NUFC 0 - 1 Sunderland - 21/12/14 - reaction to Pardew's derby run from page 43

LRD

He should have been booted into the middle of next week pub team football style.  There's just no excuse, it's amateur defending of the worst kind and very naive.  You don't let one of the best dribblers on the opposing team run past you, making tame efforts to tackle/foul him.  If you're going to take him down, do it strongly, aggressively and make sure of it, without being dangerous or using studs. 

was going to send them abuse, but I can't tell if they're being ironic or not. Their other tweets seem to blame Pardz.

https://twitter.com/NufcVine

I think its safe to say that they were being ironic.

I was getting really close to falling asleep towards the end, but I counted 3 other clear cut opportunities (Wickham and Gomez lol) that they could/should have scored, and a couple decent shooting opportunities for us at best. Did I miss something?

Truth is they missed about four massive chances, we had none.

A draw would have flattered us against a s*** team.

Thanks for that Alan

We had a couple like. Theirs were more glaring though.

Far too slow getting forward didnt really get behind them much bar Armstrongs shot which was weak as piss, couple of longer range efforts. How the fuck can we concede a goal from taking a corner though unfuckingbelievable.

Not as angry as I have been in the past. Starting to not give a toss.

Had forgotten about this and was buzzing thinking about Christmas plans/seeing family within about fifiteen minutes :lol: Only remembered when I came back on to my laptop

Truth is they missed about four massive chances, we had none.

A draw would have flattered us against a s*** team.

Thanks for that Alan

We had a couple like. Theirs were more glaring though.

They should have been 2 up at half time at least 1

Our chances were half & usually down to Perez brilliance.

When will people realise that Pardue delivers this as a norm, punctuated by the odd amazing result.

Not the other way around

Alan Pardew is accentuating the positives in defeat, insisting his team played well, but admitting that he is going to have live with being the first manager to lose four successive derbies against Sunderland.

He adds that he is not going to criticise his team for pushing for the win late, but concedes that they lost "a bit of discipline" at the end.

Alan Pardew is accentuating the positives in defeat, insisting his team played well, but admitting that he is going to have live with being the first manager to lose four successive derbies against Sunderland.

He adds that he is not going to criticise his team for pushing for the win late, but concedes that they lost "a bit of discipline" at the end.

Alan forgetting he subbed off the holding midfielder for an attacking player and claiming the players lost discipline.

What a swell guy he is.

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwru33NE821r803nno1_500.jpg

Steve Harper Hull City goalkeeper on BBC Radio 5 live

Newcastle 0-1 Sunderland

Posted at 15:29

"That is a killer blow for Newcastle. They had a good run recently but that is soon forgotten. This will hurt. The fans will be hurting. The manager will be hurting. Losing four derbies in a row... that is tough to take. It is a by-product of football that when you do well everything is rosy and when you lose it is the worst thing in the world.

"The scrutiny will probably get a bit silly on Pardew again. This Newcastle team have proved they can compete with anyone on the day but these derbies are proving a step too far at the moment."

:lol:

Threw that game away with a couple of ridiculous decisions.

Steven fucking Taylor. It really shouldn't need saying, but why is this moron still here, let alone on the pitch? After his collision with the post - following the only decent bit of defending he did all match, btw - why did we wait for him to come back and play with ten men, when it was the perfect opportunity to correct the error of having him out there in the first place? The guy's a half-wit, or should that be a quarter-wit now? He's our one player that I genuinely dislike and I despise him with every fibre of my being. A total liability that should have been shipped on years ago.

Why bring on Armstrong instead of Cisse? It makes no logical sense. Armstrong's a decent tidy player, but I've never seen him have a significant influence on any game where he's been brought on in the second half and today was no exception. It hardly needs saying that the opposite is true for Papiss and there were two crosses from Ameobi today that I'm certain he would have got on the end of and probably put away. Also, it's not just that Cisse would have been more effective than Armstrong in a straight swap, but there's also the effect it had on the rest of the team. Firstly, it meant Perez was moved into a deeper role making him less effective and leaving Armstrong on his own up front, which is just ridiculous. Secondly, it meant that when we did bring on Cisse, Gouffran had already been sacrificed and he had to take Tiote off. I'm not that upset at taking Tiote off, he could well have ended up getting sent off at some point and he looked to be flagging a bit to me. However, if he was coming off he needed to be replaced by Anita - who should have been on the bench for this very reason - because moving Sissoko back there is a fucking waste of our best player. Also, it negates any attacking advantage we might have got by bringing on an extra attacker, especially if he's continually having to cover as Captain Spastastic goes blundering off up the pitch, like he's playing 50-a-side during the lunch-break at school - see point 1.

