FIFA World Cup: 2030 hosts confirmed as Spain/Portugal/Morocco & Argentina/Paraguay/Uruguay

Noodles

Tbf it's not completely controversial to not sell proper beer in stadiums. UEFA only lifted their ban in 2018 - in the past CL/EL and major tournaments you couldn't get booze in the grounds. I'm more surprised they ever went with this in the first place considering the laws of the country. But doing an about turn 2 days before the tournament kicks off is ridiculous.

19 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Tbf it's not completely controversial to not sell proper beer in stadiums. UEFA only lifted their ban in 2018 - in the past CL/EL and major tournaments you couldn't get booze in the grounds. I'm more surprised they ever went with this in the first place considering the laws of the country. But doing an about turn 2 days before the tournament kicks off is ridiculous.

It's been their plan all along I'd imagine. Wait till the very last minute when they know it's too late for people to change plans then do a U turn. 

10 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

It's been their plan all along I'd imagine. Wait till the very last minute when they know it's too late for people to change plans then do a U turn. 

It’s fucking pathetic 

4 hours ago, GeordieDazzler said:

I don’t know if it’s been talked about yet but I assume there will be no (real) Iran fans at their games? 

With Qatar being Sunni and Iran Shia? I don’t know all the complexities of the situation but don’t they see each other as mortal enemies? 

Iran and Qatar have quite friendly relations despite the Shia - Sunni issue.

It's more of a regional proxy conflict between Saudi Arabia (Sunni) and Iran (Shia).  Qatar are more closely aligned with Iran, which I think is more down to disagreements with the Saudi's than anything else.

From a quick look online Iranians can travel to Qatar and apply for a 30 day travel visa on arrival.

3 minutes ago, Eveready said:

Iran and Qatar have quite friendly relations despite the Shia - Sunni issue.

It's more of a regional proxy conflict between Saudi Arabia (Sunni) and Iran (Shia).  Qatar are more closely aligned with Iran, which I think is more down to disagreements with the Saudi's than anything else.

From a quick look online Iranians can travel to Qatar and apply for a 30 day travel visa on arrival.

ah that makes sense, cheers man!

Host country authorities and FIFA will continue to ensure that the stadiums and surrounding areas provide an enjoyable, respectful and pleasant experience for all fans."

imagine your mate came back from a World Cup and you asked him how it was and he said it was "enjoyable, respectful and pleasant." :lol:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12098/12750180/world-cup-2022-fans-will-not-be-allowed-to-buy-alcohol-around-stadiums-during-qatar-tournament

A FIFA statement said: "Following discussions between host country authorities and FIFA, a decision has been made to focus the sale of alcoholic beverages on the FIFA Fan Festival, other fan destinations and licensed venues, removing sales points of beer from Qatar's FIFA World Cup 2022 stadium perimeters. There is no impact to the sale of Bud Zero which will remain available at all Qatar's World Cup stadiums." A spokesperson for brewing company Anheuser-Busch InBev said "Our customers buy Bud for its robust taste, not its alcoholic content. I predict our alcohol-free Bud Zero will sell even better in stadiums than the previous brand." "Well, that's the end of me," he later added.

9 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Fifa have been mugged off again then. Didn't realise til I read yesterday that the first game of the tournament was moved from Monday to Sunday, to give Qatar the first day to themselves. At Qatar's request, 3 months before the tournament :lol:

Also it’s usually the holders in the first game of the tournament not the hosts.

46 minutes ago, BlueStar said:

There is no impact to the sale of Bud Zero which will remain available at all Qatar's World Cup stadiums." A spokesperson for brewing company Anheuser-Busch InBev said "Our customers buy Bud for its robust taste, not its alcoholic content. I predict our alcohol-free Bud Zero will sell even better in stadiums than the previous brand." "Well, that's the end of me," he later added.

:lol:

Not paid much attention to the WC before now because it's clearly bleak af, but now it's here and more comes out and awful views and opinions are aired it's just worse and worse. Zero excitement for it at all, would rather not register with it at all tbh. I'll end up watching games because theyve denied me of perfectly good football that I'd usually be watching but the whole thig can get to fuck. 

54 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

I’m sure the FIFA execs had all these issues on their minds as they trousered the Qatari cash

i bet they can’t believe they got away with it 

Given it will be sold in hospitality areas they really have. 

Not entirely convinced this will have the desired outcome.

Are they trying to reduce 'anti-social behaviour' associated with drinking or is it pressure from more conservative elements in Qatar that they just don't want to see people drinking in public?

You would think people this would increase the amount of people getting shitfaced before the game so they don't sober up and try to smuggle alcohol into the stadiums.

Would also like to see how the sober zones can be kept civil without beating the shit out of the intoxicated.