Mental health in football

ponsaelius

If it was a suicide attempt, I'm aware suicidal people aren't thinking rationally but killing yourself in a way which will involve innocent people (I.e. jumping in front of a train, off a bridge, in front of traffic, etc.) is extremely unfair on those people.

It is unfair involving others but suicide is an unfair act anyway as people are always hurt.

The worst thing is they can end up killing other people. I've seen stories in the media about how someone attempted to kill them self by driving their car in to traffic coming the other way. Inevitably they survived the crash but the family they crashed into all died. Someone jumping off a motorway bridge as traffic passes underneath becomes a lethal projectile.

If it was a suicide attempt, I'm aware suicidal people aren't thinking rationally but killing yourself in a way which will involve innocent people (I.e. jumping in front of a train, off a bridge, in front of traffic, etc.) is extremely unfair on those people.

The second half of your sentence is totally explained by the first, mind. Like you said. Imagine what must be going through someone's mind to push them to the edge of suicide, or indeed to actually do it.

The second half of your sentence is totally explained by the first, mind. Like you said. Imagine what must be going through someone's mind to push them to the edge of suicide, or indeed to actually do it.

Totally bang on like.

Never got the selfish comment from others because of what you've said. Although I can see why people would label it as a selfish act.

It's a disgusting attitude to take.

I hope Clarke recovers from this and it strengthens his resolve. I hope the near death situation makes him realise his life is worth living, and he didn't want it to end.

You'd hope that by 2014 this idea of it being 'selfish' would be a thing of the past :(.

Yeh, hate when people say it's the cowards way out.

That's not what LIIWBY is saying though, is it? I agree with him that (attempting to) commit suicide by causing an accident involving innocent others is not, on the face of it, a very social thing to do. However, it is also clear that people who do this are not thinking straight, so it's hard to judge really. I saw a very moving documentary the other day about a girl who was going to commit suicide and that followed her preparations. She planned the whole thing meticulously, said goodbye to her father and friends (who knew what she was planning) and finally overdosed in exactly the way she had planned. Suicide is always painful of course for everybody involved, but if people feel they are better off that way, I think this is a much more 'honourable' approach. I can not imagine how I would feel if my wife and kids perished in an accident caused by somebody committing suicide.

I saw a woman commit suicide by jumping in front of the Birmingham to Euston express train way back in 1988.  She literally exploded when the train hit her and the commuters waiting on the Hemel Hempstead platform were drenched in blood and gore.  People were running around in hysterics. 

For some unexplicable reason, I had gone into the waiting room, when I normally stood right where she jumped in front of the train.  I still recall it like it was yesterday even though it happened over 26 years ago.  I dont suppose it will ever leave me....

You'd hope that by 2014 this idea of it being 'selfish' would be a thing of the past :(.

That's not what LIIWBY is saying though, is it? I agree with him that (attempting to) commit suicide by causing an accident involving innocent others is not, on the face of it, a very social thing to do. However, it is also clear that people who do this are not thinking straight, so it's hard to judge really. I saw a very moving documentary the other day about a girl who was going to commit suicide and that followed her preparations. She planned the whole thing meticulously, said goodbye to her father and friends (who knew what she was planning) and finally overdosed in exactly the way she had planned. Suicide is always painful of course for everybody involved, but if people feel they are better off that way, I think this is a much more 'honourable' approach. I can not imagine how I would feel if my wife and kids perished in an accident caused by somebody committing suicide.

Was this girl terminally ill?

MrsC ‏@gemmacarlisle 23m23 minutes ago

Clarke's very poorly but he's alive and stable. Best Christmas gift we as a family could wish for. Thanks again.

That's a good way of looking at it, presuming it wasn't an accident.

Was this girl terminally ill?

No. 20 year old girl suffering from depression.