Anyway, I feel better after venting.

:neutral:

They had about 5 clear-cut opportunities, didn't they?

This is why I've now given up on the club. It's absolutely pointless. As we all said before the match, he won't be under any pressure if we lose this. Our support is far too fucking stupid to realise anything. 'Onwards and upwards'? Fuck off you pathetic cunt, have a bit of ambition or standards in your life you shot cunt. I hope all of them have an absolutely shit Christmas like.

Fuck this club man. It's an absolute joke. No one will object to this because apparently we played well. This is the sort of club and fans we're dealing with now. An then you look at the East Stand and see that unbearable Sports Direct crap plastered on it and you realise, there is no point. That is why this club exists and quite frankly, I don't want to be a part of it anymore.

That was a bizarre experience. For the first time in my life watching a Newcastle game, I felt like nothing more than a neutral observer at a football match was as entertaining as a casual flick through an office supply catalogue. Such is my now utterly dormant and repressed passion for this team, I wanted to watch just to get  measure of how poor a side they really are under Pardew.

There is no semblance of an attacking plan, let alone philosophy. Today's tactics took the the following form:

1. Hoof it long, if we get lucky it will bounce near Perez and he might create something despite having 4 players around him;

2. Give it to Sissoko and hope he does something.

Beyond Perez and Sissoko, nobody moves into any attacking position that makes me thing "good run" - i.e. one that wasn't, to me, completely obvious and unadventurous to make. The Newcastle players overlap their man on the ball so infrequently it's actually perplexing. 95% of their attacking moves are slow, overly-ponderous, built of of sideways and backward passes and players standing around and pointing. My hope is that the players just aren't very good, my suspicion is that they are specifically instructed not to commit forward and not, under pain of isolation from the first team and the King's inner court, forget their defensive duties for one second. Gouffran has been developed into an auxiliary fullback. He's actually a winger whose primary task is to defend from the front.

Pardew's primary tactic for today seemed to be: "put Geordies onto the pitch; their "passion" and/or "grit" and/or "determination" (the adjectives are as interchangeable as they are completely futile) will see us through". I am at a loss to otherwise understand the Armstrong substitution when Papiss Cisse and Remy Cabella are sitting there in jogging bottoms. I think he genuinely thought the reason we lose these derbies so regularly under his stewardship is - because it, of course, cannot be his tactics, approach, tone or selections - because we did not have enough "local lads" in the team, who understand the game better than those idle foreign mercenaries (talent and aptitude for the game, be damned).

He also continues with his perverse love of playing people out of position - a centre half again played at left back and, shockingly, offered nothing coming forward (and I think Dummett is actually not a bad player). A striker was once again asked to play as a defensive winger, and once again did as asked but looked like an attacking player being asked to adapt (abandon) his game. The only good central player today for Newcastle was shunted to the right wing in order to accommodate the entrance - with 30 minutes to spare - of a young player who is currently doing quite well for the reserves but has looked completely overmatched in his rare, albeit understandably encouraging, appearances in the first team. Playing players out of position is only done by managers worldwide - literally, in every league in the world - because of two reasons:

1. Injuries and suspensions causing a rare, emergency situation which you prefer to take if you don't trust the best reserve/youngster in a first team game yet; and

2. If somebody's form is so good that you need to shoehorn them into the team somehow.

Neither applies in Newcastle's substitutions; indeed, the last of the 3 I cite above was precisely the opposite of option 2, to shoehorn the most inform player into a less influential position and one which does not suit him.

Despite defence being the team's supposed strength, Newcastle are actually very basic and average. They clear the ball whenever possible, they stick to their man and they pack into a solid bank of four and five. It's not that they are a decent, intelligent defensive unit; it's that they have so many men behind the ball they can afford a player moving out of line to try and win the ball, or they crowd the other team out, both at the same time as always limiting their options. I wouldn't be opposed to it if it formed the basis of a game with any attacking plan to counter-balance it. As soon as Newcastle do not have numbers back, they look lost, ragged, panicked and confused. Unmarked opposition players roam free, runs are not tracked, players watch the ball only and multiple men cover the same opposition man. It suggests to me that the man who coaches that system does not have a sufficiently adept plan for when other teams counter or when players - by instinct only and likely against his instructions - over-commit to an attack in a desperate attempt to alleviate their own frustration and boredom.

