding it hard to figure out how to combat the system he has switched to in recent weeks, playing 4-3-3, or in reality, 4-5-1;

“Our system is causing other teams problems, they will get to grips with it and we will have to ask a different question.

“We have played that system (4-3-3/4-5-1) with some successful (Newcastle) teams.”

The manager claims that while the formation is the same as when Newcastle finished fifth and the early part of last season, the make-up of the current team means that it is used differently;

“We played it when finishing fifth, and we played that system at the start of last year (season), but this team has a different make up to those two teams.

“Those teams were about possession but this team is quite happy not to have the ball.

“It can be just as dangerous without the ball – perhaps even more of a threat at times.”

I think to a large extent Alan Pardew is trying to fit his footballing ‘philosophy’ after the event, defending in depth and trying to counter-attack is hardly a revelation in football.

While we are all enjoying the recent wins and the fact the players are showing great application and digging in, I don’t think ‘being happy not to have the ball’ is a great long-term winning strategy.

Overall, the more possession you have then the more you win.

I also disagree with Pardew’s claims that last season’s early form and when Newcastle finished fifth was built more on having possession.

The 2011/12 season was built on largely even matches, or more possession for the opposition, then swift counter-attacks and wonder goals from Cabaye, Ba, Cisse and Ben Arfa.

Only in a late half dozen game spell that season did United ever really dominate any teams.

Likewise, last season early on, it was Cabaye and Loic Remy supplying counter-attacks and goals out of nothing, with Ben Arfa chipping in with a few as well in the very early games.

Nothing wrong with what is happening at the minute and defending deep to try and get clean sheets and rebuild confidence, but it isn’t a great Pardew master plan moving forward.

http://new4.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/Well+as+it+turns+out+i+m+a+genius+because+at+_3218cf4761d5db27358c4ac28cff113c.png

You can only assume (though I think the more switched on people here know this with a degree of certainty) he's making this shit up because he genuinely has no idea how to coach or get a football team to play possession football. Making shit up to cover his own inadequacies and he's spinning it to make him sound like it's part of some master plan to play winning football? :lol: Fuck me, not even in a parallel universe would any sane person say a team without the ball, in a fucking football match, is somehow more 'dangerous'. Dangerous at doing fucking what, giving the opposition the chance to stick the ball in the fucking net? Is this cunt for fucking real? And an overwhelming majority actually want him to STAY as manager of this football club? Fuck me, maybe Ashley is right after all - thick people easily convinced

Blame Merlin for his utterly embarrassing take on a player whose arrival and departure symbolised the beginning and end of the last great period to be an NUFC fan.

No wonder NUFC is in such a state if you believe that Bellamy was a symbol of the club's greatness - the only wonder is that you actually want Pardew out.

As for you stupid comment about my view, that reflects more on you than it does on me - you can lick Bellamy's boots if you want but there are plenty that won't, including me ; his comment about the club was typical of him...small minded, wrong and petty. If I had my way, he would never be allowed back into SJP unless he was an opposition player.

With his views about our club and fans he would have been an ideal signing for the current regime, and the likes of you would have licked his boots.

Bellamy was a damn fine player, even if his constant moaning and whinging was embarrassing. The job a player like that does for the team cannot simply be measured in goal statistics I.e. Forcing errors from defenders, pulling them out of position to create space for others, providing a constant outlet when it needs to be hit long.

BUT (and it's a fucking big but) the way he has carried on since leaving NUFC he has completely alienated himself imo. The texting to mock us getting beat in the semi was bad enough but his recent comments, and it's not the first time he has said it, are the worst. As correctly pointed out by Ronaldo hos time here coincided with the last time we were genuinely capable of challenging for honours. Given the well known extra curricular activities of Bellamy amongst others it is without doubt that these lads were not treating their bodies in a way which would enable them to fulfil their potential as athletes and maybe, you know, win something. To later hear that a factor in this behaviour was a 'its only Newcastle United they don't win trophies anyway' attitude should frankly leave everyone associated with the club feeling cheated. Not to mention that he once feigned injury to duck out of a game!!