I have no qualifications as a football manager; I watch a lot of games in different leagues and play two or three times a week. With that as my football background, I noticed the following glaringly obvious points:

1. Due a pre-game injury, Sunderland had a centre-half at full back. Pardew chose to put Gouffran up against him from 25 minutes onwards. In that situation, surely you leave the trickier, more attack-minded winger to try and outpace or expose him?

2. Sunderland had a reserve centre half on. I would have instructed the team to target that player, and would have used a striker who is either a physical bully or very pacey. Coates had nothing out of the ordinary to deal with and was given as gentle a ride as the rest of his team. Like Sunderland correctly did with Alnick, Newcastle should have tried to rough him up a little.

3. No other coach that I know of plays a 4-5-1 formation and combines it with long-ball football. Quite apart from using a system obviously unsuitable to the striker at its tip, the system is designed as a formation which assists possession-based football (and hence its popularity and use in the last 5 years of the game, and its successful implementation by teams like Barcelona and Bayern Munich). The only reason Pardew uses the formation is that it permits him to play an extra defender in midfield.

4. Sunderland posed very little threat down their right hand-side. As the game wore on, I would have put an actual left-back capable of attacking there, confident that he wouldn't be overawed by the amount of attacking play against him.

5. Newcastle are incredibly bad at crossing the ball. Their set piece play in general is as incisive and rapier-like as a satsuma and as well thought-out as a British one-way system.

Sunderland were noting more than an average side today, they played neither well nor poorly and easily could have been beaten. Newcastle, after a frenetic start, deliberately ceded territory and momentum in order to let the other team back in the game. Sunderland looked tentative and overawed at the start, and there was no hint of Newcastle keeping up the pressure once the chance of an early goal evaporated.

The team has not progressed at all: it still relies on having 1-2 talented players in the front six who will sometimes create something from nothing, while defending in numbers and playing conservatively regardless of circumstance, context or opposition. Newcastle looked one-dimensional, uninspired and unnecessarily cautious. They did not deserve to lose but cannot - or, at least, should not - be surprised that they were beaten.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew, speaking to Sky Sports: "We were chasing the game and in terms of cover committing we had warned the players that Sunderland might score that way, and we were punished. But on another day we would have won. We had good chances. Ayoze Perez was the brightest player on the pitch.

"You are pushing and we wanted to win - we would take the draw now but if you draw without pushing for the win you would be disappointed. Maybe we pushed a bit too hard but I am not going to criticise my players. They put in everything they could. Sunderland edged the first half but second half we went up a level. We should be sitting here as winners but we have lost. We now have to regroup and take our second half form into the game against Manchester United.

"Both goalkeepers played well, but I was pleased for Jak Alnwick. He stood up to enormous pressure but it is disappointing for our fans. Losing four times in a row against Sunderland is a tag that is going to stick on me now so I will have to wear it.

"I am proud of how the team approached the game today. It wasn't our day. Criticism that might come my way or the teams way, we will have to accept. We can't listen or absorb it, we have to prepare ourselves for the next game."

Newcastle 0-1 Sunderland

"That is a killer blow for Newcastle. They had a good run recently but that is soon forgotten. This will hurt. The fans will be hurting. The manager will be hurting. Losing four derbies in a row... that is tough to take. It is a by-product of football that when you do well everything is rosy and when you lose it is the worst thing in the world.

"The scrutiny will probably get a bit silly on Pardew again. This Newcastle team have proved they can compete with anyone on the day but these derbies are proving a step too far at the moment."

Shut up Steve

Newcastle 0-1 Sunderland

Harps man.

:neutral:

They had about 5 clear-cut opportunities, didn't they?

This is why I've now given up on the club. It's absolutely pointless. As we all said before the match, he won't be under any pressure if we lose this. Our support is far too f***ing stupid to realise anything. 'Onwards and upwards'? f*** off you pathetic c***, have a bit of ambition or standards in your life you shot c***. I hope all of them have an absolutely s*** Christmas like.

f*** this club man. It's an absolute joke. No one will object to this because apparently we played well. This is the sort of club and fans we're dealing with now. An then you look at the East Stand and see that unbearable Sports Direct crap plastered on it and you realise, there is no point. That is why this club exists and quite frankly, I don't want to be a part of it anymore.

Calm down mate[emoji41]