And this constant narrative he pushes of aligning himself with Bobby Robson as if they were kindred spirits brutally treated by the fickle baying mob together leaves a nasty taste as well. Two more different characters you could not wish to find.

Sorry, going off topic. Isn't Pardew a cunt.

You can only assume (though I think the more switched on people here know this with a degree of certainty) he's making this s*** up because he genuinely has no idea how to coach or get a football team to play possession football. Making s*** up to cover his own inadequacies and he's spinning it to make him sound like it's part of some master plan to play winning football? :lol: f*** me, not even in a parallel universe would any sane person say a team without the ball, in a f***ing football match, is somehow more 'dangerous'. Dangerous at doing f***ing what, giving the opposition the chance to stick the ball in the f***ing net? Is this c*** for f***ing real? And an overwhelming majority actually want him to STAY as manager of this football club? f*** me, maybe Ashley is right after all - thick people easily convinced

He's literally sat for days thinking of how to spin this and the best he's got is 'Sometimes we don't got the ball much.' Before explaining the concept of simple counter attacking slowly as if he's reinvented catenaccio or summat man. Unbelievable no-one's called him out on this shit.

Unbelievable no-one's called him out on this shit.

They did, but we strung a few wins together for the first time in a year and they've been told to pipe down as the panic is over and Pardew is a genius again.

Unbelievable no-one's called him out on this s***.

They did, but we strung a few wins together for the first time in a year and they've been told to pipe down as the panic is over and Pardew is a genius again.

Sorry, I was thinking of professional journalists, mass media etc.

You know the people paid to provide insightful comment as their job.

Should have clarified.

Should have clarified.

Oh I quite agree. Seems so obvious doesn't it.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Should have clarified.

God knows why, but there seems to be a love-in between some of the media and Pardew.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Isn't that Mourinho's whole philosophy? Pretty sure he's said those words almost exactly before. Pards probably heard him say it and decided to repeat it.

I am sure that Pardew and Mourinho are of a similar standard as managers.

In Pardew's brain.

Have you always been this thick? The only time we've enjoyed football even approaching great in the past 17 years has direct correlation with Bellamy's 3 full seasons. Having the capacity to recognise this has nothing to do with the state of the club. It is, however, basic common sense.

Guest Howaythetoon

Bellamy was a very good player for us without ever becoming a great player and that's because individually, he was rather limited in key areas namely finishing and skill. His work rate, pace, movement and his sheer stubbornness made him a very important player though and he and Shearer dovetailed perfectly.

That partnership worked because the two played off of each other very well, each benefiting from the others' attributes. Shearer benefited from Bellamy's pace, running and nuisance factor and Bellamy Shearer's strength, heading and ability to protect the ball and play others in.

As good as they were individually and as a partnership, however, they were assisted hugely by the players behind them and more so by  their manager's football philosophy which was to get at teams from the off and constantly using pace, wing play and being direct in an attacking sense.

Guest Howaythetoon

He was right to be f***ed off under Souness tbf. 

Getting played right wing when he was in the best form of our strikers at the time, getting subbed etc.  When Pardew does similar, there's hell on.

Aye, but you cannot take the manager on, not publicly anyway. Sir Bobby played him on the flanks a few times and he did play there a lot for Norwich, Coventry and even Wales at times. We all know it wasn't his best position, but he kicked off over it on a bad way and from what I've heard, he really did feign injury which is a disgrace really as you're cheating your team-mates, manager, fans and even himself.

Anyway, that whole period was damaging to the club. Bellamy should have been more professional, its as if he was using the whole situation to engineer a move away...

Guest Howaythetoon

I disagree, I think it was all Souness' fault. :lol:

He obviously had a hard on for him, but Bellamy didn't help matters. Bellamy had caused problems behind the scenes well in advance of Souness' arrival and in many ways these problems probably helped Sir Bobby to lose his job.

For me, they were both protagonists and both worthy of being nowhere near our club. Bellamy was a good player, but not a great player and certainly not irreplaceable.